Neural Basis of "Meaning"

A place for anything that doesn't fit into the existing forums

Neural Basis of "Meaning"

Postby ashley72 » Thu Jun 18, 2015 2:30 am

This flow-diagram below illustrates how "conceptualizations" or meaning are formed or built-up by layers of "abstract" representation.

Douglas Hofstadter has asserted that our minds are analogy makers. They map from source => target => source => target => ad infinitum....

This flow chart shows that at the base level, images are made up of raw vector inputs (pixels)... which progress through levels up to edges, local shapes, objects sub-objects (parts).... to the concept of categories...i.e man sitting.

Can you see that self-consciousness or self awareness is a state - based on both context (setting within the whole) and category?

Hint: Contextual awareness comes much higher up in representational layering.

This continual layering of contextual meaning adds more & more meaning to a rich conscious experience.
ashley72

Re: Neural Basis of "Meaning"

Postby DavidB » Thu Jun 18, 2015 7:58 am

I certainly think it is interesting ash, and I do wish I could understand it.

What is it getting at? Is it attempting to illustrate the mechanisms of direct experience, that is to say, is it illustrating what gives rise to perception of something, as opposed to nothing at all, or is it something else entirely?
“Wisdom is knowing I am nothing, Love is knowing I am everything, and between the two my life moves.” ― Sri Nisargadatta Maharaj
DavidB

Postby lmp » Thu Jun 18, 2015 3:03 pm

What I think David when I read ashleys post is that, if you are familiar with Krishnamurtis term 'choiceless awareness' which would be equivalent to Ashleys 'rich conscious experience' then out of the coiceless awareness we begin to choose what to conceptualize. Out of choiceless awareness we apply words, concepts, in this case - sitting man.

Thats all I see in the first post, perhaps there is more.
lmp

Postby lmp » Thu Jun 18, 2015 3:11 pm

Actually as I read it again Ashley is not saying that it is from the rich conscious experience that we add category and context, so I muddled it up. sry about that.
lmp

Postby ashley72 » Fri Jun 19, 2015 5:52 pm

As Lewis Carroll’s Alice might have phrased it: “You’re nothing but a pack of neurons." :lol:
ashley72

Postby ashley72 » Sun Jun 21, 2015 8:54 pm

All language if not all "meaning" is metaphorical... borrowed from something else!

Nearly every single abstract concept, something that is not concrete to our immediacy is borrowed from our immediacy!

Take the concept of electricity... people usually talk about electricity in terms of flow similar to water moving through water pipes.

Now let's think about thinking for a moment....what if thinking itself was nothing more than conceptual metaphor? The borrowing of something from our immediacy?

If we knew that this was 100% true... Where would the abstract concept of me or I be borrowed from? Obviously something from our immediacy but what exactly?

And if meaning is => metaphor (to borrow) you could change this title to the "Neural basis of Metaphor". :wink:
ashley72

Return to General Discussion