Non-conceptual knowledge

A place for anything that doesn't fit into the existing forums

Non-conceptual knowledge

Postby Mystic » Sun Jul 05, 2015 10:39 am

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6MfEt40m2G0

In the video link above, with Eckhart Tolle and Marianne Williamson, Eckhart Tolle speaks about the two types of knowledge. He refers to a "deeper knowing" as non-conceptual knowledge. This non-conceptual knowledge is very similar to the "gnosis" of the gnostics and other mystics.

That got me thinking about the Garden of Eden myth in the bible. It seems to me to be more of a metaphor and not a literal garden. If the garden is the mind then the separation is from this non-conceptual knowledge of wholeness into the dualistic knowledge of egoic thinking and conceptual judgements.

I also found an interesting saying on the internet, attributed to an unknown author: "Your mind is a garden and thoughts are the seeds, you can grow flowers or you can grow weeds".

In Jesus' parables he mentions seeds and I think he is referring to the seeds as being ideas and thoughts in the mind.
Mystic

Re: Non-conceptual knowledge

Postby DavidB » Tue Sep 08, 2015 11:05 am

I think you're right Mystic.

I think Eckhart does in one of his talks, refer to the time before humans develop the thinking/conceptual mind, as the garden of Eden.

The tree of the knowledge of good and evil, which is in the garden of Eden, along with the tree of life, is the tree from which Adam and Chava ate the forbidden fruit. It was the knowledge of good and evil (duality) which caused them both to be banished from the garden.
“Wisdom is knowing I am nothing, Love is knowing I am everything, and between the two my life moves.” ― Sri Nisargadatta Maharaj
DavidB

Return to General Discussion