Do conditions usually improve when a person is awakening?

A place for anything that doesn't fit into the existing forums

Do conditions usually improve when a person is awakening?

Postby oak tree » Fri Jul 24, 2015 4:11 pm

I remember Eckhart speaking in a video about how life conditions usually improve when a person is awakening.

In the last few months my situation seems to have become more difficult. Most days I deal with feelings of struggle and stress and not being able to cope. I do wonder if somehow I went wrong, made the wrong choices. Thoughts keep arising questioning if I'm awakening at all.
oak tree

Re: Do conditions usually improve when a person is awakening

Postby Manyana » Fri Jul 24, 2015 5:24 pm

He also says that there will always be challenges, they never go away. Usually a situation improves/changes when we fully accept it as it is and that the more difficult the situation the deeper the surrender needs to be. When we are caught in struggle and stress, it is purely the mind creating this, so the situation is not what is important but what your mind tells you about it.

In this short clip Eckhart says what really helps is to get to the point of being sick of your suffering.

"Your Thoughts Make You Suffer" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_G31YW1ecX0
Manyana

Postby oak tree » Fri Jul 24, 2015 5:49 pm

Thanks Manyana, that makes sense.

For the past 2 years I've been meditating on letting go of control and surrendering to life. Since then life seems to have become much more challenging. Perhaps this is what needs to be experienced? It feels like there is a lot of resistance inside me.
oak tree

Postby Onceler » Sat Jul 25, 2015 3:06 am

Don't know about awakening, but my internal conditions have improved immensely. My external conditions have remained pretty much the same, but when internal states change drastically, I.e., loss of fear, anxiety and depression and the psychological apparatus dependent on these states changes.....the external conditions simply become life, neither good nor bad, but almost always interesting.
Be present, be pleasant.
Onceler

Postby rachMiel » Sat Jul 25, 2015 4:09 am

The process of waking up to a deeper reality can be very challenging.

When you're asleep, you learn how to navigate the dream of consensus reality. It's familiar, and there's security/solidity in that familiarity.

When you're awake, the source of security/solidity is quite different, but even stronger.

It's in the in-between zone that things can get really tough. You no longer have the security of the known (consensus reality), but you do not have the security of awakeness yet.

I'd say: Keep chugging along, with passion and courage.

At some point you might find you need a trusted teacher, someone who can help guide you towards wakefulness.
Merrily, merrily, merrily, merrily ...
rachMiel

Postby oak tree » Sat Jul 25, 2015 3:37 pm

Thanks Onceler, I had felt free of depression, anxiety etc until recently. My internal state was much improved for years. Recently negativity has returned.
Yes rachmiel, i will keep going. Thanks, I feel motivated by your post. I did have a trusted spiritual teacher but at the moment I cannot afford his fees.
oak tree

Postby dijmart » Sat Jul 25, 2015 4:01 pm

oak tree wrote:Thanks Onceler, I had felt free of depression, anxiety etc until recently. My internal state was much improved for years. Recently negativity has returned.Yes rachmiel, i will keep going. Thanks, I feel motivated by your post. I did have a trusted spiritual teacher but at the moment I cannot afford his fees.

accepting the present moment includes your internal states of unease also. Ask, who is aware of and watching this internal state. Focus your attention on..that...the "I AM". The ego loves for you to question and doubt. Remember ego is complete identification with form, even thoughts and emotion. Thoughts, feelings, emotions can and do arise, don't beat your self up about it. It's all uncaused. You are not who or what you think yourself to be. You are ultimately the watcher of the play, the character of the play and the stage on which its played. But right now you're thinking you are just the character.
Take what you like and leave the rest.
dijmart

Postby rachMiel » Sat Jul 25, 2015 4:49 pm

What dijmart said! :-)
Merrily, merrily, merrily, merrily ...
rachMiel

Postby oak tree » Sun Jul 26, 2015 12:06 pm

Thank you dijmart. That's very helpful.
oak tree