How long will curing emotional disconnection take?

A place for anything that doesn't fit into the existing forums

How long will curing emotional disconnection take?

Postby Freak » Mon Jul 27, 2015 11:02 am

I have serious emotional disconnection which I had from birth or early childhood. Additionally, it seems that emotions pull me away from my body, instead of toward it, creating repression. When I took LSD or got really sick, the emotions would come out, maybe they weakened my repressive mechanisms.

I realized recently that deep down, my true desire is to connect with people, and that loneliness was causing me to feel horrible. I did some bodily awareness training, and for some limited amount of time I felt euphoria and a generalized feeling of love so strong that it almost moved me to tears, which I experienced before when doing this. But once again it is gone.

How long should it take for me to develop a connection to my emotions as strong as that of other people? I'm still prone to angry outbursts, hypersexuality, sadomasochism, and anxiety, which means I am still disconnected. And of course, it is doubtful since I had this condition for very long and it's pretty extreme. But since I felt this hole in the dark rainclouds shine some light of love, maybe I'm not that far off. I want to know because I'm afraid that I will get bored again and move onto something else and forget about this, like how my life has always been. How long should it take if it's my #1 priority to have a level of connection to my emotions that matches other peoples'?
Freak

Re: How long will curing emotional disconnection take?

Postby dijmart » Mon Jul 27, 2015 7:41 pm

I don't think your question can be answered by anyone on this forum. Working closely with a therapist may be your best option with a dissociative disorder. They are trained on how to guide you back to your emotions and being able to feel them again. If you've tried this and it didn't help, then perhaps find a different therapist. I don't know if spiritual advice or practice is going to help your situation at this time, it may actually be harmful.
Take what you like and leave the rest.
dijmart

Postby alex » Tue Jul 28, 2015 3:00 am

It will take as long as it needs to take - there is hope for you, truly.
Do you have any idea what it is that triggered the suppression and disconnection?
If you do I would go there, to that place, to where the darkness really is. Put yourself in situations that bring out those emotions - it can be scary as fuck but those emotions are the ones that most need to be felt and embraced.
Ask the universe for a little help - it never goes astray!

Namaste x
alex

Postby Enlightened2B » Tue Jul 28, 2015 3:12 am

Unless, you can positively know the ultimate source of this emotional disconnection or emotion, bringing up darker emotions/thoughts, are only going to exacerbate it. Meaning, if you know the root cause of the emotion/thought pattern, etc, then going to that place can be incredibly healing. But, most of us simply don't know where the source is, as it likely stemmed from childhood or a past life or both or a combination of things.

In that case, giving focus to those dark, negative emotions without some sort of path or guide to take us to the root, can likely add more attention/energy to something we don't necessarily want to add more attention/energy to. Reality is thought responsive, perhaps to a lesser degree than non physical realms, but still very much is.

In that case, I would look into a shamanic healer or someone who is versed in understanding energy healing/psychotherapy.
Enlightened2B

Postby alex » Tue Jul 28, 2015 4:19 am

It can all be a bit of an unknown really - spirituality is incredibly messy. I think generally focusing attention in the direction of pain and holding it in loving tenderness helps. Who knows what will be bought to light, what you might open and what path the universe might put you on.
Unfortunately not everyone can have access to a true healer / shaman. There are many teachers out there today who suggest that no teacher at all is needed... Of course if you have someone around to help or can go to someone who is truly conscious then that's great, though I still think that most of the work has to be done inside, trusting your own experience and intuition.
alex

Postby Enlightened2B » Tue Jul 28, 2015 6:04 am

You don't need a shamanic healer of course to do what the OP is asking. It was just a suggestion to the OP, since many people perform it and are versed in it. It can be very difficult to try to assess the root cause of an emotion/thought pattern all on your own with no guidance. I agree that intuition is ultimately the way and a greater way to access it, is through silencing of the mind. But, not everyone has great access to their guides/higher selves (intuition). Sometimes it can be useful for someone to help clear blockages to gain that access. Meditation is wonderful to embrace it all lovingly and to go 'beyond' the thinking mind, but sometimes, extra help is needed. There are many healing options out there to assist. Granted, the only true healing would be one that acts as a guide of sorts and assists the person in/to go within themselves.
Enlightened2B

Postby Onceler » Tue Jul 28, 2015 1:26 pm

Do you have a practice where you sit and face yourself unflinching, rather than distract and hide? This can be good, as emotions will rise and reconnect. If it gets too overwhelming, focus on your breathing. A good inquiry is asking yourself "How does it feel to be me?" And let the answer come, nonverbally.

This takes awhile, probably years. There are really no shortcuts that I know. The pain can heighten before it goes away. At least it did for me and those I know who do similar practices.
Be present, be pleasant.
Onceler

Postby Freak » Sat Aug 08, 2015 12:43 am

I forgot I made this thread so i made another. Dang.

To answer your questions, I don't think my emotional disconnection was caused by life situations, but by disconnections in my brain. My mom was loving.

What drove me was not a conscience, because I don't believe I have one at this point, but knowing that money, success, all those things are pointless, and that living by purpose is what is the true good about life. But I can't. I have no input to purpose. Thoughts are the only thing that can motivate me, and knowing their falsehood, I can't live like this.

So I need to live like a robot. I can't even interact socially like it's automatic, everything is manual. And I also have this anxiety in the background. It doesn't affect me whatsoever. Those are emotions which I would normally be connected to, and use to socially interact. But I'm disconnected. So the emotions don't go away, and my robotic self remains that way.

A therapist can't cure a disconnect. Neither can drugs. I need to cure myself. But I don't know how long I have to listen to my body until progress is made. I have trouble with motivation.
Freak

Return to General Discussion