There's No Such Thing as Ego

A place for anything that doesn't fit into the existing forums

There's No Such Thing as Ego

Postby Mystic » Fri Jul 31, 2015 8:00 pm

An interesting thought, the "ego" is not a noun... :D

http://www.peterrussell.com/SP/NoEgo.php

What we call the ego is not another separate self. It is as a mode of being that can dominate our thinking, decisions, speech, and actions, leading us to behave in ways that are uncaring, self-centered, or manipulative. Our exploration of ego would be more fruitful if we stopped using the word as a noun, which immediately implies some "thing", and instead thought of ego as a mental processes that can occupy our attention. For this a verb is a more appropriate part of speech. I am "ego-ing".

Mystic

Re: There's No Such Thing as Ego

Postby rachMiel » Fri Jul 31, 2015 8:51 pm

Nice. Ties right in with process philosophy and Buddhist emptiness, both of which view reality as a dynamic process composed of gobs of interdependent sub-processes, not as a set of fixed substances.
Merrily, merrily, merrily, merrily ...
rachMiel

Postby Enlightened2B » Fri Jul 31, 2015 10:05 pm

Really like what he says in this part:

The difference is subtle, but very important. If I see the ego as a separate self, some thing, then it is easy to fall into the belief—common in many spiritual circles—that I must get rid of my ego, transcend it, or overcome it in some way. But seeing ego as a mental process, a system of thinking that I get caught in, suggests that I need to step out of that mode of thinking—to look at the world through a different lens, one less tainted by fear, insecurity and attachment.

This is a much easier and more effective approach. When I notice myself caught up in egoic thinking, rather than berating myself (or my imagined ego), I can notice what is going on and step back from it. This doesn't mean I have eliminated that way of thinking. It will surely return. And when it does, I can choose to step out of it again. Transcending the ego thus becomes an ongoing practice rather than a far-off goal.

What I've been practicing on my own.....deep breathing (counting from 1-5 and backwards) focusing on the breath and centering myself in a place of presence and responding from there throughout the day. Granted, this practice won't fully transcend the ego doing this (as that is impossible while incarnate), you do place less limits on yourself by aligning with a larger, more inclusive perspective.
Enlightened2B

Postby smiileyjen101 » Sat Aug 01, 2015 6:27 am

Now this discussion has explained why folks get their knickers all in a knot about ego -

But then again we/I (some of us) had Skyhooks to explain that back in the 70s :wink:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UbQbmbNTyXU
Our rights start deep within our humanity; they end where another's begin~~ SmileyJen
http://www.balancinginfluences.com
smiileyjen101

Postby EnterZenFromThere » Sat Aug 01, 2015 2:28 pm

It makes me happy to see this discussed. When people say things like "that's just my ego" etc. as Peter Russell says using it as a noun, it feels so slimey to me. Like they are excluding ego from themselves and then blaming it for everything. Ego may then becomes a scape goat used to absolve personal responsibility. That process of exclusion is (ironically) pretty egoic :P

I din't usually consider ego. I find all those conceptualisation around it to be so heavy and coagulating. I prefer just exploring and accepting and loving <3
EnterZenFromThere

Postby Webwanderer » Sat Aug 01, 2015 3:32 pm

So if 'ego' can be seen and perceived as a verb, why not human as a verb as well? From a greater reality perspective I am currently 'humaning'.

WW
Webwanderer

Postby EnterZenFromThere » Sat Aug 01, 2015 5:01 pm

I like that WW :)

I suppose Be-ing would fit too?
EnterZenFromThere

Postby dijmart » Sat Aug 01, 2015 5:14 pm

The moment you become aware of the ego in you, it is strictly speaking no longer the ego, but just an old, conditioned mind-pattern. Ego implies unawareness. Awareness and ego cannot coexist.
Eckhart Tolle

I like this quote!
Take what you like and leave the rest.
dijmart

Postby EnterZenFromThere » Sat Aug 01, 2015 6:01 pm

I like that too Di :) good ole Mr Tolle
EnterZenFromThere

Postby rachMiel » Sat Aug 01, 2015 6:18 pm

dijmart wrote:
The moment you become aware of the ego in you, it is strictly speaking no longer the ego, but just an old, conditioned mind-pattern. Ego implies unawareness. Awareness and ego cannot coexist.
Eckhart Tolle

Hmm ... I don't know if awareness and ego can coexist, a la parallel computer processing. But I do know, from experience and observation, that mind can rapidly shift between awareness and ego, a la sequential computer processing (time sharing). And I think that's the default state of mind: to be aware of something (sensory input, for example), then think about it from an ego perspective (interpret it through the filter of self), be aware, think, be aware, think, etc. Since this shifting between awareness and ego-based thought occurs so quickly and continuously, the result IS a kind of (faux) coexistence of awareness and ego, just like time sharing on a computer comes off like parallel processing.

The only exception to this would be extended periods of pure awareness or pure ego ... as in self-less meditation or a ME! tantrum. Other than that, awareness and ego are always hanging around together.
rachMiel

Postby dijmart » Sat Aug 01, 2015 8:58 pm

Space consciousness means that in addition to being conscious of things – which always comes down to sense perceptions, thoughts, and emotions – there is an undercurrent of awareness. ...you are also conscious of being conscious. If you can sense an alert inner stillness in the back ground while things happen in the foreground – that’s it!
Space consciousness represents not only freedom from ego, but also from dependency on the things of this world, from materialism and materiality. It is the spiritual dimension which alone can give transcendent and true meaning to this world.
E.T.

Sorry, for the quoting, but this says what I'd like to reply.
dijmart

Postby rachMiel » Sat Aug 01, 2015 9:16 pm

dijmart wrote:Space consciousness represents not only freedom from ego, but also from dependency on the things of this world, from materialism and materiality. It is the spiritual dimension which alone can give transcendent and true meaning to this world.
E.T.

I dunno ...

Whenever I run into an assertion that this is THE ONLY WAY to achieve this or that exalted spiritual state of being ... a big red flag goes up. I'm with Krishnamurti on this one: "Truth is a pathless land." What Tolle calls space consciousness might work for him, but that doesn't mean it works for everyone. That's how religious dogma gets started: To achieve X, you MUST do Y. Bah humbug! ;-)

No offense, dijmart, you know that, right? I totally respect what everyone here has to say about The Big Questions, Tolle included. Some of it just resonates more or less with me, and sometimes I feel the urge to disagree or challenge.
rachMiel

Postby dijmart » Sat Aug 01, 2015 9:54 pm

Hmm, I'm surprised by your post? I didn't see it in the same way, but to each their own. No offense taken.
dijmart

Postby dijmart » Sat Aug 01, 2015 10:10 pm

The only exception to this would be extended periods of pure awareness or pure ego ... as in self-less meditation or a ME! tantrum. Other than that, awareness and ego are always hanging around together.

RM,
Part of your post above was why I posted Tolle's quote, because you state the "only" this and "always" that. Which I felt was not accurate in the way I see it. In your quote you see it very black and white, but I see it more grey. One foot in awareness of being aware and one foot in living, thinking, feeling, ect. Which it seems Tolle is saying here-"can sense an alert inner stillness in the back ground while things happen in the foreground – that’s it!"
Last edited by dijmart on Sat Aug 01, 2015 10:17 pm, edited 2 times in total.
dijmart

Postby rachMiel » Sat Aug 01, 2015 10:15 pm

Aha. Good catch. I rarely indulge in absolutes like only and always, so thanks for reminding me when I fall off the wagon.

Interestingly, it's that kind of absolute thinking that I was objecting to in the Tolle quote you posted! Where's that mirror ... ? ;-)
rachMiel

Next

Return to General Discussion