Being aware of innerbody or breath..something you "do"?

A place for anything that doesn't fit into the existing forums

Being aware of innerbody or breath..something you "do"?

Postby Nyseto » Thu Aug 27, 2015 6:39 pm

So when meditating or coming back to the present moment, I get confused about something. When they say be aware of your breath or innerbody, I end up thinking about them instead. I already have a hard time to just not engage in thoughts so that's why I'm looking towards using an anchor to make it easier to get the knack of it. Is awareness instead just pure feeling because I don't understand how you can just watch your breath other than trying to use your eyes. Sometimes when I try to be aware I find myself like it takes too much work to be aware of every little thing. How can awareness be nondoing and passive when plenty of meditation tips say to be aware of something as an anchor? That just makes it feel like awareness is a doing because who is being aware..my ego is being aware. Am I not supposed to be aware of anything and just be aware or what? It feels like I am using my ego to not use my ego to use my ego to not use my ego. I just don't get it.
"There is no such thing as enlightenment. The appreciation of this fact is itself enlightenment." -Nisargadatta Maharaj
Nyseto

Re: Being aware of innerbody or breath..something you "do"?

Postby lmp » Thu Aug 27, 2015 9:21 pm

how beautiful it is to see
instead of thinking about what you see

I think that in time you will get to experience what you today grasp, or what interests you, intellectually. An anchor might be something you feel sure about, a place to return to, something you feel sure is true for you even if noone in your social circles seem to confirm it.

To be aware of something feels in the beginning like 'there seems to be an option here' , while being unaware feels like 'I'm very angry or afraid or I hate my father etc, to be unaware is to be consumed by the emotional state you are in. To be aware doesnt necessarily mean you know what to do, but that the compulsion of thoughts/feelings has come to a pause. Unfortunately 'the option' is hidden and so there are many questions.

The ego is a bit of a riddle until it is seen that it generates the contradictions you exemplify. It is both the thing to overcome and the thing that is trying to overcome itself. Just continue to try to clarify this probleem for yourself, if you have that interest.
lmp

Postby Webwanderer » Thu Aug 27, 2015 11:07 pm

To 'watch' something such as breath is not a reference to seeing with the eyes. It is to be conscious of as a point of focus. Watching the breath is just a mental exercise to train the mind to focus. There is no thought in breath itself (unless you add it to the equation), there is just observation. Personally, I'm not a big fan of watching the breath when there are more effective means of alignment with one's true nature - which is after all, the point of stilling the mind.

I suggest taking a few, steady, connected breaths, and then relax into presence awareness, or conscious being. Let go of identification with the body and identify as just consciousness, present and aware in the moment. Make no judgments on the content of the moment, only awareness of it. This is a feeling exercise. Feel self as spacial awareness. All material items, an all mental and emotional arisings are just content within the true nature of your being. Repeat a few breaths periodically and rest again as consciousness being - being whatever is present in awareness of the moment.

I also consider 'inner body' as being a bit odd. As energy beings, it is the physical body that is 'inner' to the conscious energy that is fundamental to the infinite potential of consciousness. The physical body is more of a point of reference within a greater beingness. Well, that's my take for whatever it's worth.

WW
Webwanderer

Postby dijmart » Fri Aug 28, 2015 2:27 am

Maybe this from tolle will help...

become aware of the entire inner energy field of the body. Don’t think about it — feel it. By doing this, you reclaim consciousness from the mind.

When you can feel the inner body clearly as a single field of energy, let go, if possible, of any visual image and focus exclusively on the feeling. If you can, also drop any mental image you may still have of the physical body. All that is left then is an all-encompassing sense of presence or “beingness,” and the inner body is felt to be without a boundary. Then take your attention even more deeply into that feeling. Become one with it. Merge with the energy field, so that there is no longer a perceived duality of the observer and the observed, of you and your body. The distinction between inner and outer also dissolves now, so there is no inner body anymore. By going deeply into the body, you have transcended the body.
Take what you like and leave the rest.
dijmart

Postby Nyseto » Fri Aug 28, 2015 4:08 am

I tried it, there is just nothing. Just isness. Is awareness like observing without an observer? I'm usually afraid of heights and I was walking among some rails downtown about 100 feet off the ground like I didn't care, it was weird. It feels like being a nobody just floating along.
"There is no such thing as enlightenment. The appreciation of this fact is itself enlightenment." -Nisargadatta Maharaj
Nyseto

Postby kiki » Fri Aug 28, 2015 3:51 pm

It is only awareness that observes. When a "me" arises the mind has created a seemingly separate "observer" who takes credit for observing; this is the subject - object duality in which most people live. In that world everything that is perceived passes through this mind created lens, distorting everything, and that is the root of struggle.

Without that me/ego/I-identity lens to distort what is seen there is just simple observing taking place all by itself. This can be sensed as "is-ness", or am-ness, or presence, or now - there are lots of names for it. It is simply present in its fullness taking in everything through the senses, undistorted and fresh, with no mentally created dividing line between anything. Everything "just is" as it is - no naming, no labeling, no judging, no resisting, no clinging.

I'm usually afraid of heights and I was walking among some rails downtown about 100 feet off the ground like I didn't care, it was weird. It feels like being a nobody just floating along.

Yeah, that sounds right. In reality, there is no separate you other than what the mind has created, but people have developed an identity out of that mind created "me". That me isn't actually real because it can come and go, as you experienced while walking. Without the me there is just awareness observing things as they actually are.
"Miss Kelly, perhaps you'd like this flower. I seem to have misplaced my buttonhole ... Miss Kelly, you know, when you wear my flower you make it look beautiful." Elwood P. Dowd
---
Your donation will help keep us online.
kiki

Postby Nyseto » Fri Aug 28, 2015 8:24 pm

I'm finally starting to understand the knack of it. It is like a pure, raw, knowing. The only problem is when I know that I know and that's when mind identification happens. I have an analogy for this. Mind is like a glass of beer filled up to the brim and as you're walking around thinking, you are spilling that beer left and right. But in a meditative state, that glass of beer is just still. There's no jerk-like movements or disruptions in your being. I feel the reason it's so difficult to get the knack of presence is because I don't settle deep enough into it. There's just small dips into it as opposed to a solid hour of nothing but presence where I finally have a strong contrast between thinking and awareness. Funny enough, this awareness is my very essence but it's also beyond me. I can't find it anywhere and be like, "Yes, THAT'S awareness". It's like an observerless observer located nowhere. The hardest thing to observe though would have to be emotions. They're like thoughts coming and going but feel 1000x more real.
Nyseto

Postby DavidB » Mon Aug 31, 2015 12:40 pm

I've found that being present tends to slightly draw my attention to the inner body as a consequence rather than as a deliberate action. It's like because I'm always aware of any emotional reaction/state that may trigger unconsciousness, it tends to slightly draw some of my attention to how I'm feeling inwardly.

The inner body awareness is also a consequence of simply being in love with aliveness. It simply feels good to feel good. :)

So there's a few things going on there, but none of it specifically deliberate or any sort of practice or technique.

Focusing on breathing is a specific technique that helps to become used to not thinking. Once we realize our true nature however, these techniques are no longer really necessary.
“Wisdom is knowing I am nothing, Love is knowing I am everything, and between the two my life moves.” ― Sri Nisargadatta Maharaj
DavidB

Return to General Discussion