Ramana Maharshi - LIFE Magazine Article(1949)

A place for anything that doesn't fit into the existing forums

Ramana Maharshi - LIFE Magazine Article(1949)

Postby rodriguez_88 » Sat Sep 12, 2015 10:37 am

Cool article on the Maharshi.
rodriguez_88

Re: Ramana Maharshi - LIFE Magazine Article(1949)

Postby CaiHong » Tue Sep 15, 2015 2:40 am

Thankyou Rodriguez,

For posting that article. I really enjoyed it. When I was 18 in the early 70s I travelled to India to join the Sri Aurobindo ashram in Pondicherry , this was to be forever only to be told it was full and to go away. Consequently we stayed at an ashram outside Pondicherry run by a self proclaimed guru (ex Canadian wrestler in his 60s). We stayed there a month and practiced various yoga disciplines, to be honest it was the best month of my life.

The article got me thinking of my time there and whether or not I should go there for my next holiday and participate in a yoga retreat. I loved the advertisements peppered throughout the article.

Thanks again

CaiHong
CaiHong

Postby rodriguez_88 » Wed Sep 16, 2015 12:22 pm

Glad you enjoyed it. :)
rodriguez_88

Postby EnterZenFromThere » Sat Sep 19, 2015 10:43 am

I loved this article too - especially the reverence that this unashamed non-believing journalist gave to Ramana. I remember the first time I saw a picture of him recognising how authentically relaxed and strong he looked - like a benevolent King.

I also enjoyed the adverts. My favourite was the Listerfoam for tobacco breath. I remember reading about how early advertisers developed schemes to convince the customer of a scientific-sounding disease which they would be socially mocked for behind their back. Then offering the product as a solution along with some kind of scientific evidence (whether valid or not). I think the company I was thinking of was actually Listerine so this advert is probably a living example of that system in action. Fascinating stuff! It's amazing how intentionally deceitful those advertisers were (and remain). A funny juxtaposition to the honest humility of the wonderful Ramana.
EnterZenFromThere

Postby rodriguez_88 » Sat Sep 19, 2015 9:52 pm

EnterZenFromThere wrote:... A funny juxtaposition to the honest humility of the wonderful Ramana.

:lol:
rodriguez_88

Return to General Discussion