Ambition and Survival

A place for anything that doesn't fit into the existing forums

Ambition and Survival

Postby powerofnow42 » Wed Sep 16, 2015 10:29 pm

Where does the concept of passion, growth, ambition and even survival fit into my life if I am constantly present? How do I provide for myself is such a competitive environment as urban america without letting my ego inspire me?

I do not mean to criticize, but only to understand.
powerofnow42

Re: Ambition and Survival

Postby Rob X » Thu Sep 17, 2015 5:27 pm

Welcome to the forum P42.

powerofnow42 wrote:How do I provide for myself is such a competitive environment as urban america without letting my ego inspire me?

As long as there is a body-mind-brain there will be an ego. Ego is an instrumental adaptation designed to help us navigate the world - without it the organism would regress to the functionality of a worm (although for all I know worms may have rudimentary egos.) We can no more bypass ego than we can the body-mind.

But just as we might come to see that the body-mind does not define our deepest identity, it can be seen that the same applies to the ego. It doesn't need to be bypassed it simply needs to be recognised as ultimately not what you are. In spiritual teachings ego refers to 'ego identification', it's the identification that's the issue not the ego (and by extension, passion, ambition, survival etc.)
Rob X

Postby DavidB » Fri Sep 18, 2015 11:15 am

Passion, growth, ambition and even survival, are all good things to have, when our mind is operating from the place of presence. There is nothing wrong with being human, this is perfectly fine and no problem at all. It only becomes a problem when we become totally identified with who we think we are. It's ok to have goals and to be driven, so long as we remember that who we are inside, is this present state awareness, that is the source of all life.

BTW, don't try and be present all the time. It's fine to simply be present when you remember, don't make being present into a goal to be achieved. You are the presence already, simply realize that sometimes presence can become obscured by distractions and identifications, that's all.
“Wisdom is knowing I am nothing, Love is knowing I am everything, and between the two my life moves.” ― Sri Nisargadatta Maharaj
DavidB

Postby powerofnow42 » Thu Sep 24, 2015 5:57 pm

Rob X and David B,

Thanks for your helpful answers to my question. I will consider and meditate on them.

David
powerofnow42

Postby Webwanderer » Fri Sep 25, 2015 12:39 am

powerofnow42 wrote:Where does the concept of passion, growth, ambition and even survival fit into my life if I am constantly present? How do I provide for myself is such a competitive environment as urban america without letting my ego inspire me?

It's the dance of life. Passion, growth, ambition and survival fit perfectly in this amazing adventure we find ourselves in. Take presence with you, as best you can, in all your adventures and explorations. The human experience is designed to get a little lost along the way. It's okay. Just remember who you are in frequent moments of presence as you go and enjoy the journey.

There's no right or wrong in the greater sense, there's only the experience of being alive in the human form while it lasts. Be the best you can be and don't be too harsh when you make some mistakes. We all stumble a bit as we go. Your emotions will guide you if you let them. They are a real value in finding the alignment with one's true nature for those that consider their message as they arise.

WW
Webwanderer

Return to General Discussion