Enlightenment bliss vs chemical bliss (drugs)

A place for anything that doesn't fit into the existing forums

Enlightenment bliss vs chemical bliss (drugs)

Postby Nyseto » Sat Sep 19, 2015 4:57 am

So in the past I experimented with certain ego-destroying drugs that brought on euphoria/bliss one couldn't imagine. Of course I also suffered from an addiction which put me in a downward spiral of depression which lasted a while. The good news is that I have been completely sober almost two years now. Now what I've wondered is how peaceful one can become naturally via being present compared to any chemical experience which heightens awareness as well. Ever since then I never wanted to go down that path again and started meditating/found out about presence, etc. Of course taking drugs has a slew of adverse effects but that is why people use them-because they lower inhibitions and put you in the moment. If anyone here has had enough beers without being completely intoxicated, you know what I mean...you wish you can be that carefree 24/7, SOBER. Can anyone relate/thoughts?
"There is no such thing as enlightenment. The appreciation of this fact is itself enlightenment." -Nisargadatta Maharaj
Nyseto

Re: Enlightenment bliss vs chemical bliss (drugs)

Postby EnterZenFromThere » Sun Sep 20, 2015 10:55 am

I can relate to this nyseto. I used to use drugs and alcohol as a kind of self-medication to have brief periods of relative peace - which I then suffered for pretty intensely after the high faded. Since going sober and exploring the insecurities within myself that led me to feel the need for drugs I can say that it feels much more pleasant this way. I feel like I'm making more substantial and lasting progress than the short lived and often detrimental impact of drugs and drink.

I feel like spirituality is basically about the resolution of insecurity. That insecurity is the nature of our ego (which I feel is our sense of self that believes itself separate from the rest of reality - this sense of separation being the insecurity we experience as anxiety / fear which motivates our search for lasting peace).

From what I gather from reading the teachings of Ramana Maharshi, Eckhart Tolle, Adyashanti and Francis Bennett (other guides are available...) is that true and lasting happiness is the true nature of all of us. This lasting happiness is the eternity of the present itself - which is who we really are. The awareness that experiences the actions, thoughts and feelings arising to and from it. Awareness has no form and cannot be experienced like we experience external things in life. Istead we look within and relax our awareness from the external objects appearing and disappearing to us, and instead attend to our fundamental sense of being - the 'I Am' that is the only consistent aspect of our ongoing life experience. Given the right focus and personal life conditions this can lead to a seeing through of the relative aspect of our life and into a lasting and evolving experience of our eternal self resulting in a direct experience that everything is completely and unquestionably ok. This contentment then becomes the backdrop from which we go about our lives - a contentment that we now directly live and transfer into our worldly experience.

That's roughly how I see the whole self-realisation / enlightenment thing at the moment. I think the best thing any of us can do is to focus on what part of ourself most requires our attention right now? Where is our insecurity and sense of disconnection from the whole of life most prominent right now? Then relax our attention on all the bodily and mental sensations that come up associated with that insecurity and let it bathe in the peace of our loving awareness. Become totally accepting of all our actions, physical senses, thoughts and emotions - no matter how ugly or beautiful or strange or trivial or majestic or profound they feel to us. My feeling is that loving acceptance is our true nature and that becoming that loving acceptance for everything we experience brings us closer to this fundamental nature allowing us unite with it and live a life of compassionate service to our true self.

I think I went on a bit of rant there. I hope it is more helpful than preachy! It certainly helps me to write this stuff out so my thanks to you for asking the question :)
EnterZenFromThere

Postby TribalInstinct23 » Wed Sep 23, 2015 1:27 am

I'm not so sure that drugs, at least the ones I have taken in the past, are truly ego destroying. And if they are, they come with t a hugely detrimental effect to the body. It's not sustainable.

MDMA is probably the closest I have come in my life to ego liberation, but it's very strange. The experience is misleading, because it fades. It's just like everything else you experience, that fleeting happiness or unhappiness that has it's basis in form. How can something that comes and goes be true reality or show you your true self?

No doubt some psychonauts would disagree with me but I maintain that it all has to come from within. Drugs bring it on from without, they induce it. Take the drug away, and the effect goes away.
TribalInstinct23

Postby CaiHong » Thu Sep 24, 2015 12:26 am

There was a time when I would self medicate with alcohol and could not imagine how I could ever cope or enjoy life without it. ET said something, I can't quote verbatim about the world would be even crazier or a bigger mess if people didn't use drugs to calm themselves down, something to that effect which rather shocked me coming from a recovery abstinence background.
The highs come at such a cost, are more fleeting that they are just not worth it. Increasing my awareness is more substainable and although it doesn't provide the instant high a few drinks can provide the overall peace and contentment I feel is far more satisfying. It has taken awhile to get to a place of relative peace though.
Enterthezen, your post was not preachy, it was spoken from your own personal experience with drugs and alcohol and can only be useful readers. it spoke to me.

CaiHong
CaiHong

Postby phantombaz » Fri Nov 27, 2015 5:29 am

Nyseto wrote:So in the past I experimented with certain ego-destroying drugs that brought on euphoria/bliss one couldn't imagine. Of course I also suffered from an addiction which put me in a downward spiral of depression which lasted a while. The good news is that I have been completely sober almost two years now. Now what I've wondered is how peaceful one can become naturally via being present compared to any chemical experience which heightens awareness as well. Ever since then I never wanted to go down that path again and started meditating/found out about presence, etc. Of course taking drugs has a slew of adverse effects but that is why people use them-because they lower inhibitions and put you in the moment. If anyone here has had enough beers without being completely intoxicated, you know what I mean...you wish you can be that carefree 24/7, SOBER. Can anyone relate/thoughts?

Are you doing drugs to cover something up, sweepings the mess under the rug so to speak, the mess will always be there just covered with a rug, remove the rug and there it is, you still have to deal with the mess no matter, its just a case of when you move the rug, the mess will always be there. now I'm not saying its bad or good doing drugs (weed etc) as long as your not trying to cover something by using them, reliance on drugs becomes more and more, which is dangerous. Once you can and have totally accepted what is, then things like pharmaceutical drugs, prescribed antidepressants become useless, beer is nothing more then a drink it loses its value of covering etc.. coffee tho has it plus side, and there are many benefits, coffee can help, if you've had a bad nights sleep, dogs braking all night and u just dont reach that deep sleep, plus coffee tastes nice a good aroma too (IMHO) however, people to turn to coffee for the answers, i feel stress best have a coffee to take my mind off it, which is the wrong use.

Accepting what is, is the true nature of being present.
phantombaz

Return to General Discussion