I or One

A place for anything that doesn't fit into the existing forums

I or One

Postby atte72 » Wed Sep 23, 2015 12:15 pm

Hello everyone!
I am new here and, since I registered, I have been reading your interesting discussions. I have noticed some expressions that are frequently used here and that I had not heard before (but it could be because English is a foreign language for me... I hope you will be patients with my mistakes, btw), like a doer is someone who is interested in acting in the world while someone who is interested in being is a... beer? (silly joke, I know, but since beer is spirit, it kind of works :)).
I have also read discussions about ego, personality and Oneness and I have thought: have they really realized that oneness? I have not, to the One is still an idea to me. If someone asked me, out of the blue, "who are you?", I am 100% sure I would answer with my name, family name, my role as a mum and maybe my job situation :). Even so, I actually do not identify with those definitions any more. I know that all of those definitions will lose their meaning when my life ends and nevertheless, I would still be. That warmth and peace that I feel sometimes in my heart when I keep it open, would still be there. And, from that heart and open state of mind, I can feel the connection with others. Is this the oneness I read about in this forum?

A metaphor I heard years ago comes to my mind: we are all bottles in the sea, each one is different from the others (different size, colour, shape) and, within each bottle, there is the same see water.
I liked that a lot. If we use this methafor, we can say that the egoic mind is this:
"I am a big green bottle. I am a great bottle and I need others to see how great I am, otherwise I feel small. They must not dare offend me by saying I am fat or ugly. But maybe they are right, I am not that great... actually I feel like a worm, that must be why he/she did not love me and left me, I am useless, I am depressed..."
Or any other egoic issue, we all know how it works.
Not to mention how the bottle world works: green bottles think red bottles are horrible and must be destroyed. But red bottles agree with yellow bottles that green bottles are the worse. Red bottles stop for a while to fight with dark red bottles, just to defeat green bottles with the help of yellow bottles (who have troubles with orange bottles, but put that aside for a while, too). That is how a big bottle war starts. And it becomes a real mess when purple and brown bottles join the dispute and it becomes a world bottle war! But then the war ends because all those bottles agree that gray bottles are actually the worst and must be destroyed :).

Then there are bottles that say:
I am a bottle full of water, like all others. My purpose is to share that water my own personal way. My own specific size, shape and colour are functional to what I am destinated to do. If I were a giant, square and heavy bottle, how could the small pre school children use me to drink? So, if you think about it... I am better than heavy giant bottles, those are useless for children (ego always tries this). Oh but, it's true: giant bottles are useful for giants, while I am useless for giants, I am too small, so who am I to judge? This is not like me, I was just being silly... Well, anyway no one can deny that those pink bottles are so stupid (ego always tries and sometimes it does succeed... until you realize that they are not that stupid, it is just that you have a problem with pink :))!

And finally, few bottles say: bottle? What bottle? I am water! Ah yes, I almost forgot: water is in a bottle, but I never think about that, I just use the bottle to move the water that's inside and to show other bottles they have the same water within. If I had no bottle, how could I do that? And if my bottle was brown, how could it be seen in the dust? That is why it is bright yellow! :)
Is this what enlightened spiritual teachers would say?
The peculiarity of this last group of bottles is the awareness of being water and the absence of ego (individuality is there as something peculiar, useful for a purpose/mission).

Oneness is water of the see. Indistinct water or water in bottles? What do I know? To be honest, I live in the second group of bottles but start to feel a little uncomfortable there. And maybe part of the confusion I feel in this moment of my life comes from the fact that I... would like to move to the last group but I am not ready to do that...
Relax, open my heart and accept whatever is and comes. Feel the warmth in my heart and the joy that comes from that. That is all I can do... right?
atte72

Re: I or One

Postby CaiHong » Thu Sep 24, 2015 12:10 am

Hi Atte 72,
I really enjoyed your analogy using sea, bottles and our separation from oneness. I will take that with me thoughout the day.
Thanks for sharing
CaiHong
CaiHong

Postby Enlightened2B » Thu Sep 24, 2015 4:21 am

I say we attack the red bottles at dawn with the help of the pink bottles.
Enlightened2B

Postby atte72 » Thu Sep 24, 2015 6:03 pm

CaiHong wrote:Hi Atte 72,
I really enjoyed your analogy using sea, bottles and our separation from oneness. I will take that with me thoughout the day.
Thanks for sharing
CaiHong

Hello to you!
I liked that analogy too when I heard it. I tried to add how our consciousness sees reality based on what we think we are. Maybe I took it too far :) (is it what you meant by your joke, btw, enlightened? :)).
The truth is one and it is oneness. But I do not see it because, to be honest, I think of myself as a bottle with water inside (that is undeniable, it is obvious seeing how I live in my daily life, always worried about my "I", what "I" do, what "I" should do or not do). But, deep inside, I do not believe in it anymore and sometimes I feel lost because, well actually I do believe I am water. Why can't I live my life with the consciousness to be water who uses the bottle, spirit who uses the mind? The only reason can only be because I am not ready, I suppose. Self ralization is not there and I cannot pretend it is. But you know what? I think that a useful answer is the simplest one (or the only I found: to open my heart and love from where I stand.
I guess I am in this forum to read how people who have realized they are water talk and live :). I want talking water, so I can "drink" their words and talk to the, like a bottle would talk to water :). And if instead they live like bottles who want to "see" better, like me, there is a lot we can share.
atte72

Postby Enlightened2B » Thu Sep 24, 2015 6:28 pm

Hey Atte, I actually liked the analogy too. Was just having some fun with it :D

atte72 wrote:The truth is one and it is oneness. But I do not see it because, to be honest, I think of myself as a bottle with water inside (that is undeniable, it is obvious seeing how I live in my daily life, always worried about my "I", what "I" do, what "I" should do or not do). But, deep inside, I do not believe in it anymore and sometimes I feel lost because, well actually I do believe I am water. Why can't I live my life with the consciousness to be water who uses the bottle, spirit who uses the mind? The only reason can only be because I am not ready, I suppose. Self ralization is not there and I cannot pretend it is. But you know what? I think that a useful answer is the simplest one (or the only I found: to open my heart and love from where I stand.
I guess I am in this forum to read how people who have realized they are water talk and live :). I want talking water :)

Self Realization is not an absence of perspective as I see it. Although Emptiness might ultimately be what we essentially are the core of our Being, emptiness entails everything that is.... Emptiness only implies, it is empty of any conditioning, aka...thought, labels, concepts, etc. Without conditioning, or concepts, or labels, all there is, is unconditional Love. That is the core of emptiness. Emptiness does not mean reality is literally empty or void. It means, it is only empty of the labels and concepts we place on it via....perspective. Instead, reality is merely pure Acceptance, empty of all conditions, Pure Allowance, Pure totality, Love itself without any conditions. But, there can be no experience of Pure emptiness itself, without an aspect of 'perspective'. And perspective itself, implies a conscious 'knowing'....consciousness. If there is consciousness, then there is knowing.

So, what is self realization then? It's merely the knowing that I AM....is not limited to this mind body or these thoughts. It's the realization that I AM is all there is ultimately. It's when you learn to love and embrace all aspects of your experience including fear. It doesn't mean these aspects won't continue to play out unconsciously. That's a huge part which needs to be emphasized. Living in a human body, means there's simply no way we are going to act from unconditional Love 24/7. It means, we do our best to BE as authentic as possible by embracing all aspects of our experience, while accepting that there will be plenty of times where we will still operate unconsciously. It's just part of the human experience.

Oneness is a very nebulous term that often can get quite confusing because it can start to become conceptual. While I too BELIEVE that everything is One at the core, I have not experienced the larger perspective on life to know how this is so. Instead, I HAVE realized (and likely you have as well, you just don't realize that you realize) that I AM is all there is when I am able to feel into any aspect of my experience and allow it to be as it is. It's a work in progress for myself, but I'm making progress I feel. I don't call that Oneness, I just call it I AM. The great I AM. And therefore if this I AM is all there is in my own experience, when I simply stop resisting and allow my experience to be, then the I AM must be all there is period in ALL experience.

so, Self Realization is simply realizing THIS above, but in order to make it work in your life, it takes a lot of practice through whatever method works for you, whether it's meditation or something else. We've had previous posters on this forum who no longer post here, who conceptually grasp certain things, but seemingly don't know how to apply it to their life and that's where the meat of actually living comes into hand.
Enlightened2B

Postby DavidB » Sat Sep 26, 2015 4:14 am

There is no I. There is no self.

Oneness is the realization that there is only this one consciousness from which everything arises into form, including the I identity. Oneness in essence, cannot be known, as everything we think we know about oneness is another arising form, and therefore not oneness. So what we can know, is only this identification, but never the one that identifies, the one that knows. Stating who you are on the human level though is fine, as it is practical, and also true, relatively speaking.

The Tao that can be spoken is not the eternal Tao
The name that can be named is not the eternal name
The nameless is the origin of Heaven and Earth
The named is the mother of myriad things
Thus, constantly without desire, one observes its essence
Constantly with desire, one observes its manifestations
These two emerge together but differ in name
The unity is said to be the mystery
Mystery of mysteries, the door to all wonders
“Wisdom is knowing I am nothing, Love is knowing I am everything, and between the two my life moves.” ― Sri Nisargadatta Maharaj
DavidB

Return to General Discussion