Mid-life crisis

A place for anything that doesn't fit into the existing forums

Mid-life crisis

Postby Lazypoet » Mon Oct 19, 2015 1:20 pm

I haven't really been able to put this into words until now.

I think by the age of 26 I'm having a crisis! It sounds ridiculous as it's not that old. But I feel unrelevant and almost "uncool".

I wrote this post on a music forum. It gives some insights into my thought patterns:

"Do you guys have unhealthy thoughts sometimes? Like I have these people that I love so much, like Joanna Newsom, and then I see her milestone accomplishments from way back and I can't help but compare it to my accomplishments! It's unhealthy but it's really hard not to. For example her voice on the Milk Eyed Mender is different than on her albums now. What album did I NOT record with my "early phase voice" ? (I'm now 26). Some thoughts that run around in my head if i can't sleep."

"I have the feeling I will do something great and that I'm even capable to do it. But I don't know what form it will take or how to activise myself towards the great thing I think can be produced. I feel over-ripened yet nothing comes."

"Whether it be music, art, photography or literature. Sorry to spam this comment field just wanted your thoughts".

I desperately need some calm enlightened opinions on these crisises, they are making me go nuts. Like for example I keep thinking I should live in a big city to get connection and make something amazing, so I even start to hate the lovely little city I live in now and stribe for like, Paris or London..

If anyone can make sense of these restless thought patterns, maybe from their own experiences as being in their mid-twenties? Also maybe it's about career choices and anxiety about not finding the right job or wasting my time doing a worthless job.

Thank you
Lazypoet

Re: Mid-life crisis

Postby dijmart » Thu Oct 22, 2015 3:27 am

Most of this is typical ego mind stuff. Peruse it if you feel inspired or not. It doesn't matter really. At your age striving for this, that and the other is "normal" in this society. I'm not 26, but I once was and you have a lot of living and experiencing to do, if you desire for more or being important in the world of form, then so be it. Just don't expect the desiring to end once whatever it is is satisfied, as the mind will think of more and more and more to make it feel alive and real. When or if you realize that it doesn't matter what is strived for, because once it's obtained, you will want something else....there is no satisfying the mind permanently.
Take what you like and leave the rest.
dijmart

Postby DavidB » Thu Oct 22, 2015 5:31 am

This world does not exist in order to fulfill human satisfaction.

This world exists in order to transcend, to potentially awaken to a higher consciousness, through acceptance and surrender to life itself.

BTW, I had a midlife crisis at 21, with a consequent nervous break down. So don't worry, you're doing ok. :wink:

I suggest reading or listening to "Bringing Stillness into Everyday Life" by Eckhart Tolle. http://www.amazon.com/Bringing-Stillnes ... 1894884477
“Wisdom is knowing I am nothing, Love is knowing I am everything, and between the two my life moves.” ― Sri Nisargadatta Maharaj
DavidB

Postby Onceler » Thu Oct 22, 2015 11:41 am

You are going to do a lot of great things, probably already have....they just may not be what you expect and it may take awhile for you to recognize them.
Be present, be pleasant.
Onceler

Postby dijmart » Thu Oct 22, 2015 1:11 pm

"Stress is caused by being 'here' but wanting to be 'there'.”

Eckhart Tolle
dijmart

Postby DavidB » Thu Oct 22, 2015 3:47 pm

dijmart wrote:"Stress is caused by being 'here' but wanting to be 'there'.”

Eckhart Tolle

Indeed, resistance to the now will always cause tension.
“Wisdom is knowing I am nothing, Love is knowing I am everything, and between the two my life moves.” ― Sri Nisargadatta Maharaj
DavidB

Postby Lazypoet » Fri Oct 23, 2015 12:34 pm

Thanks to these wonderful replies :)

I think it's just too bad just when you become comfortable in your own skin and do things close to your heart, there is always going to be someone yelling:

"Get a job!"

Well. I find it hard to balance my spirituality and everyday life. Maybe my career will reflect my consciousness in a few years if I keep staying in the now. But what about if the now is so comfortable that I don't even need music or achievements?
Lazypoet

Postby eckharts_mate » Fri Oct 23, 2015 1:50 pm

That again is the mind telling you who are you going to be if your not "a musician" or "an artist"? It sounds like you are trying to find yourself through this music/art, the last question you ask is fine either way no?
eckharts_mate

Postby dijmart » Fri Oct 23, 2015 10:56 pm

I think it's just too bad just when you become comfortable in your own skin and do things close to your heart, there is always going to be someone yelling:

"Get a job!"

Yes, but who is the one who is listening? Or annoyed that they might yell? That's the one that is the mistaken identity. That's the one running the show, right? Examine that one...is it real?
dijmart

Postby DavidB » Sat Oct 24, 2015 3:34 pm

Lazypoet wrote:But what about if the now is so comfortable that I don't even need music or achievements?

That's a possibility, but not very likely. The urge to do more and be more is perfectly fine, nothing wrong with that. We simply are no longer bothered if that urge or desire is not fulfilled, but grateful if it is of course.
DavidB

Postby Lazypoet » Sun Oct 25, 2015 5:05 pm

I really like this conversation, i'm learning a lot about myself!

So if the last post is true, why does spirituality so often create recluses? I guess what I'm saying is I don't want to become some holy spirit-figure. :D
Lazypoet

Postby dijmart » Sun Oct 25, 2015 5:58 pm

There’s an old Zen saying— “Before enlightenment, chop wood and carry water. After enlightenment, chop wood and carry water.” It’s easy to get carried away and think that living with a Zen attitude means anything other than accepting the present moment as it is.
dijmart

Postby DavidB » Mon Oct 26, 2015 4:39 am

Lazypoet wrote:I really like this conversation, i'm learning a lot about myself!

So if the last post is true, why does spirituality so often create recluses? I guess what I'm saying is I don't want to become some holy spirit-figure. :D

Being awakened has practically nothing to do with spirituality. Spirituality is what we get when we don't understand what it means to be consciously aware, so create hocus pocus and new age nonsense and it's consequent identifications and expectations.

It's perfectly fine to be recluse though, if that's what we want to do, but it won't necessarily bring us any closer to knowing the truth of who we are. It can have the opposite effect in fact, creating a more deeply entrenched identity, as the one that is enlightened and recluse, but it's just another delusion, another identification.

If you don't want to be a holy spirit figure, then don't. I recommend not being anything at all, simply let yourself be whatever it is you are right now.
DavidB

Postby phantombaz » Fri Nov 27, 2015 5:01 am

Lazypoet wrote:I haven't really been able to put this into words until now.

I think by the age of 26 I'm having a crisis! It sounds ridiculous as it's not that old. But I feel unrelevant and almost "uncool".

I wrote this post on a music forum. It gives some insights into my thought patterns:

"Do you guys have unhealthy thoughts sometimes? Like I have these people that I love so much, like Joanna Newsom, and then I see her milestone accomplishments from way back and I can't help but compare it to my accomplishments! It's unhealthy but it's really hard not to. For example her voice on the Milk Eyed Mender is different than on her albums now. What album did I NOT record with my "early phase voice" ? (I'm now 26). Some thoughts that run around in my head if i can't sleep."

"I have the feeling I will do something great and that I'm even capable to do it. But I don't know what form it will take or how to activise myself towards the great thing I think can be produced. I feel over-ripened yet nothing comes."

"Whether it be music, art, photography or literature. Sorry to spam this comment field just wanted your thoughts".

look around you, right now,right here look around you... this is it. is it really so bad?

I desperately need some calm enlightened opinions on these crisises, they are making me go nuts. Like for example I keep thinking I should live in a big city to get connection and make something amazing, so I even start to hate the lovely little city I live in now and stribe for like, Paris or London..

If anyone can make sense of these restless thought patterns, maybe from their own experiences as being in their mid-twenties? Also maybe it's about career choices and anxiety about not finding the right job or wasting my time doing a worthless job.

Thank you
phantombaz

Return to General Discussion