Changing the world

A place for anything that doesn't fit into the existing forums

Changing the world

Postby wander » Tue Dec 01, 2015 1:43 am

For a couple years I have had the idea that the millennial generation (born in the 80s to 2000s) are incredibly lucky and have the potential to really shift the paradigm and consciousness by taking leading roles, especially online. I have been wanting to create a blog that details this shift, and the possibilities presents for the future. I have really thought I could help change the world! I have bought a domain and have written about a dozen or so articles but really have not edited them or even posted them. I guess it comes mostly from fear that it would be appreciated. I really want this to become income-generating because I have generally been really excited about it and there really has never been any kind of job that I have been interested in.

I am currently not working and honestly have been quite depressed the last few months because I have really started to think of the world as a pretty painful place with vast amounts of suffering and that this idea to make money off of this is not really possible (also due to websites that are kind of similar to this that already exist).
And I also consider other spiritual teachings like the Buddha ("life is suffering and the suffering is caused by desire"). This is of course a pretty common element in teachings by Gangaji and Sri Nisargadatta Maharaj so the fact that I "desire" to create this has become quite conflicting! I don't really have a specific question, I would just like to hear some thoughts about this idea, its potential, and how desire plays into all of this.
wander

Re: Changing the world

Postby the key master » Tue Dec 01, 2015 7:52 am

That all sounds groovy.

And I also consider other spiritual teachings like the Buddha ("life is suffering and the suffering is caused by desire"). This is of course a pretty common element in teachings by Gangaji and Sri Nisargadatta Maharaj so the fact that I "desire" to create this has become quite conflicting! I don't really have a specific question, I would just like to hear some thoughts about this idea, its potential, and how desire plays into all of this.

Haha desire creating conflict. Let me ask you, in this sick, insane, beautiful place called the world, do you expect your desires to be in accordance with custom? Your desire is not creating conflict, your level of consciousness is allowing you to see how fucked things are.
the key master

Postby the key master » Tue Dec 01, 2015 10:27 pm

wander wrote:For a couple years I have had the idea that the millennial generation (born in the 80s to 2000s) are incredibly lucky and have the potential to really shift the paradigm and consciousness by taking leading roles, especially online. I have been wanting to create a blog that details this shift, and the possibilities presents for the future. I have really thought I could help change the world! I have bought a domain and have written about a dozen or so articles but really have not edited them or even posted them. I guess it comes mostly from fear that it would be appreciated. I really want this to become income-generating because I have generally been really excited about it and there really has never been any kind of job that I have been interested in.

I am currently not working and honestly have been quite depressed the last few months because I have really started to think of the world as a pretty painful place with vast amounts of suffering and that this idea to make money off of this is not really possible (also due to websites that are kind of similar to this that already exist).

Hey Wander,

Secondly, the idea to make money off of the painful place of the world is actually entirely possible, you just may find it out of connection with your moral character, which as Thomas Hobbes punctuated, tends to run along a frequency directly linked to self interest. In the game of seeing through the self, we really are talking about the truth which transcends that interest. This does not mean your desires are inauthentic, but only that the desire to realize the truth is not a desire of the self but the process of realizing what's true and seeing through what isn't. Nobody realizes because of desire.

I would not say that suffering is caused by desire, but delusion, which tends to populate the realm of desire in fascinating ways. This population is experienced as seeking, as the mind unconsciously projects compartmentalized energy along a trajectory and seeks out the very energy it's in the process of avoiding. In the absence of that projection and seeking dynamic, thoughts are free to be engaged, and I don't think the Buddha is saying otherwise.

The issue many encounter is disassociation and the inability to generate the energy necessary to create desirable change, which is not an issue of the disassociated identity structure, but the effect of that identity structure blocking the vital force from moving into harmonious expression.
the key master

Postby wander » Tue Dec 01, 2015 10:41 pm

the key master wrote:That all sounds groovy.

Haha desire creating conflict. Let me ask you, in this sick, insane, beautiful place called the world, do you expect your desires to be in accordance with custom? Your desire is not creating conflict, your level of consciousness is allowing you to see how fucked things are.

Well Im not sure. Because actually my desires currently ARE creating conflict within myself... But it is based on a fear that what I want to do cannot be accomplished. So I guess thats a strange one.
wander

Postby wander » Tue Dec 01, 2015 10:45 pm

the key master wrote:
wander wrote:For a couple years I have had the idea that the millennial generation (born in the 80s to 2000s) are incredibly lucky and have the potential to really shift the paradigm and consciousness by taking leading roles, especially online. I have been wanting to create a blog that details this shift, and the possibilities presents for the future. I have really thought I could help change the world! I have bought a domain and have written about a dozen or so articles but really have not edited them or even posted them. I guess it comes mostly from fear that it would be appreciated. I really want this to become income-generating because I have generally been really excited about it and there really has never been any kind of job that I have been interested in.

Hey Wander,

Secondly, the idea to make money off of the painful place of the world is actually entirely possible, you just may find it out of connection with your moral character, which as Thomas Hobbes punctuated, tends to run along a frequency directly linked to self interest. In the game of seeing through the self, we really are talking about the truth which transcends that interest. This does not mean your desires are inauthentic, but only that the desire to realize the truth is not a desire of the self but the process of realizing what's true and seeing through what isn't. Nobody realizes because of desire.

I would not say that suffering is caused by desire, but delusion, which tends to populate the realm of desire in fascinating ways. This population is experienced as seeking, as the mind unconsciously projects compartmentalized energy along a trajectory and seeks out the very energy it's in the process of avoiding. In the absence of that projection and seeking dynamic, thoughts are free to be engaged, and I don't think the Buddha is saying otherwise.

The issue many encounter is disassociation and the inability to generate the energy necessary to create desirable change, which is not an issue of the disassociated identity structure, but the effect of that identity structure blocking the vital force from moving into harmonious expression.

Woah had a hard time following that! ha. I think I see what you mean though.. Kind of that witnessing those desires break you away from the attachment to them. So that as I maintain presence I can allow the desires to be acted out without being pulled into the roller coaster.
wander

Postby the key master » Wed Dec 02, 2015 12:30 am

wander said,
Woah had a hard time following that! ha. I think I see what you mean though.. Kind of that witnessing those desires break you away from the attachment to them. So that as I maintain presence I can allow the desires to be acted out without being pulled into the roller coaster.

Sure, but the roller coaster is the same mind which is attempting to maintain presence, meaning there isn't a roller coaster mind and a mind that wants to get off the roller coaster.

In terms of witnessing desires and breaking attachment to them, that's not what I see. I see movements of seeking being noticed, and then a desire to hold onto awareness being initiated. Mind is using faulty logic, which can be noticed.
the key master

Postby the key master » Wed Dec 02, 2015 2:05 am

wander wrote:
the key master wrote:That all sounds groovy.

Well Im not sure. Because actually my desires currently ARE creating conflict within myself... But it is based on a fear that what I want to do cannot be accomplished. So I guess thats a strange one.

Hey missed this post. My suggestion is that your desires are not creating conflicts but are the conflicts themselves. If you want a car but don't have one you are at conflict with conditions as they are, but this does not imply you need to be conflicted with the desire itself.

You notice a fear of wanting to accomplish what may or may not be within the field of potential. This is a classical projection scenario where the pains associated with rejection and failure can be noticed, so that the fear of that pain can be transcended. If you want a car but don't end up getting one, you might feel bad about it. The idea that you're not allowed to feel bad is not going to help you get the car. Get rid of that idea.
the key master

Postby wander » Thu Dec 03, 2015 7:52 pm

the key master wrote:

Hey missed this post. My suggestion is that your desires are not creating conflicts but are the conflicts themselves. If you want a car but don't have one you are at conflict with conditions as they are, but this does not imply you need to be conflicted with the desire itself.

You notice a fear of wanting to accomplish what may or may not be within the field of potential. This is a classical projection scenario where the pains associated with rejection and failure can be noticed, so that the fear of that pain can be transcended. If you want a car but don't end up getting one, you might feel bad about it. The idea that you're not allowed to feel bad is not going to help you get the car. Get rid of that idea.
[/quote]

Ha I'll try
wander

Return to General Discussion