Dark Shadows in the Unconscious Mind

A place for anything that doesn't fit into the existing forums

Dark Shadows in the Unconscious Mind

Postby Mystic » Sun Dec 06, 2015 9:49 am

In a recent complicated dream, I was visiting my mom inside of a strange house that I did not recognize. This house had a large room in it and at the end of the room was a shower. I decided to get ready to take a shower but suddenly, the room was full of people who were very loud and some of them looked like gangsters.

A man from the group who appeared to be the leader, told me that he saw me driving by on the road and that he was going to give me some free merchandise and load it in my truck.

After the first person left, another person came over to me and started talking to me. He was warning me about the man I was first talking to and that I should not trust him. He was warning me that the stuff they were trying to give me was no good. I saw that this second person who was warning me was Native American.

So when I walked outside to see what was going on, I noticed that I had been inside of what looked like an old church building.

I looked at my truck and they were loading it full of baby stuff. Cribs, diapers, baby food, and other baby stuff. At first I wondered what they were doing and why they were giving me free stuff.

Then I asked the leader of the group if this was stolen merchandise or not. He would not answer me. Then I told him that I wanted that stuff out of my truck, that I did not want it. They all started laughing at me and I recognized something familiar about this person and his friends ...they were demons...

In the dream, I walked up to the leader of the group and started wrestling with him. He appeared to be shocked and afraid that I would challenge him.

...end of dream...

This dream seems to be like a parable. Perhaps we live in a demon haunted world of many minds experiencing the dark nights of our souls... The message appears to be that churches are full of demons. And these demons work to keep people in the flesh(ego mind). All religions are mostly controlled by the ego mind or "flesh" with many flesh rituals. The symbol of visiting my mother and all the baby stuff could refer to how people are all connected to their mother and the past generations of history through the umbilical cord. The symbol of the Native American who was warning me could refer to how the Europeans came to the Americas and took the lands of the native peoples.

All these strange dreams that I have been having, like dark shadows of the mind emerging from the unconscious...

Jung also said something about these shadows of the unconscious...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shadow_%28psychology%29

Carl Jung stated the shadow to be the unknown dark side of the personality. According to Jung, the shadow, in being instinctive and irrational, is prone to psychological projection, in which a perceived personal inferiority is recognised as a perceived moral deficiency in someone else. Jung writes that if these projections remain hidden, "The projection-making factor (the Shadow archetype) then has a free hand and can realize its object--if it has one--or bring about some other situation characteristic of its power." These projections insulate and harm individuals by acting as a constantly thickening veil of illusion...
Mystic

Re: Dark Shadows in the Unconscious Mind

Postby the key master » Mon Dec 07, 2015 1:51 am

Interesting dreams and remarks from Jung.

What I notice is the ability of mind to compartmentalize experience, and this leads to the shadow that Jung speaks of. The compartments house energy which builds over time in accordance with the differentiation between 'ideal you' and 'you according to experience', and the difference between these two ideas is the split mind operating in the simultaneous creation and avoidance of compartmentalized energy.

Now, there aren't actually compartments inside of some mind that are housing energy. Never the less, the thickening of the veil of illusion that Jung refers to, is the energetic barrier between what is given conscious attention, and what is not. Identification with ideal you and the tendency to project shadow energy is sequentially related to the compartmentalized energy from your experience. When people are defensive, it may seem like they are protecting the ideal version of themselves, and some refer to this as a facade, but the protection mechanisms are initiated around the compartmentalized energy folks are predisposed to not want to feel. The repression of sadness, shame, guilt, or grief is the tendency to project operating below the level of conscious attention.

Further, there isn't actually a mind that initiates the repressive function, but the split between collective and personal ideology is embodied by people not wanting to be who they are, which is what mind identification is. Consciousness becomes identified as a compartmentalized entity unconscious of its own compartments, and then it starts looking for enlightenment to solve the problem of what happens to thinking when left to its own devices. This is a natural byproduct of universal intelligence entering creation as human intelligence. The evolution of human intelligence now calls on some folks to transcend their own intelligence, which is a natural byproduct of being too smart for your own good. Consciousness knows what's best.

At first, folks take it as bad news that the universe is unfolding through an intelligence greater than their own. Playing God is a favorite past time of the species, as the parent roles embody the idea of a creator that knows what's best when viewed from the eyes of a child. The emotional over cloaking that takes place through the familial gene pool traces back to what is sometimes called the collective conscious or unconscious, the forces that shaped the generation before you that will continue to shape the one after you. When compartmentalized energy gets into the mix, empathy goes out the window and the need to protect, enhance, and maintain the facade becomes the primary mode of operation for most every human being on the planet.

The idea that dismantling that facade is the ticket to freedom might be true, but from the perspective of the facade it is the least desirable thing. When Eckhart says allow a diminishment of self or ego whenever possible, this is what he's pointing to, the freedom which is beyond the self and the denial mechanisms which re-enforce identification, and likewise cause the suffering associated with it. This doesn't mean to degrade yourself intentionally, it means when the tendency to deny or defend the identity is triggered, there is a greater consciousness present that can notice these things. Realization is pointing toward that consciousness, because it is that consciousness taking the form of human intelligence to point human intelligence to the intelligence which transcends it. This, if understood correctly, is wonderful news for human intelligence.
the key master

Return to General Discussion