A gradual awakening

A place for anything that doesn't fit into the existing forums

A gradual awakening

Postby Scouser » Tue Feb 09, 2016 8:07 pm

Hi,

After some years of practising meditation/mindfulness inconsistently. I have over the last year been more disciplined and managed to practice daily. Initially I read a lot of the usual suspects, Tolle, Chopra, Dyer etc etc. I found all the material interesting and helpful, whilst i felt many of the authors, were very good at understanding the human condition, like many before them, however they never really provided me with the tools to make a shift.

Maybe a change only arrises when we are ready to receive it ? Maybe we can only discover these changes by ourselves ?

It is only through regular meditation and mindfulness that I am beginning to gain small insights into the mind. Like how it seems to search endlessly for ways to unsettle me, cause me fear, convince me things are not ok, try to keep me in the past, or propel me to the future, make me cling to things, fear things being taken away etc, etc, etc and perhaps most importantly keep me from enjoying each present moment. As I say many of the authors listed above relate this in their literature, however, it is one thing to read it, but something else to truly know it.

It is early days for me and whilst I have had some small insights, I am just beginning my journey, I don't exactly know how one should deal with these difficulties of mind once you have some understanding of them, but I doesn't seem important, it seems like the discovery of it alone is part of the cure. What a thing the mind is. It seems such a dichotomy, being an artist myself, I can see what a role mind plays, in my field of expertise, how it contributes to the composition, how it analyses to come up with different variations, and many other things. I think I have had a lot of misunderstandings over the years regarding the role of mind and still do. I used to get the impression that what many guru's were saying was "all thought is mental noise" and not very helpful to us. I think there could be a lot more clarity on the distinction of mind, that serves us and mind that works against us. I think it can be confusing for people. Would be very interested in any thoughts you have on this subject, simple pointers if you like. I guess to most of you it seems pretty obvious.. ?

So it seems mind can be your best friend or your worst enemy, I'm sure all will be revealed as I continue my journey.

Nobody can see for you, nobody can know for you and whilst I still wrestle, with my mind at times, the moments of understanding what is happening from moment to moment grow and that feels right.
Scouser

Re: A gradual awakening

Postby lmp » Wed Feb 10, 2016 1:22 am

It is not obvious. On the contrary it is a very perplexing thing: Something is experiencing itself as being not itself and it can't figure out how it is done or undone. Some say it can be seen that it it so, then it is resolved but it still goes on, just like it always was.

Since art interests you, do you not think art is a mixture of trying to make sense of what we do not understand, at the same time an expression of the delight we experience in life, wanting to share our good or bad or intellectual feelings and understandings, noticing that we already actually do share at a deeper level the thing we are trying to communicate and express, that somehow we are able to understand each other although we feel we hardly understand ourselves. This is how complex it is, isn't it, somehow we know and don't know at the same time. It is as if one of our faculties has a built in distortion making things unclear. We seem unable to trust that we know and at the same time we question that we don't know by believing there is an answer, if only we keep looking. Some say that the spiritual wisdom is to be had in clarity, life becomes clear, what is is clear, that there is a compassion without illusion. If so then a mind that is clear is useful in the service of clarity and compassion but a mind that is confused tends to try to take over and tries to be the master of the show. The only judge over whether the mind is useful or not seems to be the mind again, or another persons mind. Or we ask: well then what is compassion and what is illusion, as if we didn't know what love and confusion is, though those two are basically all we know, aren't they.

So we have a mind that is both informed and yet doesn't know what it is. My tip is to be aware of or try to reconcile those two phenomena.
lmp

Postby DavidB » Thu Feb 11, 2016 3:56 am

Never take anything personally. :wink:
“Wisdom is knowing I am nothing, Love is knowing I am everything, and between the two my life moves.” ― Sri Nisargadatta Maharaj
DavidB

Postby dijmart » Thu Feb 11, 2016 5:34 am

DavidB wrote:Never take anything personally. :wink:

Telling that to someone who thinks themselves a "person", instead of an "apparent person" that exists but is not real, is meaningless. Because of course they're going to take it personally, that's what the ego does and it does it well. :wink:
Take what you like and leave the rest.
dijmart

Return to General Discussion