Does the ego fight back?

A place for anything that doesn't fit into the existing forums

Does the ego fight back?

Postby Gazreth » Mon May 02, 2016 6:38 pm

So I have noticed what so far seems to be a pattern.
When I have spent a large amount of time practicing presence and then slipped back into my stream of thinking, it's almost as if my ego is fighting back extra hard to gain attention. My thoughts seem extra provocative and I end up being sucked into them and thinking deeper about how that aspect of my life sucks (Until I snap myself out of it, if possible).

Is this a coincidence or has anybody else experienced this?
The ego feels threatened and so decides to take the boxing gloves off.
Gazreth

Re: Does the ego fight back?

Postby Webwanderer » Tue May 03, 2016 12:23 am

Gazreth wrote:When I have spent a large amount of time practicing presence and then slipped back into my stream of thinking, it's almost as if my ego is fighting back extra hard to gain attention.

The way I see it is that it works like this. When we apply effort to staying present it's like stretching a rubber band. There is a lot of energy that has gone into our existing belief structures of thought and meaning. When we apply another type of focused energy on staying present a tension is created that will eventually resolve itself towards the stronger existing force. So there is a snap back to the long standing thought structures.

That is why natural presence is more a matter of relaxing into clear awareness rather than efforting into a focused presence. Deep breathing and an open awareness of being are quite helpful. Relax into your own true nature. There are no definitions here. It's not a mental exercise, but a feeling one. Feel your natural beingness. When the mind comes active again, it's okay. Just start again, and again, and again. In time, a new natural presence will begin to form within your conscious being that will strengthen with repetition. It should feel like home.

WW
Webwanderer

Re: Does the ego fight back?

Postby Ironmaxiu » Thu May 19, 2016 9:59 am

You take a little of this information from any channel.
Ironmaxiu

Return to General Discussion