Turning it over to God

A place for anything that doesn't fit into the existing forums

Turning it over to God

Postby susanpeabody » Wed May 11, 2016 7:05 pm

For years I was an agnostic and then in 1982 I had a spiritual experience in Alcoholics Anonymous. As part of my spiritual outlook I learned what we call "turning it over to God." I want to share about this, but first I need to know if this is the right forum. I don't want to post something inappropriate. Guide me please . . .

Susan
There is always a brighter tomorrow.
susanpeabody

Re: Turning it over to God

Postby kiki » Thu May 12, 2016 1:38 am

but first I need to know if this is the right forum.

This is fine.
"Miss Kelly, perhaps you'd like this flower. I seem to have misplaced my buttonhole ... Miss Kelly, you know, when you wear my flower you make it look beautiful." Elwood P. Dowd
---
Your donation will help keep us online.
kiki

Postby randomguy » Fri May 13, 2016 7:44 pm

I like this bit from Ramana Marharshi on giving up to God -
He who gives himself up to the Self that is God is the most excellent devotee. Giving one self up to God, means constantly remembering the Self. Whatever burdens are thrown on God, He bears them all. Since the supreme power of God makes all things move, why should we, without submitting ourselves to it, constantly worry ourselves with thoughts as to what should be done and how, and what should not be done and how not? We know that the train carries all loads, so after getting on it why should we carry our small luggage on our head to our discomfort, instead of putting it down in the train and feeling at ease?
Do the yellow-rose petals
tremble and fall
at the rapid's roar?
- Basho
randomguy

Postby susanpeabody » Fri May 13, 2016 11:43 pm

I learned to turn it over in Alcoholics Anonymous. It took years to get the hang of it. First I had to find someone to turn it over to. But soon after arriving in AA I had a spiritual awakening that I describe in my book, Addiction to Love. Once I believed in God with all my heart I wanted, intellectually, to surrender to God and give all my problems to God. Easier said than done. But as I have documented many times before, I found directions in the book, Twelve Steps and Twelve Traditions, (second step) and the "Chapter to the Agnostic," in the book Alcoholics Anonymous. I followed these instructions and then had my spiritual awakening. The rest is history.

I could give you so many examples of turning it over, but suffice it to say that the ability to do this is one of the greatest gifts Spirit gives us. (Spirit is my name for God. She is the one Christ left behind to guide us in the present. So God and Jesus are up in heaven and Spirit is with us now. She and I are very close. I love her with all my heart. She has never let me down.

:)
susanpeabody

Postby Enlightened2B » Sat May 14, 2016 12:06 am

It could be equally enlightening to realize that, that spirit/god is not separate from what you already are and with that, it is quite empowering to realize that you, yourself are the creator of your own reality.

That's why it's so powerful to step outside of the story that is created in thought and realize that it's all just a story we've created and identified with for so long and that you don't have to believe any of that ever again. Literally, you don't have to believe a single thought ever. That's the incredible choice we have.

Instead, you can choose which thoughts feel better to you and which don't. It takes practice to train your mind, but with that, comes the realization that you are God and when we are ultimately "giving it up" to God, we are essentially saying, "no more resistance". Because to resist anything, is ultimately a matter of you resisting yourself and that's why it causes suffering. Instead, when a thought arises that makes you feel uneasy, if you give that thought enough space simply by becoming aware over and over and over again, you can see that this particular thought is based in fear, and is a product of a conditioned subconscious (some call the ego, inner child, human animal survival brain, etc) and not who you truly are. And once you learn that your experience is being projected largely from that conditioned point, you can start to change that, by accepting and loving that part of yourself but choosing to align with a different thought pattern.

Just another way to see that God/Spirit is who we truly are and see how much incredible power we have as these beautiful creator/s
Enlightened2B

Postby Rob X » Sat May 14, 2016 3:28 pm

randomguy wrote:I like this bit from Ramana Marharshi on giving up to God -
He who gives himself up to the Self that is God is the most excellent devotee. Giving one self up to God, means constantly remembering the Self. Whatever burdens are thrown on God, He bears them all. Since the supreme power of God makes all things move, why should we, without submitting ourselves to it, constantly worry ourselves with thoughts as to what should be done and how, and what should not be done and how not? We know that the train carries all loads, so after getting on it why should we carry our small luggage on our head to our discomfort, instead of putting it down in the train and feeling at ease?

That's a great quote, random guy.

It brings to mind this by Ramesh Balsekar:

"Whatever I decide and do in any situation, depends on two factors: my genes and conditioning, which God has made. Whatever action I do will, of course, have its consequences - good, bad or indifferent - as judged by society, which I have to accept. The fact remains, however, that I cannot make a mistake. I cannot commit a sin. Therefore I live like God, not afraid of living and not afraid of dying."
Rob X

Postby Enlightened2B » Sat May 14, 2016 5:49 pm

Yet, genes and conditioning are not set in stone. Therefore, your genes do NOT dictate anything about your reality unless you believe they are hard wired in which neuroplasticity has proven that they are clearly not.

That's the incredible thing about consciousness. There is NOTHING in the human body genetic wise nor cellular wise, unless it's like a chromosome condition or congenital birth anomaly/malformation or missing limb that cannot be cured through changing our thought patterns. Unless......of course we believe that genes are our death sentence and cannot be turned on and off. This is simply not true though and is only a belief. Meaning, it always comes down to belief and the belief that is so prevalent is that "we are product of our conditioning and genes which will shape my reality". This is absolutely true....... for as long as we believe it to be true.
Enlightened2B

Postby Rob X » Sat May 14, 2016 8:58 pm

Enlightened2B wrote:Yet, genes and conditioning are not set in stone. Therefore, your genes do NOT dictate anything about your reality unless you believe they are hard wired in which neuroplasticity has proven that they are clearly not.

That's the incredible thing about consciousness. There is NOTHING in the human body genetic wise nor cellular wise, unless it's like a chromosome condition or congenital birth anomaly/malformation or missing limb that cannot be cured through changing our thought patterns. Unless......of course we believe that genes are our death sentence and cannot be turned on and off. This is simply not true though and is only a belief. Meaning, it always comes down to belief and the belief that is so prevalent is that "we are product of our conditioning and genes which will shape my reality". This is absolutely true....... for as long as we believe it to be true.

Although I'm not totally dismissive of it, there is a lot of contention surrounding the subject of epigenetics at the moment. So (with respect) to save us both the time and effort of cherry picking articles on the internet that support the various arguments that are doing the rounds, it's probably best that we agree to just let it go for now.

But anyway it's beside the point of what Balsekar is suggesting. Whatever you might decide to do (for instance, positive thinking in order to cure a disease), the urge, inclination, capability, determination, application (and so on) to do this is not governed by some little ghost in the machine - it is predicated on a vast and complex array of factors that have nothing to do with the apparent 'you' because this phenomenal 'you' IS nothing other than those complex factors in emergence.

Of course, that doesn't mean that we do nothing - we do what we can with commitment - but it's possible to see that ultimately this doing is the happening of a 'greater scheme'.

But hey, do we really want another round of the free will argument? :)
Rob X

Postby runstrails » Sat May 14, 2016 9:21 pm

"Whatever I decide and do in any situation, depends on two factors: my genes and conditioning, which God has made. Whatever action I do will, of course, have its consequences - good, bad or indifferent - as judged by society, which I have to accept. The fact remains, however, that I cannot make a mistake. I cannot commit a sin. Therefore I live like God, not afraid of living and not afraid of dying."

Both these quotes essentially constitute the definition of karma yoga which can be thought of as turning it over the God (God= the laws that govern the manifested universe). The realization that the jiva is not in control, and the simultaneous realization that what you truly are is completely unaffected by what happens to your jiva, is moksha (freedom from suffering).

As long as there is a jiva (even after self-realization)going about its business , the principle of karma yoga is essential to help decrease suffering for the jiva.

But this notion of 'turning it over to God' (as Susan so nicely put it) is such the anti-thesis of the western rugged individualism way of thinking and hard to accept in our society.

Welcome, Susan. Thanks for sharing your story. rt
runstrails

Postby Enlightened2B » Sat May 14, 2016 10:03 pm

Rob, this has nothing to do with articles on the internet. This isn't a debate. Epigenetics is REAL. This is MY personal experience of healing through a neural re-wiring program that I have been on. Check out the Gupta progamme if you would like to understand what I am talking about.

I cannot for the life of me express enough love and appreciation for having discovered how the placebo effect works, and how healing actually happens from a level of consciousness by what we believe and this in every shape and form "effects" our cells and genes. Folks, this is REAL stuff. Bruce Lipton's work is not hocus pocus nonsense. This is REAL.

It absolutely does work when you actually buy into the process. It does NOT work for people who have beliefs preventing them from buying into it. This is why the placebo effect is so so powerful. It's only our left brain that claims "there's contention" around the subject. There is contention around the subject only for people who have a belief system that prevents them from actually exploring it first hand. Just read the testimonials of people who have healed through understanding how their thoughts literally created their realities. Do a google search for limbic system training testimonials. This speaks for itself. I have joined a community of people who have healed through neural re-wiring and understanding law of attraction because they go hand in hand.

I have had chronic fatigue syndrome for years. I healed myself of crohns disease through nutrition, but could not heal my chronic fatigue because I didn't understand it was my habitual thinking patterns based in deep rooted subconscious beliefs which were stirring up the same programs over and over again, until I finally got on board through my friend's constant badgering of me of a neural re-wiring program. But, it took me a while. I first saw these programs as materialistic because of the "brain" notion. When I did further research, I came to realize that this was the FARTHEST thing from materialism.

This is not a free will debate. This is not an anything debate. That's simply more logical line of thinking trying to grasp something that is beyond the mind. All of the free will debates revolve around people conceptually trying to grasp something that they have no experience with from limited points of view based on previous belief systems. That's why they go in circles. You have to let go of ALL beliefs and I mean ALL beliefs in order to really understand how powerful we are as creators.

I manifested disease within my own body for years and I healed myself (still in the process) through changing my habitual thought patterns and understanding where they derived from. Every one of you who is sick right can do the same. Here's the general process:

1) becoming aware of every negative thought associated with my symptoms (basically meditating without formal meditation), lovingly embracing those thoughts as they arise, speaking to the scared inner child that was anxiety ridden and creating more symptoms through identification with these thoughts, and telling it how much I love it, and then.....creating positive visualization from past positive memories as if I were feeling them NOW. This is a process that literally re-programs your subconscious, which in turn shuts off the genes in your body causing illness. I can't explain any further than that you have to actually try it to understand it. I have the MTHFR mutation from both parents which is basically death sentence for some people who believe they are simply physical machines. I changed that by changing the perspective of my life. The greatest change I've seen on this program has been recent.

Our brains are plastic.....it's simple. What this ultimately means is that nothing is ultimately REAL. Isn't that incredible? We are living in a world of imagination in which yes.....WE are the creators and we can create anything in our reality that reflects our belief systems. What I have learned from this program is that anytime I say "I can't", that belief will become true for me! We have taken on collective beliefs about how reality is and how reality is not and that is why we as a collective, believe that "this is not possible" or "that is not possible". It simply hasn't been written in the script yet. Tom Campbell the scientist talks a LOT about this. It's all just plastic imagination. That's all this world is.

Therefore, modern medicine is still stuck in a belief system that treats patients based on parts because modern medicine believes that physical is separate from the emotional and mental. All of it is connected from a place of consciousness. As children, when we experience something (every one of us has had this experience at some point to varying degrees of integration) and we interpret it in a certain way, it CAN be traumatic and in those traumatic experiences and from the way our cultures dictated to us how life is, we suppress our emotions and we create limited beliefs going forward in which play out over and over again in our thought patterns.These thought patterns lead to chronic disease if emotions are truly suppressed. Later in life, this creates the contrast needed for us to explore a new perspective when we are ready to finally make a change. Until modern medicine gets on board with what I have described above, (and that will take a collective co-creative consciousness shift), then that belief system will not change within the co-creation of this beautiful 3D reality.

Basically, we are free to believe anything we choose. And I mean ANYTHING. There is nothing wrong with believing you are a product of your genes and conditioning and I mean NOTHING wrong with that. There is nothing wrong with believing that epi-genetics needs to be proven by science in order for me to believe it. That's no longer true for me personally, but it's ok that it might be true for others. However, if you're physically/emotionally ill and you believe that you are stuck with that, that is simply just.....a belief. You can argue it and call it a "debate", but until you experience it first hand, you are living through beliefs.

So, yes, the main premise of this program that I am suggesting is exactly what you say Rob......"the apparent you" is not who we truly are! That apparent you that plays out over and over and over again is just that scared over reactive, conditioned aspect of our subconscious/mind/inner child that has been programmed to do what it does through early life experiences.That's the most liberating part. REalizing that who we truly are needs no fixing or healing because WE are perfect already. But, the body itself still operates in a state of illness as a state of manifestation of thought patterns. And it's the body which needs healing.

But, realizing that you can actually heal the body fully of chronic disease, and CHANGE the body's cellular structure by positive thinking or visualization (only after you've truly stepped out of the mind's created story and accepted it) means that you DO have free will. But, it's free will stemming from a much much much higher clearer space than the conditioned, scared, anxiety ridden "mind". There is still a perspective of Consciousness that is free from the conditioned thought patterns (to a certain degree) that is not separate than anything else, but still FREE to create. For as long as we fail to understand how WE are creating our realities through our beliefs, we will continue to look at free will as a conceptual debate.

In the larger perspective, perhaps free will is ultimately an illusion and if you ask me, I believe it is perhaps another dream within another dream within another dream in a greater sense if you ask me. I think the after life is also a form of form of dream within an even more real dream and on going infinitely through a never ending, never beginning process of "infinite" expansion. But, none of this means anything while we are here, because while we are here, playing in this plastic, imaginary 3D playground, free will IS an inherent factor of the game, only WHEN we learn to see that "we are not our thoughts, feelings, emotions, etc". For as long as we believe ourselves to be identified with our thoughts, we have no free will. For as long as we believe that illness "just happens", we have no free will.

When you create from a space of conscious knowing, and create from THERE, is where you are creating from such a different vibration. Isn't that beautiful?

Remember that FEELING good on a deeper level is the only true way to know how connected we are with Source. When you create an environment within your body of constantly feeling good, you are enlivening the cells of your body with positivity and love and positivity and love IS the nature of Source and that is truly aligning with that higher connection and that's how healing happens.

Everything is simply vibration. That's all. We are living in a vibrational universe that responds to our belief systems.
Enlightened2B

Postby susanpeabody » Mon May 16, 2016 6:22 pm

Not to change the subject . . . but I am really enjoying this new television series with Morgan Freeman called the Story of God. I just really speaks to me. Here is the link to cut and paste

http://channel.nationalgeographic.com/t ... n-freeman/

When I first heard about "turning it over" in Alcoholics Anonymous, I asked my sponsor, "Turn it over to who?" I was an agnostic at the time. But eventually I found God in AA and now I know who God is to me. I call her Spirit. I experience God in my life through synchronistic miracles. I talk a lot about this on my blog. Here is one example.

I am a counselor and I was trying to decide if I should charge for my services or give them away. I know there is a middle ground. It is sliding scale. To me this means, those who can pay do, and those who can't get it for free. Recently I had reached a point where I was wondering if I should do sliding scale. I had people telling me to charge because I was worth it. I was told only people who pay appreciate what I do. At the same time, I had found recovery in AA for free and it changed my life. While contemplating all this, all my money dried up and I asked Spirit if she could give me a sign as to whether I should charge everybody or continue sliding scale and living off donations. After asking this question I set up a gofund account and waited. The next day someone donated $200 so I could continue my decision to do sliding scale. I wrote the following on my gofund account.
"All my life I have heard the phrase "existential crisis," even though I really don't know what existential means. Last night, I think I had one. I could not decide if I should go back to charging my clients to raise some money or go forward with my plan to offer my services sliding scale. All night I prayed for a sign. This morning I woke up and got on my email. There it was. My first donation and my sign all rolled into one. I am in shock to be honest how quickly God answers prayers. Now I am going to try and absorb this miracle as I go back to trying to save the world. Thank you Ruth. You are my first angel from heaven on my new journey. God is good"

susanpeabody

Postby susanpeabody » Mon May 23, 2016 3:22 pm

I have another story of turning it over. Recently I got an eviction notice because I have bed bugs. They landlord said either my bed goes or I do. I had no money so I broke down and asked my son for help. He is unemployed so he had no money, but he said he would help me. So he spend two days looking for a bed. We were looking for anything free that we could get. Meanwhile I am praying for a new bed because I spend all my time in my bed writing. My bed is my throne. I was also praying for a regular king because a Cal king is too long and a regular mattress not foam. Also medium to soft. So I turn it all over to God and my son. Two days later my son calls and says he has found a new mattress from an overstock company. It is marked down from 2,000 to 400 because it is not a Cal King and is not foam. I told my son we do not have $400 and he says he will use his emergency fund because it is time for him to do something for him. He was saving the money to buy a puppy because he is so lonely. So I said thank you and praise the lord. And I really mean praise the lord.
susanpeabody

Postby Rob X » Mon May 23, 2016 5:53 pm

susanpeabody wrote:I have another story of turning it over. Recently I got an eviction notice because I have bed bugs. They landlord said either my bed goes or I do. I had no money so I broke down and asked my son for help. He is unemployed so he had no money, but he said he would help me. So he spend two days looking for a bed. We were looking for anything free that we could get. Meanwhile I am praying for a new bed because I spend all my time in my bed writing. My bed is my throne. I was also praying for a regular king because a Cal king is too long and a regular mattress not foam. Also medium to soft. So I turn it all over to God and my son. Two days later my son calls and says he has found a new mattress from an overstock company. It is marked down from 2,000 to 400 because it is not a Cal King and is not foam. I told my son we do not have $400 and he says he will use his emergency fund because it is time for him to do something for him. He was saving the money to buy a puppy because he is so lonely. So I said thank you and praise the lord. And I really mean praise the lord.

Hi Susan

Well you could say that it was God that generated the bed bugs, it was God that instigated your financial situation, it was God that got the landlord on your back and it was God that solved the mattress problem.

Or you could just leave God out of it and praise your unemployed son for his act of generosity. :D
Rob X

Return to General Discussion