Meditation

A place for anything that doesn't fit into the existing forums

Meditation

Postby Andyzen » Thu Jul 14, 2016 8:50 pm

I've been trying various meditation techniques, using the inner body, silence, candles and music etc but none of this seems to bring me the stillness and lack of thought that I am looking for.

Does anyone have any insights, experience and thoughts on this they would like to share?

Thanks.
Andyzen

Re: Meditation

Postby Rob X » Fri Jul 15, 2016 5:12 pm

Andyzen wrote:I've been trying various meditation techniques, using the inner body, silence, candles and music etc but none of this seems to bring me the stillness and lack of thought that I am looking for.

Does anyone have any insights, experience and thoughts on this they would like to share?

Thanks.

Hi Andy

No one lives free from thought (including ET.) What we can do is lessen the stories we tell ourselves by a: seeing them for what they are, or b: putting our attention elsewhere.

When we meditate we allow our attention to be with what is actually happening rather than the stories in our heads. If your attention is on, say, your breath coming in and out, here and now, then there is no room for stories to take a hold. But there will still be many thoughts flickering in and out. In fact, when we meditate they seem to increase - they don't, but we are more alert and sensitive to them. This is perfectly natural, just let them be.

As I see it, stillness is not a place where nothing happens. It's more of a metaphor for this IS-ness that is here - thoughts or not. In a sense it can be seen as the very substance of all that arises - this includes thoughts, sensations and feelings - the peaceful and the chaotic. As I say, no one is free from thought and for that matter discomfort, turmoil and struggle. Stillness/Is-ness is that which persists untroubled by these arisings.

Also, check this recent thread on meditation:

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=13655
Rob X

Postby Andyzen » Mon Jul 18, 2016 5:20 am

Rob X wrote:
Andyzen wrote:I've been trying various meditation techniques, using the inner body, silence, candles and music etc but none of this seems to bring me the stillness and lack of thought that I am looking for.

Thanks.

Hi Andy

No one lives free from thought (including ET.) What we can do is lessen the stories we tell ourselves by a: seeing them for what they are, or b: putting our attention elsewhere.

When we meditate we allow our attention to be with what is actually happening rather than the stories in our heads. If your attention is on, say, your breath coming in and out, here and now, then there is no room for stories to take a hold. But there will still be many thoughts flickering in and out. In fact, when we meditate they seem to increase - they don't, but we are more alert and sensitive to them. This is perfectly natural, just let them be.

As I see it, stillness is not a place where nothing happens. It's more of a metaphor for this IS-ness that is here - thoughts or not. In a sense it can be seen as the very substance of all that arises - this includes thoughts, sensations and feelings - the peaceful and the chaotic. As I say, no one is free from thought and for that matter discomfort, turmoil and struggle. Stillness/Is-ness is that which persists untroubled by these arisings.

Also, check this recent thread on meditation:

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=13655

Thanks Rob.

That's very helpful.
Andyzen

Postby ashley72 » Mon Jul 18, 2016 11:07 pm

Thoughts are no different from other bodily functions. You can't stop yourself farting or breathing, if you do try and stop or resist these autonomous bodily functions (self-governing) you only make them more conscious momentarily by bringing attention to them & that can make them more susceptible to feedback loops. Attention or consciousness is what steers feedback cycles... feedback is necessary in both growth and balance, but it can cause havoc if not used in the right way. Anger & outrage is caused by positive feedback, whist calm and serenity is caused by negative feedback.

Meditation is about making something more conscious but without resisting the self governance. So you bring attention to your thinking mind exposing it to feedback, but with total acceptance of just watching but without wanting to feedback positively into the input cycle.

This kind of practice helps people overcome panic style disorders. Where sufferers have formed a habit of feeding the output signal, back into the input signal.

Panic is basically becoming fearful of the output cycle (heart palpitations & nervous response) which then becomes more pronounced because we become fearful of the response to fear itself.

So the take home is our nervous system can have ill effects when the feedback cycle is not fully understood, meditation helps the sufferer learn how to find the middle ground rather than extreme cycles.

So watching thoughts with total utter acceptance like floating is the key. The main way to do this is use language like I'm feeling afraid now but I'm not actually in any danger, I'm merely afraid. This will stop positive feedback from occurring. This takes a lot of practice if your a chronic anxiety sufferer.

I don't actually formally meditate any more. I just bring this kind of awareness to my thoughts all the time. If I get a gross or inappropriate thought, I just accept it for what it is... an inappropriate thought, which is only a thought that Is occurring automously in my brain, I don't choose my thoughts they just arise due to past exposures. However, my response to those thoughts aka utter acceptance of them occurring, will stop positive feedback making more unwanted thoughts.
Last edited by ashley72 on Tue Jul 19, 2016 1:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
ashley72

Postby ashley72 » Mon Jul 18, 2016 11:24 pm

To answer your query more directly.

If your going into meditation with any kind of "prior expectations" of obtaining a still mind...you already have the subtle belief that you can somehow control your inappropriate thoughts. Well you can't control inappropriate thoughts from arising due to past experiences, you can only prevent "positive feedback" by applying the principle of utter acceptance to inappropriate thoughts.

I more or less agree with Robs characterization of the mind, accept for his suggestion to use distraction practice as a way to overcome unwanted thoughts.....once you've brought conscious attention to them. Distraction does not work, that's just a subtle form of resistance.
ashley72

Postby azuritewellness » Fri Aug 12, 2016 8:29 am

Meditation is a technique for provides the spiritual relax of a body or walk in the body with internal healing powers. IF you take time then you can get the experience of it by use of god name and tell of it..
azuritewellness

Return to General Discussion