Ego is not your true identity

A place for anything that doesn't fit into the existing forums

Ego is not your true identity

Postby dijmart » Wed Oct 19, 2016 5:15 pm

"Ego, one’s sense of being an apparent individual person, is not actually the problem. Suffering only ensues from the circumstances of one’s life when one believes that the apparent person is both real and one’s true identity. When you understand that you are whole, complete, perfect, pure, limitless, attributeless awareness and that, as such, no apparent object or experience can enhance, diminish, or otherwise affect your essential nature in any way or to any degree whatsoever, then you are free. Through the instrument of the mind-body-sense mechanism that constitutes the apparent individual person you seem to be, you will still encounter the ups and downs that characterize the drama of life within the context of the apparent dualistic reality. However, while the experience of pain and pleasure persists, suffering ceases once and for all.

One’s association with the mind-body-sense complex, therefore, not need and, for that matter, should not be eradicated—self-realization, after all, does not equate with dissociative identity disorder or death—but one’s identification with it should be negated through the assimilation of self-knowledge."

By Ted Schmidt (Vedanta teacher)
Take what you like and leave the rest.
dijmart

Re: Ego is not your true identity

Postby Enlightened2B » Wed Oct 19, 2016 8:19 pm

In having an opportunity to explore the physiological aspects of the ego mechanism over the course of the past 6 months-a year, what the ego mechanism really is (in the way I define 'ego' since there are many different interpretations), is merely the human survival mechanism/the human brain.

So, Ted is right, this apparatus is never the problem. It's the identification with this apparatus, which causes us to live our lives in emotional anxiety, worry, fear, doubt (to me, this is all a very much so intended aspect, which is for a whole other conversation) because the limbic system or the human survival mechanism or the subconscious (what Vedanta calls the mind/body sense mechanism) is set up in a way to look out for our survival, but we mistake it for who we truly are. You couldn't live in this physical reality without a human survival mechanism/limbic system. But all it really takes is a practice of recognizing your thoughts. Mindfulness has been a huge practice to me. Not even just sitting, but taking note of what I am thinking all throughout the day and realizing that I don't have to believe in those old conditioned thoughts any more and I constantly interrupt my thoughts all throughout the day in a loving manner.

Just like Ted says, the ego is not to be eradicated, but merely understood in a self loving compassionate way, what it really is. I also call it the inner child. Different wording for different people, all pointing the same essence.
Enlightened2B

Postby dijmart » Wed Oct 19, 2016 10:28 pm

Hi En2b,

(in the way I define 'ego' since there are many different interpretations), is merely the human survival mechanism/the human brain.

I respectfully disagree, in no particular order- "Ego" is the I-thought that claims ownership and doership, then there is manas or "mind" that is the thinking chatterbox we all know all to well (ego claims ownership of this thinking), then "memory" (memory is consulted with likes and dislikes, ect) and "intellect". Intellect is where "Self" knowledge takes place, it is the discriminating and learning faculty of mind (neti-neti). Where Self realization and assimilation takes place. As the intellect is able to recognize it's true nature with the reflection of awareness within the subtle body. All of these, of course, are "aspects" of mind itself. However, they have different functions.

Ego claims ownership/doership of thoughts, feelings, emotions, the body..just about anything from its inner or outer world. Ego is just a thought, but it thinks it's a conscious volitional entity, so it causes problems because it "identifies" with everything and anything thinking it is real, where it's only apparent. The intellect (without Self knowledge) doesn't know any better, so it doesn't object!

This is where the intellect is needed, to over ride and see through the ego and what "it" believes, once you have realized the Self and are assimilating that knowledge this starts to get easier. The ego"s identification loses it power and loosens it foot hold, when you realize you are ever free awareness and not the apparent person you seem to be.

Mindfulness has been a huge practice to me. Not even just sitting, but taking note of what I am thinking all throughout the day and realizing that I don't have to believe in those old conditioned thoughts any more and I constantly interrupt my thoughts all throughout the day in a loving manner.

Nice! :)
dijmart

Postby dijmart » Wed Oct 19, 2016 10:41 pm

Fyi, manas is the lower mind, not the whole mind!
dijmart

Postby Enlightened2B » Thu Oct 20, 2016 3:06 am

Thanks for clarifying the Vedanta view. I guess I don't really use the term 'ego' as much these days, because of the negative implications it's been given by people like Tolle, and often has so many different meanings depending on who you ask.

We all have old fear patterns we've held on to since childhood (experiences as children interpreted through the brain's survival mechanism) which we take with us through our whole life and believe to be 'who we truly are'. That to me, is my definition of ego....believing ourselves to be limited by believing our thoughts to be true. Some call it the 'false self'.

Whichever terminology works best, I say roll with it. It's all pointing us to the same essence/realization anyway. The the holy grail.....
Enlightened2B

Postby dijmart » Thu Oct 20, 2016 3:42 am

Lately, I've been more interested on the Vedanta view of how the mind works (not brain), as I find it helpful to identify which aspect of mind is functioning and when, to see where ignorance is still hiding. Shining a light on it, especially prior to it becoming word or action is important, to me, in keeping the mind peaceful. Peaceful mind, peaceful life.

Tolle- he's talking about the psychological ego, that causes suffering. However, I don't remember if he clearly states this for people to understand that ego itself isn't going anywhere, for if it did we wouldn't be able to interact with objects or other people, let alone our own bodies.
dijmart

Postby Enlightened2B » Thu Oct 20, 2016 4:36 pm

Is there a Vedanta explanation of how Donald Trump's mind works? And is there a connection between his mind and his hair? Is the hair controlling his mind? All good questions of inquiry
Enlightened2B

Postby dijmart » Thu Oct 20, 2016 5:15 pm

Lol, funny! I'd say ego's in the driver seat!
dijmart

Postby Mystic » Mon Oct 24, 2016 3:05 am

There is the false self(ego) and the true self(spirit). Spirit is the pure awareness - the peace joy and energy of life. The ego AKA the false self is a distraction mechanism with its own narrative(s) and personification(s). The ego takes the energy of spirit and distorts it into various forms and symbols. Awareness dissolves the ego(false identification) by being in the now, returning to present moment awareness via the spiritual practice of meditation and other mystical teachings. :D
Mystic

Postby dijmart » Mon Oct 24, 2016 5:04 am

Mystic wrote: Awareness dissolves the ego(false identification) by being in the now, returning to present moment awareness via the spiritual practice of meditation and other mystical teachings. :D

I (awareness) am not the ego that appears within me. I can not be what I can witness. When this is clearly seen, then you will no longer identify yourself with the ego. You will not "dissolve" the ego, awareness is not a doer, you will just see it for what it is and negate it.

Yes, the ego may take a chill pill and Mello out, upon assimilation of Self knowledge, but it's just a thought that thinks it's a real seperate entity, so regardless if it does or doesn't , YOU are not it. You are awareness.

This realization, you are awareness, is known through the intellect of the mind, upon seeing awareness reflected within the subtle body which is always shining. It just takes a peaceful or satvic mind to see it.

Reflected awareness is a mirror image of awareness itself and for all intensive purposes is as good as the original. Hence we "see" our true nature as the Self/Brahman.
Last edited by dijmart on Tue Oct 25, 2016 2:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
dijmart

Postby dijmart » Mon Oct 24, 2016 3:01 pm

However, this doesn't mean you are no longer associated with the person you take yourself to be. For better or worse you will remain "associated" with it until the death of the body, so making decisions and conducting business as usual will still happen. You will just know that while the 'person' exists, its not ultimately real. Just choose the highest dharmic choices you have available, to keep as peaceful mind as possible.
dijmart

Return to General Discussion