Definition of Awareness

A place for anything that doesn't fit into the existing forums

Definition of Awareness

Postby dijmart » Tue Oct 25, 2016 9:22 pm

What's your definition of awareness/consciousness?

Mine is that it not only is my true nature (ie. the Self), but it's ordinary, everyday, always present awareness. Another words, you don't have to look anywhere but to your own self. Awareness is what your thoughts, feelings, emotions appear within, it's what makes you aware of of their presence or absence.

See, everything you sense and know is appearing to you! It is you (awareness), but you are not it. Take a gold ring, it's made out of gold. Is it a ring? Or is it gold? Its gold appearing as a ring, so it maintains its gold-ness regardless if it has the shape of a ring. It can be melted down and is no longer a ring, but is always gold. Gold is its nature.

Same with awareness, it appears 'apparently' in many shapes and forms, but the essential nature remains awareness, regardless of what gross or subtle object it appears as. Since awareness/conciousness is the substratum of all that 'apparently' exists. They exist but aren't real, in the sense that objects change.

Pure/original awareness is always present, everywhere...as it is limitless, nondual and "never" changes. You are the same you that was there when you where born, when you say "I've" changed, you are referring to the change or conditioning that is occurring within you (awareness)!
Without you as the witnessing awareness change would not be noticed.

Sorry for rambling, I got on a roll! :D
Take what you like and leave the rest.
dijmart

Re: Definition of Awareness

Postby runstrails » Wed Oct 26, 2016 5:52 am

Nice, dij.
I would add that awareness is impersonal. It is the illuminating principle. It is only metaphorically the witness. If anything, it is the non-experiencing witness.
runstrails

Postby dijmart » Wed Oct 26, 2016 6:30 pm

runstrails wrote:Nice, dij.
I would add that awareness is impersonal. It is the illuminating principle. It is only metaphorically the witness. If anything, it is the non-experiencing witness.

True, true RT! The mind has the capacity to witness when illumined by awareness.
dijmart

Postby runstrails » Wed Oct 26, 2016 6:56 pm

yup! :D
runstrails

Postby Rob X » Thu Oct 27, 2016 5:17 pm

A few related thoughts.

Awakening could be said to follow this equation: I thought I was x but now I have awakened to the truth that y is all there is.

Now I don't know what y is, I'm not sure that anyone does. It really can't fit any descriptions or formulas adequately.

We call it Source, Reality, Totality, Existence, The Absolute, God, Life, Tao and Consciousness or Awareness and so on.

But really we don't know what it is. Of course it's always here when we look for it because it's the 'stuff' of everything - including stuff and the knowing of stuff.

And since stuff and the knowing of stuff are not two, monist and nondual philosophy concludes that either:

a. All there is is stuff (matter/energy) or

b. All there is is knowing (awareness/consciousness)

And the arguments have raged for centuries.

But there is a third option: whatever this (THIS) is is beyond the formulas of human cognition. Yet here it is.

And that's where I am. I don't know - yet here it is.
Rob X

Postby rachMiel » Thu Oct 27, 2016 9:00 pm

Would make a good mantra:

I don't know, yet here it is.
Here it is, here it is.

Repeat until all is well. :-)
Merrily, merrily, merrily, merrily ...
rachMiel

Postby dijmart » Fri Oct 28, 2016 2:56 am

Rob X"

Awakening could be said to follow this equation: I thought I was x but now I have awakened to the truth that y is all there is.

Yep, including the knowing that "this" is you. It's all you...it's me too.

Now I don't know what y is, I'm not sure that anyone does. It really can't fit any descriptions or formulas adequately.

Right, awareness can't be objectified. As it is formless. It has no attributes to define it.

We call it Source, Reality, Totality, Existence, The Absolute, God, Life, Tao and Consciousness or Awareness and so on.

I wouldn't call it God/Isvara because Isvara is awareness + maya (illusion) that becomes the creator of the universe. Jiva/person is awareness + ignorance and ignorance is hard wired ( thanks to our conditioning, etc), that's why its so hard to become Self actualized (freedom/liberation). Self realized is great, but if the knowledge doesn't assimilate, there's no fruit to that realization.

But there is a third option: whatever this (THIS) is is beyond the formulas of human cognition. Yet here it is.

The intellect can recognize "this", understand it's what you are, what the world is and that it's the substanceless substance of all. As well as the background, substratum (as something can't come from nothing) that is independent in nature and needs nothing to sustain itself. As it is existence, nondual, limitless, conscious, awareness. You are that!
dijmart

Postby runstrails » Fri Oct 28, 2016 5:02 am

rM--LOL :lol:

Rob X wrote: ut there is a third option: whatever this (THIS) is is beyond the formulas of human cognition. Yet here it is.

Great to hear from you, Rob and I agree with you. The crux, I believe here is, the last part of what you say: 'yet here it is'.

This means there is a fundamental reality (which you imply when you say 'yet here it is'). That there is a fundamental reality cannot be denied or negated.

A fundamental reality cannot exist without there being an awareness or knowing, as you say, of it's existence. (This does not mean a human awareness or a personal awareness , of course). Therefore, fundamental reality and awareness/knowing are actually synonymous. That is, there can be no existence without awareness/knowing--and if there is awareness there has to be some kind of existence. Even if that existence is nothing (like the Buddhists say), there has to be a knowing of that nothing. So 'THIS' has to be a non-dual, self-aware reality. And that is all we can know for sure :D.

And, interestingly enough, this barest minimum of knowledge, if applied consistently and correctly, can remove ignorance :D
runstrails

Postby Rob X » Fri Oct 28, 2016 3:38 pm

rachMiel wrote:Would make a good mantra:

:D

Or maybe a song…

To the tune of 'My Generation'

I don't know... yet here it is (talkin bout no separation)
Rob X

Postby Rob X » Fri Oct 28, 2016 3:48 pm

dijmart wrote:
Rob X"

Yep, including the knowing that "this" is you. It's all you...it's me too.

Right, awareness can't be objectified. As it is formless. It has no attributes to define it.

I wouldn't call it God/Isvara because Isvara is awareness + maya (illusion) that becomes the creator of the universe. Jiva/person is awareness + ignorance and ignorance is hard wired ( thanks to our conditioning, etc), that's why its so hard to become Self actualized (freedom/liberation). Self realized is great, but if the knowledge doesn't assimilate, there's no fruit to that realization.

The intellect can recognize "this", understand it's what you are, what the world is and that it's the substanceless substance of all. As well as the background, substratum (as something can't come from nothing) that is independent in nature and needs nothing to sustain itself. As it is existence, nondual, limitless, conscious, awareness. You are that!

Thanks Dij

Yes, without doubt we can know THIS - we can't escape it. But the moment we start making claims on what IT is, we have moved into the realm of philosophy (nothing wrong with that.) More on this in my reply to RT.
Rob X

Postby Rob X » Fri Oct 28, 2016 4:01 pm

runstrails wrote:rM--LOL :lol:

Rob X wrote: ut there is a third option: whatever this (THIS) is is beyond the formulas of human cognition. Yet here it is.

Great to hear from you, Rob and I agree with you. The crux, I believe here is, the last part of what you say: 'yet here it is'.

This means there is a fundamental reality (which you imply when you say 'yet here it is'). That there is a fundamental reality cannot be denied or negated.

A fundamental reality cannot exist without there being an awareness or knowing, as you say, of it's existence. (This does not mean a human awareness or a personal awareness , of course). Therefore, fundamental reality and awareness/knowing are actually synonymous. That is, there can be no existence without awareness/knowing--and if there is awareness there has to be some kind of existence. Even if that existence is nothing (like the Buddhists say), there has to be a knowing of that nothing. So 'THIS' has to be a non-dual, self-aware reality. And that is all we can know for sure :D.

And, interestingly enough, this barest minimum of knowledge, if applied consistently and correctly, can remove ignorance :D

Hi RT, always nice to hear your take on things. I always get the sense that, like myself, you try to demystify this stuff as much as possible and I appreciate that.

Yes, I don't think that we have a fundamental difference here, I'm calling it xxxx and you're calling that Awareness. I'm just reluctant to pin it down in any way - it just is. And you (and others) are saying that that 'just is-ness' is Awareness. It would be tiresome to split hairs at this stage. :D

What I would say is that however we label or conceive of IT is irrelevant to awakening.

There's a blackbird making a racket in my garden and it's just started to rain…

The rest is philosophy.
Rob X

Postby rachMiel » Fri Oct 28, 2016 4:03 pm

I transliterated it into Sanskrit (and added an om for breath), flows quite beautifully:

aham na janami, tu tatraiva asti
tu tatraiva asti, tu tatraiva asti
om ...

Audio recording: http://rachmiel.org/temp/aham_na_janami.m4a

I'm going to mantra it for a while, see what gives. :-)
Merrily, merrily, merrily, merrily ...
rachMiel

Postby dijmart » Fri Oct 28, 2016 5:22 pm

Thanks Dij

Yes, without doubt we can know THIS - we can't escape it. But the moment we start making claims on what IT is, we have moved into the realm of philosophy (nothing wrong with that.) More on this in my reply to RT.

Hi Rob,
OK, so, let's do some inquiry. Do you know you exist? Of course you do. Do you know you're aware? Yep, you know that also, because your aware that your aware. So, what you are is at minimum aware and exists and since something can't come from nothing, we know there is something as the background/substratum of all there is. If that's the case then "it" must be "limitless" for everything in existence is within "it" (including time and space), it permeates all that exists. So, what you are when this is put together is at least- limitless, awareness/conscious, existence . Also, since it is no-thing and every-thing that makes it nondual.

Or that's how I see it.
Last edited by dijmart on Fri Oct 28, 2016 8:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dijmart

Postby Rob X » Fri Oct 28, 2016 8:01 pm

dijmart wrote:
Thanks Dij

Hi Rob,
OK, so, let's do some inquiry. Do you know you exist? Of course you do. Do you know you're aware? Yep, you know that also, because your aware that your aware. So, what you are is at minimum aware and exists and since something can't come from nothing, we know there is something as the background/substratum of all there is. If that's the case then "it" must be "limitless" for everything in existence is within "it" (including time and space), it permeates all that exists. So, what you are when this is put together is at least- limitless, awareness/consciousness, existence . Also, since it is no-thing and every-thing that makes it nondual.

Or that's how I see it.

Yes, I'm a fan of enquiry. It's an effective way to see through our assumptions and weed out what we are not. But it can't pin down, define or formulate what Reality IS.

You know, in philosophy of mind the case for 'all is awareness' is pretty compelling but so is the case for all is matter/energy and the emergence of awareness.

What I'm saying is that I'm not committing to these positions. Not because they are necessarily wrong but because they still have a whiff of conceptualisation about them.

And the thing is we don't have to commit to any position in order for Reality (or ______) to make itself known.
Rob X

Postby dijmart » Fri Oct 28, 2016 8:14 pm

And the thing is we don't have to commit to any position in order for Reality (or ______) to make itself known.

This is true!
dijmart

Next

Return to General Discussion