Definition of Awareness

A place for anything that doesn't fit into the existing forums

Re: Definition of Awareness

Postby dijmart » Wed Nov 23, 2016 5:15 am

DavidB wrote:What's your definition of awareness/consciousness?

The end of thought is the beginning of clarity.

Sorry I missed this post....

Yeah, thoughts are little rascals and the faster and louder they come, the harder it can be to realize you are not them. Another words, to break the cycle of identifying AS the thoughts, it seems they need to slow or momentarily stop to "see" or witness the "gap" between thoughts and recognize you are the gap (awareness) in which the thoughts appear.
Take what you like and leave the rest.
dijmart

Postby maaref » Sun Dec 04, 2016 9:25 pm

You are the eye by which awareness sees itself.
maaref

Postby dijmart » Fri Dec 09, 2016 6:09 am

maaref wrote:You are the eye by which awareness sees itself.

Vision is a function of the eye, which is registered in the brain, the brain is within the mind, the mind is within awareness. So, technically, if you trace this backwards, awareness is seeing the world of "apparent" objects, because of the "apparent" Jiva/person. As pure awareness though, nothing is really happening, as it only sees itself. It's the jiva/person that is ignorant of its true nature, as awareness.
dijmart

Postby maaref » Fri Dec 09, 2016 7:12 pm

dijmart wrote:
maaref wrote:You are the eye by which awareness sees itself.

Vision is a function of the eye, which is registered in the brain, the brain is within the mind, the mind is within awareness. So, technically, if you trace this backwards, awareness is seeing the world of "apparent" objects, because of the "apparent" Jiva/person. As pure awareness though, nothing is really happening, as it only sees itself. It's the jiva/person that is ignorant of its true nature, as awareness.

This was obviously a reference to our inner sight/awareness, which is also "apparent" being seen within consciousness. To me there is no real difference between vision of the eye and inner seeing in this perspective. Yet seeing of awareness of itself, is different than awareness seeing itself through the person (being a mirror that reflect awareness in its unique way, depending on its characteristics).

An example could be a shape, say a triangle, being in reality a number of dots joint together to take its shape. A triangle awareness of its reality, is different that a square's awareness of its reality. For each their unique characteristics, notwithstanding being one in essence.
maaref

Postby dijmart » Fri Dec 09, 2016 9:06 pm

Actually, your one sentence post was not clear, so I just wrote what came to mind.

You wrote-

"You are the eye by which awareness sees itself."

Sure I could've taken it as you saying, "I" the jiva/person am the vehicle in which pure awareness can see itself, either by apprehending my own reflection within the subtle body or by seeing objects that appear within the mind, that are essentially me, awareness. As they are composed of and created out of myself, awareness.

But, see, you didn't say that.... so, is that what you meant?
dijmart

Postby maaref » Sat Dec 10, 2016 8:28 am

dijmart wrote:Actually, your one sentence post was not clear, so I just wrote what came to mind.

You wrote-

"You are the eye by which awareness sees itself."

Sure I could've taken it as you saying, "I" the jiva/person am the vehicle in which pure awareness can see itself, either by apprehending my own reflection within the subtle body or by seeing objects that appear within the mind, that are essentially me, awareness. As they are composed of and created out of myself, awareness.

But, see, you didn't say that.... so, is that what you meant?

:D
maaref

Previous

Return to General Discussion