Definition of Awareness

A place for anything that doesn't fit into the existing forums

Re: Definition of Awareness

Postby Rob X » Fri Oct 28, 2016 8:35 pm

rachMiel wrote:Audio recording: http://rachmiel.org/temp/aham_na_janami.m4a

I'm going to mantra it for a while, see what gives. :-)

Just listened to this. 'Repeat until you're enlightened... or fall asleep.'

Hilarious. :D
Rob X

Postby dijmart » Fri Oct 28, 2016 8:56 pm

Rob X wrote:
rachMiel wrote:Audio recording: http://rachmiel.org/temp/aham_na_janami.m4a

I'm going to mantra it for a while, see what gives. :-)

Hilarious. :D

Lol, I listened also, too funny!
Take what you like and leave the rest.
dijmart

Postby rachMiel » Sat Oct 29, 2016 3:28 am

:-)

I'm going to try it as a mantra, I think it flows well.

If I get to the other shore, I'll send postcards, promise!
Merrily, merrily, merrily, merrily ...
rachMiel

Postby runstrails » Sat Oct 29, 2016 10:38 pm

:lol: Some consider them to be the same state!

rM--I've always wanted to ask--what does rachMiel mean?

Rob wrote: You know, in philosophy of mind the case for 'all is awareness' is pretty compelling but so is the case for all is matter/energy and the emergence of awareness.

Rob--I don't mean to beat this horse. I respect your enquiry and based on your posts, I expect you are at a place of acceptance and peace in your seeking.

But just in case others might be interested, I wanted to contribute a little more:

Speaking for myself, I don't see the two views as dichotomous or incompatible. The universe is indeed matter/energy, and, consciousness does appear to have emerged as life evolved. As a scientist myself, I don't really doubt any of that and I look forward to what we might discover about the nature of the universe in the future.

However, none of that is incompatible with the fact that for anything to exist (or for nothing to exist) there has to be a knowing/awareness. So the universe (or should I say mulitverse!) exists within a fundamental reality. And there are so many parts of the universe that are completely devoid of life, or, are of a nature that the human mind cannot even conceptualize--but all of that exists within a fundamental reality (synonymous with fundamental knowing/fundamental awareness).

So the question then becomes, how is my ordinary mental awareness, the same as this primary, fundamental awareness? Sounds absurd, doesn't it?

There cannot be two awareness' (otherwise, it would not be fundamental!). So your ordinary, everyday awareness has to be the same as the fundamental awareness. Like water and the wave, or, the ray and the sun. That you are aware, means you are awareness itself! That you exist, means you are existence itself!

But unfortunately, you get no super powers even though all of existence depends on you :oops:. And when your body dies, the mind will no longer retain it's awareness since the brain will be dead, but that event will happen within the fundamental awareness (that we all are). The wave will disappear but the water will remain.

So, given that you are both the person and the fundamental awareness, the question arises: do you want to identify with the limited mind/body destined to suffer and perish, or, do you want to identify with eternal, limitless, fundamental awareness (which brings a natural peace of mind and bliss)?

I believe you and rM also identify with the fundamental reality we all are, when you say 'THIS' :D.

Sorry for rambling on. It's a beautiful Saturday and I'm too tired from a long run to do anything else other than chat!

I just realized that I could have skipped my entire post and answered Dij's post with just three words : Sat Chit Ananda (Existence/consciousness/limitlessness (bliss). And that would have been more mantra entertainment too :D.
runstrails

Postby rachMiel » Sat Oct 29, 2016 11:39 pm

runstrails wrote:

My next book: Napping Yourself Awake.

It's the Yiddish/Hebrew form of Richard. (I'm half Jewish.) My grandfather was Rachmiel Szgutt.
I believe you and rM also identify with the fundamental reality we all are, when you say 'THIS' :D.

Pretty much, yep.
rachMiel

Postby runstrails » Sat Oct 29, 2016 11:58 pm

Very Awesome! What is the pronunciation?
runstrails

Postby rachMiel » Sun Oct 30, 2016 12:38 am

Some say RACHmiel with the ACH like a German Ach. Others say ROCKmiel.

Some say mi-el = mee-el (two syllables) and others miel = meel (one syllable).

Normally I say RACHmiel. But if I'm feeling Old Testament I say RACHmi-el.

http://rachmiel.org/temp/rachMiel.m4a
rachMiel

Postby Rob X » Sun Oct 30, 2016 4:17 pm

runstrails wrote:

Rob wrote: You know, in philosophy of mind the case for 'all is awareness' is pretty compelling but so is the case for all is matter/energy and the emergence of awareness.

Rob--I don't mean to beat this horse. I respect your enquiry and based on your posts, I expect you are at a place of acceptance and peace in your seeking.

But just in case others might be interested, I wanted to contribute a little more:

Speaking for myself, I don't see the two views as dichotomous or incompatible. The universe is indeed matter/energy, and, consciousness does appear to have emerged as life evolved. As a scientist myself, I don't really doubt any of that and I look forward to what we might discover about the nature of the universe in the future.

However, none of that is incompatible with the fact that for anything to exist (or for nothing to exist) there has to be a knowing/awareness. So the universe (or should I say mulitverse!) exists within a fundamental reality. And there are so many parts of the universe that are completely devoid of life, or, are of a nature that the human mind cannot even conceptualize--but all of that exists within a fundamental reality (synonymous with fundamental knowing/fundamental awareness).

So the question then becomes, how is my ordinary mental awareness, the same as this primary, fundamental awareness? Sounds absurd, doesn't it?

There cannot be two awareness' (otherwise, it would not be fundamental!). So your ordinary, everyday awareness has to be the same as the fundamental awareness. Like water and the wave, or, the ray and the sun. That you are aware, means you are awareness itself! That you exist, means you are existence itself!

But unfortunately, you get no super powers even though all of existence depends on you :oops:. And when your body dies, the mind will no longer retain it's awareness since the brain will be dead, but that event will happen within the fundamental awareness (that we all are). The wave will disappear but the water will remain.

So, given that you are both the person and the fundamental awareness, the question arises: do you want to identify with the limited mind/body destined to suffer and perish, or, do you want to identify with eternal, limitless, fundamental awareness (which brings a natural peace of mind and bliss)?

Sorry for rambling on. It's a beautiful Saturday and I'm too tired from a long run to do anything else other than chat!

I just realized that I could have skipped my entire post and answered Dij's post with just three words : Sat Chit Ananda (Existence/consciousness/limitlessness (bliss). And that would have been more mantra entertainment too :D.

Hi RT, yeah, let's not take it out on the horse. :D Yes, I have no major disagreement with the gist of the above - I'm just expressing/exploring another possibility.

Seventeen years ago I had no interest in anything remotely spiritual - had never read a book on the subject and was casually skeptical. Then after trying meditation for relaxation purposes I had a spontaneous shift in perception (or opening) where time and separation seemed to recede and I saw that (and this is what I crudely scribbled down soon after the 'experience') "no thing exists… only everything exists".

Now it wasn't important (or even relevant) to me to define what this 'everything' was/is. But over the years I became interested in similar stories of shifts in perception, awakenings etc. and of course came across the notion that ultimate reality is Awareness. Right away, for me, that didn't feel quite right. It seemed too limiting to formulate ______________ in this way even though i couldn't articulate why.

Reality being ALL means that it is (obviously) also awareness - and since our 'experience' of Reality is dependent on awareness, for all intents and purposes the two are inseparable. But are they synonymous? Perhaps, but I don't know.

When we define something or think that we've got a handle on it, we limit it to some extent. I prefer to leave the question somewhat open...

And the fact remains that we can wake up from the dominance of the 'me network' and acknowledge and live from a vastness and mystery that is wondrous and nourishing without having to define it.
Rob X

Postby rachMiel » Sun Oct 30, 2016 4:53 pm

Rob X wrote:And the fact remains that we can wake up from the dominance of the 'me network' and acknowledge and live from a vastness and mystery that is wondrous and nourishing without having to define it.

This is what I love about the notion of brahman ... it is said to be attribute-free, so "definition" does not apply. How do you define something that has no attributes? Even saying it is attribute-free implies it has an attribute! That's why I feel the less said about brahman, source, awareness, the ground, God ... the better.
rachMiel

Postby dijmart » Sun Oct 30, 2016 10:01 pm

That's why I feel the less said about brahman, source, awareness, the ground, God ... the better.

Then what are we all doing here on this forum? Jk, I get what you mean, but seriously we "do" talk about it. It's just that language is limited, so "it" can really only ever be pointed to. Whether we call "it", "awareness" or "it" or "this" doesn't really matter, since we are all pointing to the same "thing", that's no-thing... :lol:
Take what you like and leave the rest.
dijmart

Postby rachMiel » Sun Oct 30, 2016 10:25 pm

It's a conundrum, in'nt? Seekers usually want to explore the Big Questions, even if they feel the Big Answers are not to be found.

That's why I keep coming back to the image of sharing stories around the campfire.
rachMiel

Postby runstrails » Wed Nov 02, 2016 8:19 pm

Wanted to post this satsang (Q&A) that I came across on James Swartz' website: It talks about using the word "this" interchangeably with awareness. I know you guys are not in the neo category--but in case in helps some one else, I thought I would link it here. It's long but worth the read, I thought.

http://www.shiningworld.com/site/satsang/read/1938
runstrails

Postby rachMiel » Thu Nov 03, 2016 2:52 am

> James: “This” implies a knower which is not “this.”

Not to me ... "this" is the whole enchilada.
rachMiel

Postby DavidB » Thu Nov 03, 2016 2:46 pm

What's your definition of awareness/consciousness?

The end of thought is the beginning of clarity.
“Wisdom is knowing I am nothing, Love is knowing I am everything, and between the two my life moves.” ― Sri Nisargadatta Maharaj
DavidB

Postby Rob X » Thu Nov 03, 2016 3:29 pm

rachMiel wrote:"this" is the whole enchilada.

Yes.

The use of THIS is found in Buddhism (often rendered as THUS or THUSNESS.) It's not pointing to anything objective it's a placeholder for the very BE-ing (another placeholder) of 'reality' prior to but including any notion of subject, object, Self, not-self, and the rest.
Rob X

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion