Consciousness is just pure knowing right?

A place for anything that doesn't fit into the existing forums

Consciousness is just pure knowing right?

Postby Nyseto » Fri Nov 25, 2016 8:11 am

I was thinking about something and how it may relate to consciousness but I don't know if it's right. When I was younger and in school, my English teacher always used to say that I can't define a word by including it in its own definition. Instead we use different words to define what a particular word means. However, here's the catch: we have to know the definition of the words we use to define a particular word. So that brings me to my question, is consciousness the thing that enables any type of knowing to occur in the first place? As babies for example, we don't know what the word black means. Later on we learn that black is a color. But then how do we know what the word color means? Somewhere along the line there has to be something that's always there with which we can "know" or be aware with. Is that what's meant by awareness and consciousness? Instead of getting caught up in what we are aware of, we should focus more on awareness itself. That's the whole essence of meditation right?
"There is no such thing as enlightenment. The appreciation of this fact is itself enlightenment." -Nisargadatta Maharaj
Nyseto

Re: Consciousness is just pure knowing right?

Postby dijmart » Fri Nov 25, 2016 7:49 pm

Hi Nyseto,

So that brings me to my question, is consciousness the thing that enables any type of knowing to occur in the first place?

Yes, but maybe not in the way you mean. Pure awareness enlivens and illumines the mind (which is inert), there by allowing the mind to be the relative "knower" of objects (including thoughts, feelings, etc). Awareness itself being a knower/witness, is in a figurative sense only, since it does not have a mind to know or witness objects, without the mind/body/sense complex.

However, without awareness the mind can't know or witness anything, as I said it is inert, so with the combination of mind (which is also awareness, in the sense it is created out of awareness) and pure awareness, you get a Jiva/person that is sentient. So, when you say "I AM", "I exist" it is pure awareness, you, reflected and registered within the mind. The mind enlivened and illumined by awareness, has the capacity to know, witness and discriminate.

Instead of getting caught up in what we are aware of, we should focus more on awareness itself. That's the whole essence of meditation right?

Correct! The mind can sense/apprehend it's true nature as awareness/the Self. When you've negated all objective phenomena, including the mind itself, what's left is you, awareness aware of itself.
Take what you like and leave the rest.
dijmart

Postby kiki » Sun Nov 27, 2016 4:38 am

No thing can be known without the presence of consciousness; consciousness is the "knowingness" that enables an object to be known. Without any object being illuminated by consciousness then what remains is simple knowingness/consciousness.
"Miss Kelly, perhaps you'd like this flower. I seem to have misplaced my buttonhole ... Miss Kelly, you know, when you wear my flower you make it look beautiful." Elwood P. Dowd
---
Your donation will help keep us online.
kiki

Postby dijmart » Sun Nov 27, 2016 4:46 am

Lol, glad you posted Kiki. I just reread my post and if the OP wasn't confused before my post they sure we're after... I know what I meant, but it was a bit much for 2 paragraphs. :lol:
Take what you like and leave the rest.
dijmart

Postby maaref » Sun Dec 04, 2016 8:54 pm

Consciousness is the space that enables everything else to appear. It is the no shape, no name, no colour, no taste, and therefore it allows all other things to appear on it.

On your example of black, it is interesting to know that black is not a colour as it does not reflect light. However, we just see it as such and label it in comparison to other colours.

Awakening is simply the ability to see the emptiness as oppose to the images. The images being illusory relative to the space which it appears in and therefore lack the ability to get you attached to it.

Next time, whenever you see black, think about it as no-thingness that allowed other colours to appear in it :)
maaref

Return to General Discussion