Just for a moment

A place for anything that doesn't fit into the existing forums

Just for a moment

Postby Rob X » Tue Dec 13, 2016 4:50 pm

Just for a moment, put the fancy concepts to one side - forget the metaphysics, the dogma and the theory and wake up to what is actually going on.

Move out of mind and simply look; here, now, THIS… Again, forget about that being yet another tired nonduality cliche and actually look to where it points… feel it... THIS that's going on, this living happening of existence… unmissable Reality itself. That's all this is about - almost too obvious.

Our predicament is that when we get old enough to be hypnotised by thought and language we start to believe that there can be a fragment of this ineffable Reality that is somehow separate and independent of it - and since we appear to be looking out from this fragment we conclude that an isolated fragment is what we are.

And yet we never move from our home. Life simply happening. That's what this is… that's what you are.
Rob X

Re: Just for a moment

Postby rachMiel » Tue Dec 13, 2016 7:39 pm

If your moment to moment life is grounded in peace and generosity and love, you're getting IT.

If not, you might be getting it ... but not IT.

The proof is in the pudding.
Merrily, merrily, merrily, merrily ...
rachMiel

Postby runstrails » Tue Dec 13, 2016 11:24 pm

Hi Rob and rM--you guys are my favorite neos :D.

Nice post, Rob.

I've often wondered, if we just gave children the proper worldview in the first place (that they are reality), then they would have a lot less unlearning to do as adults.
runstrails

Postby dijmart » Tue Dec 13, 2016 11:31 pm

"BUMP" RT....I was writing when you posted, then just posted without reading....Funny you wrote about kids and I wrote about my grandson here. So, I edited...to include this comment.

Hi Rob,

Nice post.

unmissable Reality itself. That's all this is about - almost too obvious.

So obvious, that it's usually missed. The background is not noticed, the foreground is only seen.

and since we appear to be looking out from this fragment we conclude that an isolated fragment is what we are.

My grandson has lived with us since birth and he will be 3 years old this month. I've watched his awareness start to dim (figuratively speaking) and his ego grow and form!

He just stopped talking in the third person, well he sometimes still does (ie. Milo wants a cookie). The serious temper tantrums started about 2 months ago, as fears and desires, have taken over the "live in the moment" attitude.

we never move from our home. Life simply happening. That's what this is… that's what you are.

Yes, this is true. Some may find it just that simple to understand. I found for myself though, that a teaching with "lingo" others are using to make certain points, understanding and for clarification was completely necessary. I love Vedanta, it is clear, to the point and it works. Just my 2 cents.
Take what you like and leave the rest.
dijmart

Postby Enlightened2B » Wed Dec 14, 2016 12:07 am

Ignore the title, but just enjoy the video as it relates directly to this OP:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EWY6IStW__I
Enlightened2B

Postby dijmart » Wed Dec 14, 2016 1:25 am

Enlightened2B wrote:Ignore the title, but just enjoy the video as it relates directly to this OP:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EWY6IStW__I

Nice video :)
dijmart

Postby Onceler » Wed Dec 14, 2016 2:47 am

rachMiel wrote:If your moment to moment life is grounded in peace and generosity and love, you're getting IT.

What if you are grounded in reality? And reality doesn't necessarily contain peace, love, or generosity?

What if you're okay with what's happening? An okayness, maybe not quite contentment, and your peace, generosity, and love are temporarily misplaced like your car keys? I mean, you know they're in the house cause your car is in the driveway.....?
Be present, be pleasant.
Onceler

Postby dijmart » Wed Dec 14, 2016 3:15 am

Onceler wrote-
and your peace, generosity, and love are temporarily misplaced like your car keys?

:lol:
dijmart

Postby rachMiel » Wed Dec 14, 2016 6:38 am

Onceler wrote:
rachMiel wrote:If your moment to moment life is grounded in peace and generosity and love, you're getting IT.

What if you are grounded in reality? And reality doesn't necessarily contain peace, love, or generosity?

Peace and love are not contained by anything. They are (pointers to) feelings that arise on their own when you do not believe you are a concrete self surrounded by concrete others (objects, people, etc.).

Or so it seems to me on this late Tuesday night sitting at my little laptop pushing these little plastic keys.
Merrily, merrily, merrily, merrily ...
rachMiel

Postby Onceler » Wed Dec 14, 2016 12:45 pm

I guess I don't get IT.

The funny thing is that I don't mind. Life is incredibly interesting without peace and love 24/7. It seems peace, love, and generosity would displace other experience? I enjoy the occasional anger, hissy fit, melancholy, selfish moment, discomfiture, grousing, gossiping, haughtiness, etc. Perhaps not. I know those moods will pass quickly and they are kinda fun....definitely not who I am.

Frankly, feeling peace, love, and generosity on a consistent basis sounds kinda boring. I feel calm, even when I'm upset or stressed. Does that count?
Be present, be pleasant.
Onceler

Postby Rob X » Wed Dec 14, 2016 1:19 pm

dijmart wrote:Yes, this is true. Some may find it just that simple to understand. I found for myself though, that a teaching with "lingo" others are using to make certain points, understanding and for clarification was completely necessary. I love Vedanta, it is clear, to the point and it works. Just my 2 cents.

Hey Dij, your love of Vedanta is coming across loud and clear these days - I'm glad that you've found a path that works. :D
Rob X

Postby Rob X » Wed Dec 14, 2016 1:29 pm

Onceler wrote:

What if you're okay with what's happening? An okayness, maybe not quite contentment, and your peace, generosity, and love are temporarily misplaced like your car keys? I mean, you know they're in the house cause your car is in the driveway.....?

Yes. I've heard it described as a deep 'YES' that lies beneath a surface 'NO'.

Life goes on with its challenges and difficulties - and body-mind-nervous systems are, to some degree or other, servants of their biological/psychological inclinations. It would be naive to suppose that that stuff would just evaporate overnight. (Although that particular line of fiction hasn't done the spiritual busine$$ any harm :D)
Rob X

Postby Rob X » Wed Dec 14, 2016 1:34 pm

runstrails wrote:Hi Rob and rM--you guys are my favorite neos :D.

Nice post, Rob.

I've often wondered, if we just gave children the proper worldview in the first place (that they are reality), then they would have a lot less unlearning to do as adults.

Hmmm, that's a bit of a double-edged one, RT. It's nice to be a favourite... but neo? That's a term that is usually intended as pejorative (not by you in this instance, I'm sure. :D)
Rob X

Postby runstrails » Wed Dec 14, 2016 4:40 pm

Rob wrote: Hmmm, that's a bit of a double-edged one, RT. It's nice to be a favourite... but neo? That's a term that is usually intended as pejorative (not by you in this instance, I'm sure. :D)

Rob, no edge at all. I meant it with the utmost affection. I enjoy your posts. Your wisdom encompasses non-traditional paths--that's all I meant :D.
runstrails

Postby Onceler » Wed Dec 14, 2016 5:25 pm

Rob X wrote:
Onceler wrote:

Yes. I've heard it described as a deep 'YES' that lies beneath a surface 'NO'.

Life goes on with its challenges and difficulties - and body-mind-nervous systems are, to some degree or other, servants of their biological/psychological inclinations. It would be naive to suppose that that stuff would just evaporate overnight. (Although that particular line of fiction hasn't done the spiritual busine$$ any harm :D)

I like that deeper yes concept. That feels right. Not only does the "stuff" not evaporate, but I'm saying it won't and shouldn't. It's life. There seem to be two ways in non-dual thinking. Suffering (I believe it's called samsara?) or an enlightened, transcendent way. I am coming to see a third way......given that very few people achieve enlightenment and transcendence and given that suffering is not a good option, in fact it kinda sucks.

The third way ( and maybe this is what the Buddha called the middle way) is a release from fear and suffering and doesn't involve transcendence, but becoming more fully human. Feeling and thinking and reacting in more or less the typical fashion, but understanding that these thought, emotions and reactions are not you, because you've inquired, looked and found who you are.....felt you. So this frees you to go thru an ordinary human life freely open to the amazing wash of experience, not filtering for fear and dread, and accepting what comes as necessary and fundamental experience. Joy, pain, and the many nuances of this crazy world.

How do you know you're on the third path? Not by peace, love, and generosity as those transcendent states are of the enlightened.....maybe I don't have a good handle on that path, but rather there is an end to searching and seeking. Let's use the car key analogy. When we find our car keys, we immediately stop seeking, right? Foolish to run through the house looking for them while they are in you hand. Even more foolish to get into the car and drive somewhere to look for you keys.

I think you know you're on the third way when you stop seeking. Seeking transcendence, joy, peace, a solution, etc. you open to life, and it's certainly a transition as Ashley pointed out. You become fully human, knowing that there is nothing at stake and we can simply experience the grand parade, in full spectrum.

This is my growing experience and I wouldn't trade it for transcendence at this point.
Last edited by Onceler on Wed Dec 14, 2016 5:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Be present, be pleasant.
Onceler

Next

Return to General Discussion