Inspirational quotes

A place for anything that doesn't fit into the existing forums

Re: Inspirational quotes

Postby dijmart » Mon Jan 09, 2017 6:49 pm

From Kirshnamurti quote-

You don't have to do a thing.

I don't like this part. What about Self inquiry? Inquiry is an action taken by the mind, that leads to Self knowledge, which is not an action. So, is that what he's referring to, the non-action of knowledge?
Take what you like and leave the rest.
dijmart

Postby rachMiel » Mon Jan 09, 2017 7:53 pm

dijmart wrote:From Kirshnamurti quote-

I don't like this part. What about Self inquiry? Inquiry is an action taken by the mind, that leads to Self knowledge, which is not an action. So, is that what he's referring to, the non-action of knowledge?

I think he is getting at what Advaita means by "there is no doer." His form of meditation was choiceless awareness, to be nonjudgmentally aware of whatever arises without thinking about or interpreting it: sensations, thoughts, feelings, etc. It's very similar to what's now called mindfulness, but it goes deeper. Choiceless awareness is passive ... it sees, but does not act. He said that being choicelessly aware eventually awakens intelligence, which is pretty much Advaita's Self knowledge.
Merrily, merrily, merrily, merrily ...
rachMiel

Postby dijmart » Mon Jan 09, 2017 8:12 pm

rachMiel wrote:
dijmart wrote:From Kirshnamurti quote-

I think he is getting at what Advaita means by "there is no doer." His form of meditation was choiceless awareness, to be nonjudgmentally aware of whatever arises without thinking about or interpreting it: sensations, thoughts, feelings, etc. It's very similar to what's now called mindfulness, but it goes deeper. Choiceless awareness is passive ... it sees, but does not act. He said that being choicelessly aware eventually awakens intelligence, which is pretty much Advaita's Self knowledge.

Oh, I see. I don't know enough about him to be able to translate what he's saying. Thanks

Ps, his choiceless awareness seems the same as "witnessing awareness" (or the "experiencing witness") in Vedanta.
dijmart

Postby dijmart » Mon Jan 09, 2017 10:35 pm

dijmart

Postby rachMiel » Mon Jan 09, 2017 10:36 pm

dijmart wrote:... his choiceless awareness seems the same as "witnessing awareness" (or the "experiencing witness") in Vedanta.

Sounds right. Krishnamurti talks about the observer (aware-r) and the observed (aware-d) eventually merging into one thing = observing (aware-ing). If memory serves, Vedanta says something quite similar about the witness/witnessed, right?
rachMiel

Postby rachMiel » Mon Jan 09, 2017 11:01 pm

You are the knowing, not the condition that is known.

My take is more Buddhist than Advaitin here. I would say:

You are neither the knowing nor the condition known.

Or, more accurately:

You are neither the knowing/known nor *not* the knowing/known. (Confusing, right? It's supposed to be!)
rachMiel

Postby dijmart » Mon Jan 09, 2017 11:58 pm

Apparently, my post was unhelpful and confusing so I'm deleting.
Last edited by dijmart on Tue Jan 10, 2017 4:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
dijmart

Postby rachMiel » Tue Jan 10, 2017 12:21 am

I deleted my comment too, because I think it came across as offensive ... which was NOT my intention ... at all.
Last edited by rachMiel on Tue Jan 10, 2017 5:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
rachMiel

Postby Onceler » Tue Jan 10, 2017 1:27 am

rachMiel wrote:Oy, my achin' head! How could something SO simple (as being) be SO frickin' hard to get at in words? 8)

Because if you don't get it, you use words as ladders and scaffolding to get it.....but you can't talk/climb your way into getting it, it's a grand spiritual tradition?

If you do get it you know you don't need words, but you try to describe the immutable, indescribable in order to help others get it, but it doesn't help because you can't use words to get it.

Or was your question rhetorical?
Be present, be pleasant.
Onceler

Postby rachMiel » Tue Jan 10, 2017 5:46 am

I hope I didn't upset anyone? If I did, I'm really sorry. I was just trying to say that I sometimes get frustrated with how hard it is to get something so simple. At least it is for me. I get lost in the words, ideas, logic ... and end up living in the thought of truth instead of the experience of it.
rachMiel

Postby Onceler » Tue Jan 10, 2017 1:45 pm

rachMiel wrote:I hope I didn't upset anyone? If I did, I'm really sorry. I was just trying to say that I sometimes get frustrated with how hard it is to get something so simple. At least it is for me. I get lost in the words, ideas, logic ... and end up living in the thought of truth instead of the experience of it.

Not upset here.....I think you're right, it is Simple and it is incredibly hard to describe. I'm flummoxed at the sheer volume of words and ideas out there about all this down through the centuries, culminating in the current state of websites, books, teachers, and terabytes of digital material. It's astounding. Your comment also struck me as kinda funny for some reason.
Be present, be pleasant.
Onceler

Postby dijmart » Tue Jan 10, 2017 2:24 pm

It's all good RM. I've been sick for a week and out of sheer laziness/tiredness, I didn't expand on my post. It made sense in my mind when I wrote it, but not so much later...
dijmart

Postby dijmart » Tue Jan 10, 2017 2:33 pm

Onceler, I really don't get why you are so suprised? How many awakened people do you know? How many in your circle even talk about this stuff? My count is zero, except my sister, occasionally, because she read "A new earth". It has to be told, yes in words, in a magnitude of ways, to reach anyone, since we as Jivas are all so different (personalities, beliefs, etc). Plus, we are on a dissusion forum, where I thought the point was, uh, to discuss.
dijmart

Postby rachMiel » Tue Jan 10, 2017 2:45 pm

Onceler wrote:
rachMiel wrote:I hope I didn't upset anyone? If I did, I'm really sorry. I was just trying to say that I sometimes get frustrated with how hard it is to get something so simple. At least it is for me. I get lost in the words, ideas, logic ... and end up living in the thought of truth instead of the experience of it.

Not upset here.....I think you're right, it is Simple and it is incredibly hard to describe. I'm flummoxed at the sheer volume of words and ideas out there about all this down through the centuries, culminating in the current state of websites, books, teachers, and terabytes of digital material. It's astounding. Your comment also struck me as kinda funny for some reason.

I meant it to be funny, but from the reactions I figured it might have been offensive ...
rachMiel

Postby rachMiel » Tue Jan 10, 2017 2:52 pm

dijmart wrote:It's all good RM. I've been sick for a week and out of sheer laziness/tiredness, I didn't expand on my post. It made sense in my mind when I wrote it, but not so much later...

My comment was thoughtless, and I'm sorry I disturbed you, and I will do my best to be more careful from here on.
rachMiel

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion