Inspirational quotes

A place for anything that doesn't fit into the existing forums

Re: Inspirational quotes

Postby rachMiel » Tue Jan 10, 2017 5:27 pm

A limerick that at first glance reads like nonsense (especially the last line), but if you look deeper ...

There once was a man who said though,
It seems that I know that I know,
What I'd like to see,
Is the I that knows me,
When I know that I know that I know.
Merrily, merrily, merrily, merrily ...
rachMiel

Postby Onceler » Tue Jan 10, 2017 7:13 pm

I meant to be funny too.
Be present, be pleasant.
Onceler

Postby Onceler » Tue Jan 10, 2017 7:17 pm

dijmart wrote:Onceler, I really don't get why you are so suprised? How many awakened people do you know? How many in your circle even talk about this stuff? My count is zero, except my sister, occasionally, because she read "A new earth". It has to be told, yes in words, in a magnitude of ways, to reach anyone, since we as Jivas are all so different (personalities, beliefs, etc). Plus, we are on a dissusion forum, where I thought the point was, uh, to discuss.

What I'm surprised at is why something so simple can be made so complicated, I've done it myself, of course. I implicate the spiritual traditions for not making this more clear, however it may be something in our human nature that makes it so difficult to do (directly see/feel who we are). Not sure.

The words melt in your mouth, but not in your heart.
Be present, be pleasant.
Onceler

Postby rachMiel » Tue Jan 10, 2017 7:28 pm

Onceler wrote:I meant to be funny too.

We should have a Funny Alert! flag that we unfurl for any funny-intended messages that might be misconstrued.

I use smilies a bunch, but they don't always do the trick.
rachMiel

Postby rachMiel » Tue Jan 10, 2017 7:59 pm

dijmart wrote:How many in your circle even talk about this stuff?

Start a group of fellow spiritual seekers/finders in your hometown or online? A trusted circle kind of thing?

I talk in person with Nancy about spiritual thingies, we have a similar understanding of what's going on. I'm a member of a local Buddhist sangha, but hardly ever attend meetings (too formal for me).

Other than that, all my spiritual conversations are online. And I'm quite content to commune via forum and email writing.
rachMiel

Postby dijmart » Tue Jan 10, 2017 8:06 pm

it may be something in our human nature that makes it so difficult to do (directly see/feel who we are).

Bingo, it's the mind. The mind thinks it a seperate self. So, the teacher or guru's job is to inform the mind it's not what it thinks it is, it's awareness (the Self/consciousness). If one could say, "you are awareness, not a seperate person" and it would be accepted as truth, then it would be simple.

The mind is ignorant (this is hard wired), it doubts and questions, thats it's nature, it usually doesnt accept that its awareness and even if it did, it doesnt understand what that means. So, then the search either starts or continues, until finally the mind (more specifically the intellect), "gets it". Even after one "gets it", there's usually more to be done to "assimilate" the Self knowledge.
Take what you like and leave the rest.
dijmart

Postby dijmart » Tue Jan 10, 2017 8:19 pm

Start a group of fellow spiritual seekers/finders in your hometown or online? A trusted circle kind of thing?

Ahhh, I'm more introverted now a days, then extroverted. In person, it would be nice to discuss with people close to me, but they're not interested in the topic and have never shown an interest. It's not for everyone, that's for sure.

I talk in person with Nancy about spiritual thingies,

Thats cool. Who's Nancy, your wife?
dijmart

Postby dijmart » Tue Jan 10, 2017 8:30 pm

rachMiel wrote:
Onceler wrote:I meant to be funny too.

We should have a Funny Alert! flag that we unfurl for any funny-intended messages that might be misconstrued.

I use smilies a bunch, but they don't always do the trick.

Like I said, I haven't been feeling well, can't seem to shake this cold. Also, I'm getting a biopsy tomorrow and I'm a little nervous since I'll need stitches. So, I don't think, no scratch that...I know, I had no "sense" of humor yesterday evening. Everything was going through my "serious" filter.
dijmart

Postby rachMiel » Tue Jan 10, 2017 9:01 pm

dijmart wrote:Thats cool. Who's Nancy, your wife?

Longtime partner ... 30 year anniversary coming up!
rachMiel

Postby dijmart » Tue Jan 10, 2017 9:14 pm

rachMiel wrote:
dijmart wrote:Thats cool. Who's Nancy, your wife?

Longtime partner ... 30 year anniversary coming up!

Nice! I've been with my husband 29 years in April (married 25 this past Aug).
dijmart

Postby rachMiel » Tue Jan 10, 2017 10:57 pm

:-)
rachMiel

Postby dijmart » Wed Jan 11, 2017 4:29 am

dijmart

Postby Onceler » Wed Jan 11, 2017 2:48 pm

dijmart wrote:
it may be something in our human nature that makes it so difficult to do (directly see/feel who we are).

Bingo, it's the mind. The mind thinks it a seperate self. So, the teacher or guru's job is to inform the mind it's not what it thinks it is, it's awareness (the Self/consciousness). If one could say, "you are awareness, not a seperate person" and it would be accepted as truth, then it would be simple.

The mind is ignorant (this is hard wired), it doubts and questions, thats it's nature, it usually doesnt accept that its awareness and even if it did, it doesnt understand what that means. So, then the search either starts or continues, until finally the mind (more specifically the intellect), "gets it". Even after one "gets it", there's usually more to be done to "assimilate" the Self knowledge.

I'm not sure the mind is the problem.....not primarily anyway. I think it's the low throb of fear that infects our mind and turns it from a neutral tool to a highly evolved detector of any threat, anything uncomfortable. I see fear as the high octane fuel, the nitro burst that taints and saturates our thoughts desires and motives. It will attack the one thing that gives us freedom: seeing/feeling immersing in our true nature.....the simplest thing in the world is the hardest because of these red alert systems. I would posit that much of spirituality performs the function of defense and fear. All those words and concepts, as beautiful as they are, can keep us from the raw experience of seeing ourselves.

Just some thoughts. Hope your biopsy goes well rachMeil.
Be present, be pleasant.
Onceler

Postby rachMiel » Wed Jan 11, 2017 3:52 pm

Onceler wrote:Hope your biopsy goes well rachMeil.

Sheesh ... I didn't even know I was supposed to get one! (It's dij's appointment.) ;-)
rachMiel

Postby dijmart » Wed Jan 11, 2017 5:00 pm

Fear is a product of the ego, therefore an aspect of mind.
dijmart

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion