Thoughts on thoughts

A place for anything that doesn't fit into the existing forums

Thoughts on thoughts

Postby Ntwarr76 » Thu Jan 12, 2017 10:07 am

Eckhart says that concepts or viewpoints are just a useless bundle of thoughts. Isn't his books just a bundle of thoughts? What if your viewpoints lead you to stillness?
Ntwarr76

Re: Thoughts on thoughts

Postby DavidB » Thu Jan 12, 2017 1:24 pm

Ntwarr76 wrote:Eckhart says that concepts or viewpoints are just a useless bundle of thoughts. Isn't his books just a bundle of thoughts? What if your viewpoints lead you to stillness?

Yes, Eckhart's book is just a bundle of thoughts, thoughts which he refers to as pointers.

A map and road signs will help get us to our destination for example, but neither the map nor the road signs are the destination itself. A map is a model of a landscape, not the actual landscape itself. A road sign points to where we need to go. Thoughts are like models of things in the real world and can be helpful in pointing us to this realization. We find stillness when we realize that we are not our thoughts.
“Wisdom is knowing I am nothing, Love is knowing I am everything, and between the two my life moves.” ― Sri Nisargadatta Maharaj
DavidB

Re: Thoughts on thoughts

Postby dijmart » Thu Jan 12, 2017 9:22 pm

We find stillness when we realize that we are not our thoughts.

Not only are we not our thoughts, we are not our body, emotions, feelings, sensations or anything else you can point to spacially. All those things are "apparently" real. Meaning, they exist, as we can experience them but theyre not ultimately "real". They change, come and go. Only you (awareness) do not change and are ever present.

So, thoughts, they are needed for self inquiry (using a thorn to remove a thorn) and to interact in the world, so although not ultimately "real", they are necessary.

What I think Tolle was referring to were "unnecessary" thoughts, the "constant" chatter in the mind... those arent necessary.
Take what you like and leave the rest.
dijmart

Return to General Discussion