Thoughts on unconsciously supporting negative beliefs

A place for anything that doesn't fit into the existing forums

Thoughts on unconsciously supporting negative beliefs

Postby Scouser » Sat Jan 14, 2017 3:20 pm

I am interested in any thoughts people might have on this subject.

This is an area that is a constant challenge for me. I will often find myself giving roots to thoughts, which don't seem to serve me in any constructive way. Even when negative thoughts are justified, I feel there should always be a way to get some clarity and not feed the thoughts, but perhaps bring acceptance. My usual method for dealing with things of this nature is to recognise, embrace and let it pass, however very often I am unconsciously drawn into creating all kinds of stories and scenarios around these thoughts.

From my limited knowledge, it seems like there are a number of ways of dealing with troubling thoughts. Some people suggest going deep into these thoughts/feelings whilst others suggest acknowledging, but not indulging. I tend to practice the latter.

It seems that when I do become conscious of these thoughts happening, they have control over me and it can be seriously difficult to return to equilibrium, in fact, I find myself giving in, in the knowing that all things change and nothing remains the same. Still this doesn't stop me thinking that there is room for improvement. I just don't know how ? When I am in the middle of these episodes, I can sense grasping and fear and although I have some understanding as to where these feelings originate from, it's like reaching a tipping point were you cant get yourself back on track.

Sometimes in life we can be presented with circumstances that don't always make a lot of sense and as a result can be very challenging. That is life I guess, but again I feel knowledge can alleviate, but sometimes I feel like a blind man, being led by an ego which doesn't have my best interests at heart, and it doesn't always want to let up until it has sucked me dry. The only consolation is that I have an inner strength/guide that keeps me able to face anything that comes my way.

That being said we all want our days to be as enjoyable as they can be.
Scouser

Re: Thoughts on unconsciously supporting negative beliefs

Postby dijmart » Mon Jan 16, 2017 8:45 pm

When I am in the middle of these episodes, I can sense grasping and fear and although I have some understanding as to where these feelings originate from, it's like reaching a tipping point were you cant get yourself back on track.

So, who is the "I" you are referring to? This is where you should start your inquiry. Who/what is this grasping/fearful "I"? Is it you, awareness?Or is it the little "me"/ego?

It's the little "me"/ego! Is that your true identity or a false/pseudo identity superimposed upon you?

The reason you get to a tipping point, as you say, and don't seem to be able to get yourself back on track is because you are identifying with the wrong "I". You are identifying with the ego and not with your true Self.

Yes, getting lost in thought "for a time" may happen regardless, but when identifying with your true nature (awareness), then that becomes your default mode, opposed to ego, which leads to "stories" and more concepts.
Take what you like and leave the rest.
dijmart

Re: Thoughts on unconsciously supporting negative beliefs

Postby dijmart » Mon Jan 16, 2017 9:54 pm

Btw, ego is nothing more then the I-thought, it is a thought that can be witnessed, by you (awareness), therefore it is not you. Its a thought that claims ownership and doership over the body/mind/sense complex (person). Its not ultimately real, it's just a thought, so it can't be destroyed, only understood for what it is....
Take what you like and leave the rest.
dijmart

Return to General Discussion