Being present and being an entrepreneur

A place for anything that doesn't fit into the existing forums

Being present and being an entrepreneur

Postby whoshuydoan » Tue Jan 24, 2017 2:24 am

Hi everybody,

I am new to the forum and new to Eckhart Tolle but I have read 'A New Earth" and "Power of Now" and must say it really resonates with me. I am an entrepreneur who owns two businesses of which I work almost 120 hours a week. I work, sleep, read, meditate and pretty much nothing else. I try to remain present and be mindful but for someone in my situation, it is near impossible. I have to prepare myself for incoming bills, employee wages, and I have to plan my day as to remain efficient. I play out dialogues in my head to employees or customers as to prepare myself for future interactions. Being present is great but my bills are still coming and wages still need to be paid and I have to prepare for that. How can I be present when it's inevitable that the future is coming? If I have a bill next week and know that it needs to be paid, how can I remain present? As the baker of my donut shop, timing is critical so everything has to be planned for by the minute (i.e. I need to flip the donut in ten seconds or mix the dough for thirty minutes and the list goes on). Everything is mapped out for the future for me to be efficient. I'm trying to find a balance and I find it real difficult. Can someone please help and enlighten me?
whoshuydoan

Re: Being present and being an entrepreneur

Postby Webwanderer » Tue Jan 24, 2017 3:34 pm

Welcome to the forum.

I suggest you recognize more intimately with what you are rather than identifying with what you do. 'You' are not a baker. You are the consciousness 'within which' baking, and all the other stuff in your experience, takes place. While you have a lot on your plate in your life, you can still find short moments to reset your perspective back to the clarity of consciousness being. These moments can take place many times in your day. Take them often even if it's only a few seconds. That ten seconds waiting on the donuts can be put to good use.

You can also do what Adyashanti coined as true meditation. That is taking a perspective of a non-judgmental observer even while you are actively involved with what you are doing. I'm guessing that much of what you do is so repetitive that you can do it on auto pilot. Observe with interest the things you can do without thought.

If I have a bill next week and know that it needs to be paid, how can I remain present?

By trusting in your own inner guidance that it will get done. Fretting about it won't pay it in any case. It will only add to your consternation and anxiety. Only clear minded action will take you where you need to be and still allow you to enjoy the journey. And enjoying what you do matters a lot in staying present. So pay attention to the many things you find enjoyable in your day and give them acknowledgement. Enjoyment and appreciation are presence enhancing properties. Take advantage of them. Focus on them. Create more of them. Live them consciously and with intent.

Be patient, and avoid self criticism. A change in perspective and a more enjoyable experience will come as you focus on a new way of seeing.

WW
Webwanderer

Re: Being present and being an entrepreneur

Postby eputkonen » Tue Jan 24, 2017 11:47 pm

whoshuydoan wrote:Everything is mapped out for the future for me to be efficient. I'm trying to find a balance and I find it real difficult. Can someone please help and enlighten me?

If you are hiking through fields, woods, etc...what do you do? Obviously, if you were just looking at where your feet were going at the moment (totally present)...you would veer off course and likely never reach your goal. However, if you spent all your time looking at the mountain top in the distance...you will stay on course, but you will fall into pits and trip over things you can't see right where you are at because you are not paying attention to the here and now. So a mix of some sort is needed. However, only a little attention on the mountain top is needed at intervals (not constantly) to stay on course and the rest focused on the present. You may come to find out (and be surprised) by how little attention is needed on the future to stay on course. By and large, we think about the future far more than absolutely needed.
Namaste,

~ Eric Putkonen
@EngagedNondual on Twitter
Blog at http://www.EngagedNonduality.com
eputkonen

Return to General Discussion