Good-Looking People are Very Unlikely to be Enlightened?

A place for anything that doesn't fit into the existing forums

Good-Looking People are Very Unlikely to be Enlightened?

Postby Rubber Soul » Thu Feb 02, 2017 3:43 am

I remember hearing Eckhart say that in an Oprah thing. I think it was A New Earth promotion. He also said it wasn't ever a problem for him, and chuckled, haha.

Anyone know what I'm talking about?
Rubber Soul
 
Posts: 82
Joined: Mon Sep 26, 2011 1:09 pm

Re: Good-Looking People are Very Unlikely to be Enlightened?

Postby dijmart » Thu Feb 02, 2017 4:10 am

Rubber Soul wrote:I remember hearing Eckhart say that in an Oprah thing. I think it was A New Earth promotion. He also said it wasn't ever a problem for him, and chuckled, haha.

Anyone know what I'm talking about?


Haha, years ago I watched the whole series with him and Oprah, so I'm sure I did, but don't remember specifically, however Id bet he only meant that one who is good looking might be so wrapped up in their outer beauty, they may not be able to look within.

You could say the same about money, fame, power, status, ect. It doesn't necessarily mean that these things can't or shouldn't be there, but that they can be obstacles.
Take what you like and leave the rest.
User avatar
dijmart
 
Posts: 2078
Joined: Fri Jun 11, 2010 4:35 pm

Re: Good-Looking People are Very Unlikely to be Enlightened?

Postby Rubber Soul » Thu Feb 02, 2017 5:46 am

^I completely agree with all of that
Rubber Soul
 
Posts: 82
Joined: Mon Sep 26, 2011 1:09 pm

Re: Good-Looking People are Very Unlikely to be Enlightened?

Postby painBody » Fri Feb 03, 2017 3:00 am

I do see some shred of truth in it, and I've certainly known (or known of) quite a few good looking people who became the "them" in "Forgive them for they know not what they do".

However, I highly doubt that ET said that in those exact words. In any case, I disagree with the statement, because, according to every woman who's ever known me (and some who didn't), I'm pretty damn good looking.

It must have been nothing more than a joke, if it was expressed in those words. It is one's path that determines the likelihood of becoming enlightened/awakened, not one's looks.
painBody
 
Posts: 384
Joined: Fri Aug 12, 2016 10:25 pm
Location: Not on this forum

Re: Good-Looking People are Very Unlikely to be Enlightened?

Postby Rubber Soul » Mon Feb 06, 2017 11:35 pm

painBody wrote:I disagree with the statement, because, according to every woman who's ever known me (and some who didn't), I'm pretty damn good looking.


Me too, but have you transcended it?
Rubber Soul
 
Posts: 82
Joined: Mon Sep 26, 2011 1:09 pm

Re: Good-Looking People are Very Unlikely to be Enlightened?

Postby dijmart » Tue Feb 07, 2017 6:16 pm

Rubber Soul wrote:
painBody wrote:I disagree with the statement, because, according to every woman who's ever known me (and some who didn't), I'm pretty damn good looking.


Me too, but have you transcended it?


Are you referring to non-attachment? In that sense you can enjoy it, why not? but you don't derive your sense of self from it and you know that since everything changes (comes and goes) one day you will look in the mirror and your good looks will change into an old man. So, if you were attached to your good looks, this may be devastating and you will suffer accordingly. If your not attached you just see the changes and move on...
Take what you like and leave the rest.
User avatar
dijmart
 
Posts: 2078
Joined: Fri Jun 11, 2010 4:35 pm

Re: Good-Looking People are Very Unlikely to be Enlightened?

Postby Rubber Soul » Wed Feb 08, 2017 9:08 am

^Completely agree again
Rubber Soul
 
Posts: 82
Joined: Mon Sep 26, 2011 1:09 pm

Re: Good-Looking People are Very Unlikely to be Enlightened?

Postby painBody » Wed Feb 08, 2017 9:18 am

Rubber Soul and dij, I will say this ...

For many years, my (again, according to women) good looks caused me a LOT of suffering, because, despite my looks, I've been totally alone almost my whole life. So, I used to constantly ask myself, "Why am I so alone, despite my good looks ?". Yes, I was very much attached to my good looks.

Today, that question is totally irrelevant to me. Sometimes, the ego does reappear and complain, but my surrender to the now overwhelms my ego, for the most part.

To answer your question, Rubber Soul, yes, I have transcended it (I don't identify with it), but I'm still aware, on the level of form, that women find me physically attractive.
painBody
 
Posts: 384
Joined: Fri Aug 12, 2016 10:25 pm
Location: Not on this forum

Re: Good-Looking People are Very Unlikely to be Enlightened?

Postby Rubber Soul » Thu Feb 09, 2017 5:59 am

hmm, that's interesting

how old are you?
Rubber Soul
 
Posts: 82
Joined: Mon Sep 26, 2011 1:09 pm

Re: Good-Looking People are Very Unlikely to be Enlightened?

Postby painBody » Thu Feb 09, 2017 6:14 am

Rubber Soul wrote:hmm, that's interesting

how old are you?


33
painBody
 
Posts: 384
Joined: Fri Aug 12, 2016 10:25 pm
Location: Not on this forum


Return to General Discussion

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests