Concentration

A place for anything that doesn't fit into the existing forums

Concentration

Postby scubadubastiv » Fri Feb 03, 2017 12:33 pm

Morning all

I have a question with regards to presence and concentration.

When I am listening to people talk my attention sometimes wanders. This seems to initially start because of judgements that I start to make about them or opinions on the topic that come to mind. I suppose that I get sucked into those judgements/opinions and get taken away from their voice! It does not happen all of the time and it can happen more often with certain people. I eventually notice that my mind has wondered off and I bring myself back to listen to them.

Rather interestingly (?) I notice that my concentration can be bullet proof in some areas too. When I write I tend to be extremely focused- probably the most focused that I have ever been. This makes me a little confused as to whether I have a good level of concentration or not as it seems to be selectively better in some areas compared to others

What techniques does Eckhart Tolle recommend for improving concentration? I’ve tried searching on Google and within his book but I’ve found nothing that directly answers my question. Is it correct to say that my awareness is a guide that notices when I’ve been overcome by my mind? And that once it has noticed, it can bring me back to the present, which will allow me to sit back down in the concentration seat? I feel quite confident that I do not understand these concepts fully!

Thank you for any insights.
scubadubastiv

Re: Concentration

Postby dijmart » Fri Feb 03, 2017 5:45 pm

Is it correct to say that my awareness is a guide that notices when I’ve been overcome by my mind? And that once it has noticed, it can bring me back to the present, which will allow me to sit back down in the concentration seat?

You don't "have" awareness, you "are" awareness. Therefore, it is you (awareness) that sees the coming and going of the mind, the concentration or lack of concentration. You are aware of it all, as it presents itself in/to you.

With that said, its the discriminating faculty of the mind, called the intellect, that notices when you've veared off course and refocuses attention. The lower aspects of the mind are what we would refer as the chatterbox...it just can chatter, chatter all day long. So, it is the intellect that focuses where attention will be placed and discriminates between the real (awareness) and the "apparently" real (person).

To improve concentration, you would have to sharpen your discriminating faculty (ie. Intellect), so it doesn't follow random thoughts down the rabbit hole at any given time. Any techniques regarding mindfulness and staying present, would be helpful.
Take what you like and leave the rest.
dijmart

Re: Concentration

Postby scubadubastiv » Tue Feb 07, 2017 4:32 pm

Thanks for making that clearer. Didn't realise that someone had responded (hence late reply).
scubadubastiv

Return to General Discussion