"Nothing is stronger than emotions."

A place for anything that doesn't fit into the existing forums

"Nothing is stronger than emotions."

Postby rachMiel » Thu Feb 09, 2017 4:59 am

A very sweet and wise woman I studied with for many years once said this to me. At the time I didn't really buy it. But more and more I can see that, for myself at least, it's so true. A really big emotion can feel as huge as the universe.
Merrily, merrily, merrily, merrily ...
rachMiel

Re: "Nothing is stronger than emotions."

Postby rachMiel » Fri Feb 10, 2017 6:56 pm

I'm not really trying to make a point here. I'm just expressing my astonishment at how powerful an emotion can be. It can be everything, a 10+ on the Psycho-Richter scale. Where does that energy come from ... where does it go?
rachMiel

Postby Enlightened2B » Fri Feb 10, 2017 11:55 pm

Psycho Richter scale. Well that's a new one. So, that's how they (I would presume) measure the emotional energy of an Earthquake.
Enlightened2B

Postby rachMiel » Sat Feb 11, 2017 12:03 am

Of an earthquake happening inside someone, yes. ;-)
rachMiel

Postby DavidB » Sat Feb 11, 2017 11:58 pm

Sometimes I tend to believe that the main reason for human existence, is to foster emotional maturity.
“Wisdom is knowing I am nothing, Love is knowing I am everything, and between the two my life moves.” ― Sri Nisargadatta Maharaj
DavidB

Postby rachMiel » Sun Feb 12, 2017 12:14 am

Non-duality teachers often say that consciousness is boundless, infinite. That's how I feel about a strong emotion: It fills everything. Emotion is clearly (an expression of) consciousness, yes?
rachMiel

Postby Onceler » Sun Feb 12, 2017 12:16 am

Sometimes subtle emotions can be more powerful than anger, no?
Be present, be pleasant.
Onceler

Postby dijmart » Sun Feb 12, 2017 3:32 am

To me, thoughts "appear" within awareness, they are assessed/judged, depending on the judgement this creates what emotions "appear" or don't appear. Then, these emotions are assessed/judged, this can cause either repulsion/suppression/acceptance if negative or a grasping for more if pleasant. When any emotion is viewed/judged as acceptable and accepted at that time they arise, then they will come/go like clouds and won't leave a residue in the psyche. It's helps for me to realize they are visitors and not permanent guests.
Take what you like and leave the rest.
dijmart

Postby Rubber Soul » Sun Feb 12, 2017 9:24 am

Emotions are where the body and mind meet, or the body's reaction to thoughts. That's an approximation of what Eckhart says.
Rubber Soul

Postby DavidB » Tue Feb 14, 2017 9:47 pm

Indeed, emotions are the bodies response to an event or a thought or memory. Emotions can't tell the difference between an actual event or a thought or memory about an event.
“Wisdom is knowing I am nothing, Love is knowing I am everything, and between the two my life moves.” ― Sri Nisargadatta Maharaj
DavidB

Postby maaref » Fri Feb 17, 2017 12:39 pm

rachMiel wrote:Non-duality teachers often say that consciousness is boundless, infinite. That's how I feel about a strong emotion: It fills everything. Emotion is clearly (an expression of) consciousness, yes?

Emotion is consciousness but consciousness is not emotion. In non-duality everything is consciousness.

rachMiel wrote:I'm not really trying to make a point here. I'm just expressing my astonishment at how powerful an emotion can be. It can be everything, a 10+ on the Psycho-Richter scale. Where does that energy come from ... where does it go?

Thoughts, emotions and all other objects are consciousness too. Everything is consciousness. Where does everything come from? Where does consciousness come from?

Well because everything is not real but only appearing in non-dual awareness. There is a logic for how things appeared and multiplied, but that would take too long to explain, but you can search one of my early threads titled "How did creation start" or something like that. It may be difficult to read through because it needs proper explanation but it may help you get the idea.
maaref

Return to General Discussion