How to UNLEARN Enlightenment?

A place for anything that doesn't fit into the existing forums

How to UNLEARN Enlightenment?

Postby Alan Watts Prodigy » Mon Feb 13, 2017 11:14 pm

A question popped into my mind this morning that I would love to hear E.T. reply to......

How do you unlearn Enlightenment?

If something can be obtained as a greater realization, how does one discard it once realized?

We can physically discard objects quite easily around our lives, but how does one discard the weight within a realization greater than oneself
that embeds itself consciously? Much like traumas can linger for years upon the afflicted, is it not also possible for enlightenment to do the same?

AWP
Alan Watts Prodigy

Re: How to UNLEARN Enlightenment?

Postby Webwanderer » Mon Feb 13, 2017 11:25 pm

Welcome to the forum Prodigy. (Your duplicates on this topic were removed. One post on a subject is sufficient. When a moderator enters the room he/she will approve it. Such delays will only last for a short while.)

Just so everyone is considering the same issue, what is Enlightenment in your understanding?

WW
Webwanderer

Postby Alan Watts Prodigy » Tue Feb 14, 2017 12:59 am

For discussion:

If you stumble upon a "Truth" that no one has seen within the masses of people...... And within that Awakening, you wish to forget you found it in the first place -

Is UN-Enlightenment possible once it written upon the mind?
Alan Watts Prodigy

Postby Webwanderer » Tue Feb 14, 2017 1:51 am

Alan Watts Prodigy wrote:If you stumble upon a "Truth" that no one has seen within the masses of people....

Interesting context from which to start. How would you know whether or not anyone else might know that same Truth? Is it possible to know everyone else's mind?

And within that Awakening, you wish to forget you found it in the first place - ...

I would think it depends on the nature of that awakening. There are understandings and perspectives that are knowable in one state of consciousness but not so much in another. One might receive an amazing insight - an enlightenment - while in an aligned state such as meditation, and then lose clarity of it once back in a more human context or perspective. It's happened to me a lot. I have found though, that the important thing is not so much the insight itself, but the the ability to access the state from which the insight was born.

Yet there are other more profound and moving expansions of consciousness that remain as a clear reminder of a greater reality for a lifetime. Once there is a genuine experience of greater consciousness, it's hard to un-know it. That said I think it quite possible to compartmentalize it and just focus on other aspects of life. A practiced focus of attention can go a long way in creating one's experience regardless of the nature of that focus. Time will be an ally in such a move of context.

WW
Webwanderer

Postby borris83 » Tue Feb 14, 2017 1:58 am

Alan Watts,

Enlightenment is just realizing your true nature. You cannot discard yourself... :)

Is UN-Enlightenment possible once it written upon the mind?

Your true nature is not written upon anything.. But everything you perceive and experience is written upon your true nature, thats why it is hidden.. Because there are so much writing over it..

Realization is not a new information you gather.. Have you read "The Power of Now".. That is my favorite among all of the Tolle's books. If you have read it already, just read it again and again. But don't make notes or try to learn it or make a philosophy out of it. PON talks to your being directly. At some point the book will touch your deepest core and then you will get a glimpse of your true nature.
borris83

Postby dijmart » Tue Feb 14, 2017 3:43 am

And within that Awakening, you wish to forget you found it in the first place -

...after glimpses of awakenings I would go right back to being as ignorant as ever, but would "remember" the "awakenings" in between. Then, have other glimpses and on it went like this for awhile. I don't think I could have forgot forever, if that's what your asking.

Kind of reminds me of the matrix movie. When Morphiuos asks Neo do you want the blue pill or the red pill. Problem is once you've chosen the red pill (to wake up) the door is already cracked open, even if just a bit and often keeps getting wider over time. In Neo's case he was abruptly and shockingly removed from the Matrix... :shock:
Take what you like and leave the rest.
dijmart

Postby DavidB » Tue Feb 14, 2017 6:08 am

Enlightenment is itself an unlearning.

To unlearn an unlearning is a double negative, which would be a learning.

So to unlearn enlightenment is to re-identify with a mistaken identity, to identify with the fictional sense of self. To unlearn enlightenment is to become unconscious. We do it all the time, if only temporarily.
“Wisdom is knowing I am nothing, Love is knowing I am everything, and between the two my life moves.” ― Sri Nisargadatta Maharaj
DavidB

Postby Alan Watts Prodigy » Tue Feb 14, 2017 6:35 am

Thank you all for your input.....
Alan Watts Prodigy

Postby Alan Watts Prodigy » Tue Feb 14, 2017 6:45 am

Thank you all for your input....
Yes, I have read his book. And a few others.

I will sit back and see what else arrives.
Alan Watts Prodigy

Postby Rob X » Thu Feb 16, 2017 1:29 pm

DavidB wrote:Enlightenment is itself an unlearning.

To unlearn an unlearning is a double negative, which would be a learning.

So to unlearn enlightenment is to re-identify with a mistaken identity, to identify with the fictional sense of self. To unlearn enlightenment is to become unconscious. We do it all the time, if only temporarily.

Yes, that's a good way of putting it.
Rob X

Return to General Discussion