Turn inward

A place for anything that doesn't fit into the existing forums

Turn inward

Postby dijmart » Fri Feb 24, 2017 5:01 am

Turning outward towards objects, chasing objects in the world, hard to find yourself that way. To realize yourself (awareness/consciousness), you have to turn inward. What does that mean? Negate anything that isn't you, meaning ALL objects (subtle and gross). What's left when you've negated thoughts, feelings, emotions, the body, the world?

Conscious existence! You know you exist and that your conscious, you're aware that you're aware. Awareness aware of itself.

When lost in thought, it's not really a problem, it's just what's happening. Reflect on "who's" lost in thought? Are thoughts just appearing and there's an identification with them as "my" thoughts? The I-thought (ego) is connecting/identifying with thought patterns.

The only issue if you think your "lost" in thought vs. aware of thoughts, is the intellect isn't discriminating between you (awareness) and the objects appearing within you (neti-neti). Slips happen, they're bubbles of unconsciousness that can and do cloud the mind (intellect), make it foggy and loss of discrimination is the symptom.

In reality, you (awareness) are always present, always. It's just whether or not the intellect knows this or not? If you know this, then it's just the play of consciousness, if you don't it's seen as suffering.

Lapses in discrimination will continue until the knowledge, I AM nondual, impersonal, whole, complete, attributeless ..awareness....is firm!

Thoughts? Comments?
Take what you like and leave the rest.
dijmart

Re: Turn inward

Postby tomtom1 » Thu Mar 09, 2017 8:56 am

Sounds like the essence of enlightenment :wink:
tomtom1

Postby rachMiel » Thu Mar 09, 2017 3:11 pm

> The only issue if you think your "lost" in thought vs. aware of thoughts, is the intellect isn't discriminating between you (awareness) and the objects appearing within you (neti-neti).

And remember, we've spent decades learning and reinforcing (by repeating over and over and over, 10,000 times a day) the habit of seeing/feeling our self as subject and everything outside of our self (beyond the body) as object. It's no wonder it takes so long to become comfortable (natural) with such a radically different perspective = nonduality.
Merrily, merrily, merrily, merrily ...
rachMiel

Postby dijmart » Thu Mar 09, 2017 7:00 pm

rachMiel wrote:> The only issue if you think your "lost" in thought vs. aware of thoughts, is the intellect isn't discriminating between you (awareness) and the objects appearing within you (neti-neti).

And remember, we've spent decades learning and reinforcing (by repeating over and over and over, 10,000 times a day) the habit of seeing/feeling our self as subject and everything outside of our self (beyond the body) as object. It's no wonder it takes so long to become comfortable (natural) with such a radically different perspective = nonduality.

Oh, yes, that's why they say at shiningworld that ignorance is hard wired and constant vigilance is required for freedom. I'll admit my vigilance has been slacking lately...it ebbs and flows.
dijmart

Postby rachMiel » Thu Mar 09, 2017 7:29 pm

dijmart wrote:... they say at shiningworld that ignorance is hard wired and constant vigilance is required for freedom.

Sounds about right. I would hope that the vigilance became second nature at some point ... it's exhausting to stay vigilant 24/7.
Merrily, merrily, merrily, merrily ...
rachMiel

Postby dijmart » Thu Mar 09, 2017 8:03 pm

rachMiel wrote:
dijmart wrote:... they say at shiningworld that ignorance is hard wired and constant vigilance is required for freedom.

Sounds about right. I would hope that the vigilance became second nature at some point ... it's exhausting to stay vigilant 24/7.

Second nature at some point? Maybe, but with the fluctuations of the mind, it will probably always need a watch dog...even if it just has one eye open.
dijmart

Postby Mystic » Fri Mar 10, 2017 9:15 am

Eckhart Tolle speaks of the inner body which is described as not the external body-form but as the inner energy field of the body. The Source of all being which some refer to as God is like an infinite ocean and we are like ripples on the surface of the infinite sea. Meditating deeper and deeper into the inner body connects us to this universal consciousness. The Being within all beings.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vw_9YhAK2r8
Mystic

Postby Onceler » Sat Mar 11, 2017 2:59 pm

dijmart wrote:
rachMiel wrote:

Second nature at some point? Maybe, but with the fluctuations of the mind, it will probably always need a watch dog...even if it just has one eye open.

I find the opposite to be true. The fear driven mind is on constant vigilance and red alert for danger and potential salvation. When fear is gone, we can relax and allow our natural intelligence, rather than ignorance, to take over and intuitively direct our attention to where it needs to go. Maybe I'm naive, but I do t worry nearly as much in general, nor about my ego or salvation. It's just living at this point.
Be present, be pleasant.
Onceler

Return to General Discussion