Time consists only of past and future

A place for anything that doesn't fit into the existing forums

Time consists only of past and future

Postby borris83 » Sat Feb 25, 2017 7:12 pm

There has been a great misunderstanding between life and time. Time is thought to consist of three tenses: past, present, future - which is wrong. Time consists only of past and future.

It is life which consists of the present.

So those who want to live, for them there is no other way than to live this moment. Only the present is existential. The past is simply a collection of memories, and the future is nothing but your imaginations, your dreams.

Reality is here and now.

Those who want just to think about life, about living, about love, for them past and future are perfectly beautiful, because they give them infinite scope. They can decorate their past, make it as beautiful as they like - although they never lived it, when it was present they were not there. These are just shadows, reflections. They were continuously running, and while running they have seen a few things. They think they have lived. In the past only death is the reality, not life. In the future also, only death is the reality, not life.

Those who have missed living in the past, automatically, to substitute for the gap, start dreaming about the future. Their future is only a projection out of the past. Whatever they have missed in the past, they are hoping for in the future; and between the two non-existences, is the small existent moment which is life.

For those who want to live, not to think about it; to love, not to think about it; to be, not to philosophize about it - there is no other alternative. Drink the present moment's juices, squeeze it totally, because it is not going to come back again; once gone, it is gone forever.

But because of the misunderstanding which has been almost as old as man - and all the cultures have joined in it - they have made the present part of time. And the present has nothing to do with time.

If you are just here in this moment, there is no time. There is immense silence, stillness, no movement; nothing is passing, everything has come to a sudden stop.

The present gives you the opportunity to dive deep into the water of life, or to fly high into the sky of life. But on both sides there are dangers - past and future are the most dangerous words in human language. Between past and future, living in the present is almost like walking on a tight rope - on both sides there is danger.

But once you have tasted the juice of the present, you don't care about dangers. Once you are in tune with life, then nothing matters.

Life is all there is.

You can call it "God", but that is not a good name because religions have contaminated it. You can call it "existence", which is beautiful. But what you call it is not of any consequence. The understanding should be clear that you have only one moment in your hands - the real moment.

And again and again you will get that real moment. Either you live it or you leave it unlived.

Most of the people simply drag themselves from the cradle to the grave without living at all.
borris83

Re: Time consists only of past and future

Postby dijmart » Sat Feb 25, 2017 7:36 pm

Isn't this a Osho excerpt? Chapter 30: This chair is empty. It should be "quoted" and the author should be noted.

http://www.osho.com/iosho/library/read- ... f4cfcd2249
Take what you like and leave the rest.
dijmart

Postby borris83 » Sat Feb 25, 2017 7:46 pm

Isn't this a Osho excerpt? Chapter 30: This chair is empty. It should be "quoted" and the author should be noted.

http://www.osho.com/iosho/library/read- ... f4cfcd2249

Yes it is... I wanted people to read it without knowing who said it. If they know that it was Osho who said it, certain people who have false assumptions about Osho may read it with certain prejudice and may not really get it. So, I intentionally left his name out.

It is just an experiment that I tried , but now since you have mentioned his name, the experiment failed :wink:
borris83

Postby dijmart » Sat Feb 25, 2017 8:14 pm

I intentionally left his name out.

Unfortunately, you copied the entire excerpt word for word, without citing the source, doing this is plagiarism. You could have picked out a main topic (ie. Time) that you wanted to discuss and write your own post.
dijmart

Postby borris83 » Sat Feb 25, 2017 8:42 pm

Unfortunately, you copied the entire excerpt word for word, without citing the source, doing this is plagiarism. You could have picked out a main topic (ie. Time) that you wanted to discuss and write your own post.

I understand.. I was going to mention his name anyway, after seeing a few replies. Since Osho is quoted almost everywhere now, sometimes without his name mentioned, I thought that It should not be a big issue. Anyway, I got it..
borris83

Postby dijmart » Sat Feb 25, 2017 10:17 pm

My take is that saying, "reality is here and now" is a great pointer. However, if I'm having a memory of the past or planning for the future, these can only be seen/done, here and now. So, in reality all thoughts are happening now.

As people we think time and space are real, but they are no more real then the "apparent" person that thinks they are bound by them. In actuality, awareness/consciousness is completely out of space and time, as these things appear within/to awareness, as objects.

Once this is seen/understood then it doesn't really matter whether one is having thoughts of past, present or future, because these thoughts come and go within awareness itself.
dijmart

Postby Rubber Soul » Sun Feb 26, 2017 1:17 am

How does being in the Present help disidentify from body identification though? and therefore it's ethnicity, attractiveness, appearance, etc.

or do only the mind-made problems that come with being this specific body exist in time?
Rubber Soul

Postby dijmart » Sun Feb 26, 2017 2:19 am

Hi Rubber Soul,

How does being in the Present help disidentify from body identification though?

Imo, it doesnt, you can be present/mindful and think your body is not only "you", but the best thing since sliced bread or the worst for that matter.

It's Self inquiry and Self knowledge that's required to remove the ignorance in the mind hiding your true nature, as awareness.

or do only the mind-made problems that come with being this specific body exist in time?

The theory is that if you stay "present", then the psychological aspect of ego can't delude you into reliving past experiences or projecting into the future.

However, this often times is misunderstood, because one does have to access memories and plan for the future. So, yes, as you say, it's avoiding the mind-made "problems".

It doesn't help disidentify with the body, imo, unless by staying present you become aware of yourself AS awareness. This usually requires Self inquiry! Which would mean you see you are not the body/mind/sense complex you thought you were, but you are awareness aware OF the "apparent" person and it's this that allows distance/disidentification from the body.

However, ignorance is hard wired, therefore the price of freedom is constant vigilance (as they say at Shiningworld.com). Meaning one must continue to apply the knowledge that you are nondual,whole, complete, impersonal, attributeless awareness to all aspects of one's life.
dijmart

Postby Rubber Soul » Sun Feb 26, 2017 4:19 am

Awesome, and how do you perform Self-Inquiry?
Rubber Soul

Postby dijmart » Sun Feb 26, 2017 5:10 am

Rubber Soul wrote:Awesome, and how do you perform Self-Inquiry?

"Perhaps, the easiest approach to Self-inquiry is what is called "discrimination between the seer and the seen." This can be outlined in a few easy steps.

First, one discriminates the seer from the external objects in one's environment, which constantly change though the seer remains the same. For example, the eye is not blemished by imperfections in the objects that it sees.

Second, one discriminates the seer from the sense organs. There are several senses and each varies in acuity, but the seer of the senses is constant and not altered by their fluctuations. For example, the mind can witness imperfections in the eye, like lack of acuity or blurring of vision.

Third, one discriminates between the seer and mental states. Thoughts and feelings continually change but the seer, if we look deeply, remains the same. For example, the seer of anger does not cease to be when anger itself passes away.

Fourth, one discriminates between the seer and the ego, between the pure-I and the I identified with body, emotion or thought. Then the pure Self devoid of external associations can shine forth. For example, we can witness our ego states like pride and dejection, just as we can observe shifting sensations or emotions.

Fifth, one abides in the pure Self devoid of objectivity, letting all the contents of the mind come and go like waves and bubbles on the sea.

It is best to do this process by degrees, taking one's time at each stage. All is contained in the fifth state of abiding as the seer. When we return to the state of the seer, all that we see merges back into the light of seeing, revealing its nature as pure consciousness."

-From http://www.swamij.com/frawley-self-inquiry.htm

Btw, the seer, is you, awareness. So, while discriminating inquire, can the seer be seen? This is useful when discriminating between the seer (you, awareness) and the ego (the I-thought). It gets very subtle at that stage.
dijmart

Postby dijmart » Sun Feb 26, 2017 6:00 am

Also, in case you don't know "awareness/consciousness" is called many things by different people or different writings. Such as- the Self (Capital "S"), the Seer, Brahman, presence, being, "this", awakeness. I'm sure there's more, but these you will encounter most.
dijmart

Postby Rubber Soul » Sun Feb 26, 2017 6:27 am

Thanks but now I came up with another question.

Eckhart says problems can only exist in time (past and future) but I can easily think "I don't have a pretty girlfriend now". Just an example, lol.

So what does that problem have to do with time?
Rubber Soul

Postby dijmart » Sun Feb 26, 2017 7:56 am

Rubber Soul wrote:Thanks but now I came up with another question.

Eckhart says problems can only exist in time (past and future) but I can easily think "I don't have a pretty girlfriend now". Just an example, lol.

So what does that problem have to do with time?

Questions are great, my answers are only my current, moment to moment, understanding :wink:

If I were to be stranded outside in the bitter cold without a coat in a blizzard that problem is not in the past or future either. Of course, he would probably say one needed to accept where they currently are, because fighting "what is" is futile, then if able, take action to change the circumstances.

So, yes, I agree problems can very much happen in the now", when else would they happen? But, I do believe he's referring to that mind-made problem, psychological ego thingy again. That's a huge portion of his teachings, imo.

Now, with that said, "usually" if you ask yourself while being present, "Do I really have any true problems right "now" you will see that mostly you're okay, if you dont search the past or future. Unless of course your "basic" needs are not met (ie. Food/water, shelter, etc). So, if I'm sitting in bumper to bumper traffic for an hour, with only a sliver of gas left in the tank. It's not an ideal situation, but it's not really a problem either. As long as I'm able bodied, healthy and most importantly have my cell phone on me! to call for help if needed. :wink:

Your example, was more a "want" vs a "need", so perhaps to you it's a problem, where as to someone else it may not be a problem at all. My point is whether somethings a problem or not, is often a matter of perspective, therefore created by the mind. Even if it doesn't have to do with "time".
dijmart

Postby Rubber Soul » Mon Feb 27, 2017 3:42 am

Thanks, dijmart :)
Rubber Soul

Postby dijmart » Mon Feb 27, 2017 4:08 am

Rubber Soul wrote:Thanks, dijmart :)

My pleasure!

Nameste,

Dij