Can't Be Present While Playing Guitar

A place for anything that doesn't fit into the existing forums

Can't Be Present While Playing Guitar

Postby Rubber Soul » Wed Mar 01, 2017 11:55 pm

Which seems to be the most pleasurable activity I could experience in my life. I explained one beautiful Present-moment guitar-playing experience I had here, in the last post in that thread: viewtopic.php?f=5&t=13572&p=128031#p128031

I usually can't be Present during the activity now because there's so much ego, past, jealousy and competition associated with it. I've recently been using the mantra "nothing happened in the past, it happened in the Now, nothing will ever happen in the future, it will happen in the Now" and that's been helping me meditate and attain presence in general, but I think that might be too hard while playing guitar

Any other suggestions?
Rubber Soul

Re: Can't Be Present While Playing Guitar

Postby Onceler » Thu Mar 02, 2017 3:57 am

Don't worry about it....just play your guitar.
Be present, be pleasant.
Onceler

Postby dijmart » Thu Mar 02, 2017 4:33 pm

Hi RS,

From the other thread you linked, you said-

Yesterday I had an incredible experience while watching this Tolle video

The issue seems to be that you're trying to get back an experience. So, you're just frustrating yourself really. Call your experience an awakening, epiphany, whatever...they come and go, as they are time-bound they don't last.

Simply being "present" to the here and now moment doesn't "feel" like anything, as it isn't an experience. Another way to say it is that you become "aware" and then "experience" happens within/to you (awareness), therefore it doesn't alter the experience.

Example, I can be aware/present all day long and it doesn't "feel" like anything, except being acutely aware. However, if my mind were to have an epiphany my mind might get nice feel good juices flowing, because of having a mind blowing "experience".
Take what you like and leave the rest.
dijmart

Postby rachMiel » Thu Mar 02, 2017 9:34 pm

Try letting the MUSIC possess you when you play, then it will be about the music/expression, not the ego. Surrender to the MUSIC!
Merrily, merrily, merrily, merrily ...
rachMiel

Postby Rubber Soul » Thu Mar 02, 2017 11:59 pm

rachMiel wrote:Try letting the MUSIC possess you when you play, then it will be about the music/expression, not the ego. Surrender to the MUSIC!

That's exactly what happened to me, but dijmart is right that my experience was just something that comes and goes and I shouldn't be attached to it. Onceler's simple advice was actually helpful too, hehe.

Thanks guys
Rubber Soul

Return to General Discussion