Have You Ever "Not Cared" About Anything?

A place for anything that doesn't fit into the existing forums

Have You Ever "Not Cared" About Anything?

Postby David92506 » Tue Mar 07, 2017 8:35 pm

I'm 57-years-old and I've been very successful career wise and financially. I've always been health conscious and into fitness. I've meditated and practiced mindfulness for the most part of my life. However, now I don't care about these things anymore. What was important to me yesterdays aren't important to me anymore. I spend most of my time eating fast food, playing computer games and drinking a ton of soda. I don't even exercise anymore. I know the techniques on how to change. I just don't want to.

I want the answer to be, "Meditate and practice mindfulness. Eat healthy and exercise. Develop meaningful relationships. Practice healthy self-talk." I've had the self-discipline to do all of these things. But right before I meditate, or exercise, or eat a healthy meal, deep down inside I say, "You know, I really don't want to do these things anymore." And I don't know why.

Is anyone else going through this?
David92506

Re: Have You Ever "Not Cared" About Anything?

Postby dijmart » Tue Mar 07, 2017 10:43 pm

You may want to read this article-

http://psychologyofeating.com/simple-psychology-habits/

Make sure you read to the end.
Take what you like and leave the rest.
dijmart

Postby Onceler » Wed Mar 08, 2017 12:29 am

Yes, I've been in this place many times. I have just had to wait it out.....until the effects of eating badly and not taking care of myself make living unbearable, and they will, and then I am motivated to change. Fortunately the healthy cycles are way longer and the dysfunctional cycles are shorter these days.

Sometimes misery is the only motivator. Or, alternatively, this is your new path......who knows? You must be experiencing dissonance on some level.
Be present, be pleasant.
Onceler

Postby maaref » Wed Mar 08, 2017 5:43 pm

Perhaps you are trying to compensate for something you are missing in your life. Maybe you have done all what you described based on a need and/or error (e.g. seeking security, money, fame, material objects) which kept you motivated and now you are being freed from that need/error which is usually accompanied by the lack of motivation. Or maybe you are attached to a certain experience emotionally notwithstanding your intellect telling you otherwise which is creating an inner resistance within yourself. Another possibility is that you are identifying with your body/mind and no longer able to differentiate between yourself as awareness and your person within the dream state.

You should act as your own doctor in these cases and diagnose yourself. No one knows yourself (both awareness and body/mind) better. A good guideline could be:

1. Ensure that you know your true self (awareness), differentiate your true self from all objects (thoughts, emotions, experiences...etc), including your body/mind.
2. Have the confidence that you are perfect and complete the way you are by accepting the situation you are in as it is and knowing that nothing can effect your true self. You do not seek anything to be complete.
3. At this stage you would be able to observe your little person (body/mind) which would have no power. Emotional and impulsive reactions would cease. Mind would seem tamed and under control. Stay with that. Feel the emotional and thought emptiness.
4. Thoughts and emotions may arise, but do not react to them. See yourself above them. Observe them. Until the time you feel completely in total confidence (no strong thoughts and feelings are arising). Take your time and don't rush this step at all.
5. Being freed from the emotional attachment, you can use your intellect to do what is appropriate for your body/mind and others around you.
6. Resistance, thoughts, emotions may arise and that is fine and would have no power as long as you are able to differentiate your true self as awareness from the little body/mind.
7. If you feel overwhelmed then go to self diagnostic mode again, with practicing comes perfection.

Hope this helps.
maaref

Return to General Discussion