Ego Is Our Problem and Salvation!

A place for anything that doesn't fit into the existing forums

Re: Ego Is Our Problem and Salvation!

Postby dijmart » Sat Mar 18, 2017 10:46 pm

rachMiel wrote:
dijmart wrote:
But to confuse them with the ineffable "itself" ... which is, I think, what lovers of words/ideas often do (consciously or unconsciously) ... is where delusion and misinterpretation begin.

What are you specifically referring to??

Any thought/verbal/image-making activity that attempts to break what-is down into grokkable chunks, that makes terms like awareness and atman and brahman and consciousness seem real and concrete instead of just pointers to that which cannot be broken down, defined, or named.

Thing is, everyone does name it. Even if they are just saying "what-is", "this", "now", whaterever. Vedanta does break things down for the mind to understand which is the way to dispell it's ignorance. By discriminating between what is real and what is illusion...only apparently real.
Take what you like and leave the rest.
dijmart

Postby rachMiel » Sun Mar 19, 2017 12:32 am

Yes.

I once asked a buncha Buddhists why Buddhism -- whose ultimate goal is to go beyond concepts -- was so strong on concepts, paths, lists of steps to follow, precepts, guidelines, etc. It was pointed out to me by MANY very VEHEMENTLY (I thought I was going to get lynched just for asking!) that it's ridiculous to think you can learn about the reality beyond concepts without an initial strong reliance on concepts.

Since then I have found a couple of approaches, particularly one, that pretty much bypasses the need for conceptual scaffolding. But I've been intensely studying Advaita and Buddhism for about 5 years now ... I doubt this non-conceptual approach would have made much sense to me until I had come to a solid understanding of the basics (via concepts, reading, teachings, etc.).
Merrily, merrily, merrily, merrily ...
rachMiel

Postby dijmart » Sun Mar 19, 2017 1:16 am

.. I doubt this non-conceptual approach would have made much sense to me until I had come to a solid understanding of the basics (via concepts, reading, teachings, etc.).

Yep.. once you know longer need them, you drop them, but to communicate to others and assist them to understand what youre saying they're needed, imo.

Also, I'm assimilating Self knowledge, which means Ive realized the Self as "me", but the mental tendency to identify with "Dij" (an object that appears within me) is still there some what. So, the mind needs more work to remove the ingrained ignorance that has caused the identification to begin with.
Take what you like and leave the rest.
dijmart

Postby rachMiel » Sun Mar 19, 2017 1:32 am

Makes sense.

I'm in a similar phase of my process btw, letting the realizations sink in, fill "me."
Merrily, merrily, merrily, merrily ...
rachMiel

Previous

Return to General Discussion