(good) awareness and (bad) self consciousness

A place for anything that doesn't fit into the existing forums

(good) awareness and (bad) self consciousness

Postby trocchietto » Tue Apr 18, 2017 11:15 am

According to the modern psychology self consciousness is a state of mind where especially in interpersonal relationship we focus on our thoughts and we disconnect ourselves from the person we are speaking.( that is why I called bad, just to make clear the difference). Paradoxically I found some people that meditate that have not a good interpersonal connection if they have low self esteem, because they focus on their feeling inside, how they appear etc.,

Instead I have the opinion that the power of now is so efficient simply because as all the Zen and Indian tradition( which Eckhart in my opinion is the maximum interpret todays) points the distance that arise between the Observer and the Observable.*1
let's say a "good" awareness, the one awareness

Now the point is that in my meditation sessions I met a lot of people that become much more self consciousness detached from the others than aware.

The same Eckhart, that is a great guy, pure energy in his genuine laughing, with genial intuitions, when it speaks takes pauses, goes inside himself, same pattern you can see in great modern Avatar as Krisnamurti, Osho and other personalities I met that are not known.

I think the difference is that these people understand deeply the human beings but still are less " human" a bit detached. I am saying this because I noticed that most of the people I met with ( bad) self consciousness ( where again bad is not so judgemental is just the way modern psychology see it) also kind of slow down their words, concentrate on themselves, change the the way they look with the eyes, but differently by Eckhart, Krisnamurti, Osho they look much more self egoistic inside themselves.( I could possibly be wrong)

I am glad to have found this forum, it is a topic quite difficult to explain on other internet places.

Please, what are your thoughts about "bad" self consciusness?

notes
*1 if you are a coder you do not like this definition :x
trocchietto

Re: (good) awareness and (bad) self consciousness

Postby Sighclone » Tue Apr 18, 2017 6:33 pm

Welcome to the forum, trocchietto.

Awakening is essentially an internal experience for a while. The witness (observer) suddenly has a much deeper capacity, and most of that is internal. Before awakening, you can certainly "observe" others and may have some sensitivity to your own conditioned responses. After awakening, the entire inner dimension of personality is observable, and very interesting. For me, the discovery of envy in myself was rather startling in its depth and influence. But after the initial shock of an identity shift, there is a return to more "normal" interactions with people. Spontaneity surfaces from a "deeper" place in more universal consciousness, and can be quite captivating in conversation.

The pauses we notice in Tolle before responding are relatively unusual in modern conversation, but allow him to reply from a deeper level of awareness - often his answers are very broad, allowing others with a similar unasked question to also receive an answer.

Andy
A person is not a thing or a process, but an opening through which the universe manifests. - Martin Heidegger
There is not past, no future; everything flows in an eternal present. - James Joyce
Sighclone

Postby trocchietto » Wed Apr 19, 2017 9:25 am

Thank you SIghclone, yes I fully agree with you. Spontaneity come after a while. After all children cry when they are born, then they get used to life.
can be an important step to look initially into ourselves even if this can cause some separation.After all listening our own thoughts does not mean to live in the now.
trocchietto

Postby runstrails » Thu Apr 20, 2017 1:56 am

Nice conversation!
Nicely put, Andy--spontaneous thinking arises in a peaceful, unagitated, calm, sattvic mind which reflects/radiates our true nature.
runstrails

Postby trocchietto » Thu Apr 20, 2017 10:42 pm

yep, it just happens. so easy.:)
trocchietto

Postby Demouse » Sat Apr 22, 2017 10:44 am

That's a nice explanation. Thanks for that, very interesting topic.
Demouse

Return to General Discussion