What does oneness mean to you?

A place for anything that doesn't fit into the existing forums

What does oneness mean to you?

Postby Ervin » Sun Dec 17, 2017 12:46 pm

I do believe that everything is connected and that we all come from the same source. However, I am not sure if we are all one, anyway, what does oneness mean to you?

Thanks
Ervin

Re: What does oneness mean to you?

Postby Webwanderer » Sun Dec 17, 2017 6:21 pm

I don't know if oneness can be known from a general human perspective. Living a human experience is separation by design. The closest one might come to oneness would be in moments where our human context is transcended. Many NDE's, advanced OBE'rs, and skilled meditator's have shared their experience in oneness, but to anyone without conscious experience, it comes across as conceptual. What does an orange taste like to one who has only heard a description? Still, such accounts are immensely valuable as pointers toward our true essence of life and being, and are strong incentive to open ourselves to such fundamental nature.
Webwanderer

Postby rachMiel » Sun Dec 17, 2017 7:25 pm

Great question, Ervin.

To me, oneness is an attitude. A willingness to look at what connects rather than what divides, the whole rather than the parts. This attitude can come from different sources. Some might have a direct experience of oneness, others might have an intellectual Aha! of oneness from something they read or heard or thought, others might just try oneness on for size to see if it takes, and so on.
Merrily, merrily, merrily, merrily ...
rachMiel

Postby runstrails » Sun Dec 17, 2017 8:17 pm

Good question and nice discussion so far!

For me oneness is the understanding that there are no two things here. That is, by definition, nothing that exists can be separate from existence (or awareness). So its not that you and I are ‘one’—rather that neither of us is separate from the awareness which allows our existence. I actually prefer to think of it as ‘not two’ or ‘no second thing’ rather than ‘oneness’.

A good analogy would be gold which is shaped into ornaments. The ornaments are all different--but they are all 'one' in the sense that they are all made of gold (which is their true nature).

Or the wave analogy: The waves in the ocean are indeed different (in the sense they each have their own trajectories), but they cannot be different from the water of which they are made. It's not like there is a 'wave' and there is water which is separate from the wave. There is 'no second thing' (or 'advaita').
runstrails

Postby eputkonen » Sun Dec 17, 2017 9:28 pm

Ervin wrote:I do believe that everything is connected and that we all come from the same source. However, I am not sure if we are all one, anyway, what does oneness mean to you?

Thanks

I spoke about this very thing in a recent blog post I wrote - http://www.engagednonduality.com/what-d ... ally-mean/

My understanding is that you and I are literally not two. Not two is the direct meaning of nonduality.

I am not denying that there are two patterns in the one manifesting as two body/minds. However, it is only within the mind that we separate into two and this illusion is maintained through ignorance. Because there are discernible patterns within nonduality does not mean that there is separation. Like a magnet, there is a north pole and a south pole…this can be discerned…however there is never a north pole without a south pole. You can’t really divide or separate them. The one implies the other…they go together.
Namaste,

~ Eric Putkonen
@EngagedNondual on Twitter
Blog at http://www.EngagedNonduality.com - Insights into Nondualism and Living Awake & Engaged
eputkonen

Return to General Discussion