Connecting Tolle teachings with Christian sermons

A place for anything that doesn't fit into the existing forums
turiya

Re: Connecting Tolle teachings with Christian sermons

Post by turiya » Mon Jan 15, 2018 2:31 am

joe wrote:1. What about prayer? In prayer we are talking to someone, out loud or silently. Who are we talking to? How is this related (or not) to meditation?
Here's a quote I really like: "Prayer is talking to God. Meditation is listening to God" -(not sure who said it)

But, as far as "who are we really talking or listening to?".....(and also, "who are we who talk and listen?").... Maybe it's just an idea of who we are that is trying to connect with an idea we have of God.

And what we really are is the Awareness of those ideas... and the attempt at connecting them.

(However, even that Awareness is just an idea... until you really go into it... merge with that seeing.)
joe wrote:2. When asked "Do you believe in God?" How do we respond?
Be present and let your response be a surprise. :D

For me.... again, the question comes: "Who is believing in what?"...

and, "Is there an Awareness of that?"...

(Maybe I'm just being a Mooji/Tolle parrot here.... yet, there is an Awareness of that. :lol: )
“We ourselves are not an illusory part of Reality; rather are we Reality itself illusorily conceived.” - Wei Wu Wei

Onceler

Post by Onceler » Mon Jan 15, 2018 1:48 pm

Good point. Why do we have to be so consistent in our beliefs? In the moment I sometimes believe in god and sometimes I don’t. Mostly don’t, as I put god in the “magic” category. I don’t believe in magic......mystery, that’s another story.
Be present, be pleasant.

joe

Post by joe » Mon Jan 15, 2018 8:06 pm

The question, "Do you believe in God?" has come from my adolescent daughter on occasion. Handling my wife asking the question, which is always in an accusatory way, is tricky, but when my daughter asks I think she's trying to figure out if she and I are on the same page.

Webwanderer

Post by Webwanderer » Mon Jan 15, 2018 9:04 pm

joe wrote:The question, "Do you believe in God?" has come from my adolescent daughter on occasion. Handling my wife asking the question, which is always in an accusatory way, is tricky, but when my daughter asks I think she's trying to figure out if she and I are on the same page.
If my daughter asked me that question, I would say something like: I believe there is something much greater than us, that gave us life, and loves us unconditionally.

WW

Onceler

Post by Onceler » Mon Jan 15, 2018 9:08 pm

Ha, yes. I remember when my daughter was like that. She tried to figure herself out and asked a thousand questions. I think she was also seeing if we were on the same page. She’s 21 now and a little more independent and perhaps more sure of what she wants. I kinda miss it. It pushes you. Enjoy.
Be present, be pleasant.

turiya

Post by turiya » Tue Jan 16, 2018 7:15 am

Hmm... If my teenage niece asked me, "Do you believe in God?".... The simplest, most honest answer I can think of would be to say, "Yes... only I spell it L.O.V.E." :D
“We ourselves are not an illusory part of Reality; rather are we Reality itself illusorily conceived.” - Wei Wu Wei

joe

Post by joe » Wed Jan 17, 2018 8:58 am

How about these?

1. How would you define the word “church”?
2. Why is God’s church important to you?
3. What does it mean to you to be part of God’s family?

joe

Post by joe » Wed Jan 17, 2018 9:01 am

turiya wrote:Hmm... If my teenage niece asked me, "Do you believe in God?".... The simplest, most honest answer I can think of would be to say, "Yes... only I spell it L.O.V.E." :D
I love this one (no pun intended)!

joe

Post by joe » Wed Jan 17, 2018 9:05 am

Webwanderer wrote:If my daughter asked me that question, I would say something like: I believe there is something much greater than us, that gave us life, and loves us unconditionally.
Excellent. I'd like to use that!

Webwanderer

Post by Webwanderer » Wed Jan 17, 2018 5:18 pm

joe wrote:
Webwanderer wrote:If my daughter asked me that question, I would say something like: I believe there is something much greater than us, that gave us life, and loves us unconditionally.
Excellent. I'd like to use that!
May I suggest that the best way to use it, is to live it. :D

WW

Webwanderer

Post by Webwanderer » Wed Jan 17, 2018 6:44 pm

joe wrote:How about these?

1. How would you define the word “church”?
2. Why is God’s church important to you?
3. What does it mean to you to be part of God’s family?
1. A church is a building where religious ceremonies are conducted.
1a. A church is a religion or denomination of a religion.

2. Does God actually have a church? Or is it people who have a church dedicated to their beliefs about
God?
2a. From another perspective, it's important to have a relationship with Spirit in order to receive guidance in all manor of life's conditions.

3. Everyone is part of God's family, simply because everyone and everything is an expression and extension of God's own Being. Omnipresence, one of the three aspects of God, states exactly that.

There is an inherent problem with the word God as it relates to 'All That Is'. Rather than uniting us in one spiritual family, its historic use and common perception tends to separate us from that which is our fundamental essence - Consciousness being... Be clear on what it is you mean when you refer to the word and concept of 'God'. Does it separate, or does it unite? Is it expansive, or does it limit?

WW

joe

Post by joe » Wed Jan 17, 2018 9:19 pm

Webwanderer wrote:1. A church is a building where religious ceremonies are conducted.
1a. A church is a religion or denomination of a religion.
That's one definition, but I am looking for a deeper interpretation, such as looking at the church as a body of spiritual practitioners.

Webwanderer

Post by Webwanderer » Wed Jan 17, 2018 11:28 pm

Have you not answered your own question?

WW

joe

Post by joe » Thu Jan 18, 2018 2:03 am

:lol:

turiya

Post by turiya » Thu Jan 18, 2018 5:27 am

Webwanderer wrote:Everyone is part of God's family, simply because everyone and everything is an expression and extension of God's own Being.
Well said. :D