Barometer of spiritual progress

A place for anything that doesn't fit into the existing forums
runstrails

Barometer of spiritual progress

Post by runstrails » Wed Dec 20, 2017 3:38 am

I enjoyed reading this. Swami Sivananda was a great sage and yogi.

Barometer of Spiritual Progress

By
Sri Swami Sivananda

Here is an infallible barometer to find out the degree of your spiritual progress. How would you feel, if:

Your clean hands or best clothes are stained.
You stumbled down or commit a blunder and are laughed at.
You are hurt accidentally or stung by an insect or scorpion.
You suffer from illness or pain.
You do not succeed in your efforts.
You do not get a thing that you want, or find that some thing you possess is missing.
You are kept waiting for a long time by some other person.
You are insulted or abused for no reason.
Others fail in their duties towards you.
You suffer a loss or bereavement.

If none of these can disturb your peace of mind and you are indifferent to them, you have won the struggle and achieved 50% self control. God sends trials and troubles to strengthen your character: Greet them and test yourself.

Swami Sivananda

Issued by Chandrasekhar
DLS branch, Raurkela, Orissa, India, 1972.

Link: http://www.dlshq.org/teachings/baro.htm

Webwanderer

Re: Barometer of spiritual progress

Post by Webwanderer » Wed Dec 20, 2017 7:24 am

Okay, good news. I'm like 2%. It could be worse....

WW

Mystic

Post by Mystic » Wed Dec 20, 2017 11:48 am

When you become cognizant of the fact that no thing can disturb your inner peace then you can wear an S on your chest :D

rachMiel

Post by rachMiel » Wed Dec 20, 2017 7:54 pm

This well-known and effective Buddhist litmus test for the realization of emptiness/nonduality reminded me of the OP barometer:

How much do I hope for happiness / fear suffering ?
How much do I hope for fame / fear insignificance ?
How much do I hope for praise / fear blame ?
How much do I hope for gain / fear loss ?

The more you hope for and/or fear these "four pairs of worldly dharmas" the more work you need to do to realize emptiness/nonduality.

I can happily report that, compared to 20 years ago, 10, 5, even 1 ... my hopes/fears have significantly (sometimes dramatically) faded.

How about you? :-)
Merrily, merrily, merrily, merrily ...

eputkonen

Post by eputkonen » Wed Dec 20, 2017 9:00 pm

I like what Sri Ramana Maharshi supposedly said on the matter...

Someone asked, how do you gauge we are making spiritual progress on the spiritual path - how can we know it?

Ramana Maharshi replied, the degree of absence of thought is your measure of progress.

I can't remember who said this originally, but someone once said about degree of progress - by closeness to God...by the degree of joy and peace in life.
Namaste,

~ Eric Putkonen
@EngagedNondual on Twitter
Blog at http://www.EngagedNonduality.com - Insights into Nondualism and Living Awake & Engaged

steve Davidson

Post by steve Davidson » Thu Dec 21, 2017 1:25 am

Webwanderer wrote:Okay, good news. I'm like 2%. It could be worse....

WW

WW, by showing your humility you just jumped up to 51%! Good news it is :-)

runstrails

Post by runstrails » Thu Dec 21, 2017 3:35 am

Thanks everyone!

One of the fruits of self realization is inner peace or release from suffering (to different degrees). So its useful to have some barometer of progress in one's spiritual practice.

For me, spiritual practice has provided me with many tools to navigate the vagaries of samsara. And provided above all provided meaning in this life.

And yes, rM, I have realized that no desire can make me happy. That happiness is my very nature itself. This does not mean that I do not have desires--but I know that anything that I gain will not add to me or complete me since I am whole and complete to start with!

Webwanderer

Post by Webwanderer » Thu Dec 21, 2017 3:44 pm

steve Davidson wrote:
Webwanderer wrote:Okay, good news. I'm like 2%. It could be worse....

WW
WW, by showing your humility you just jumped up to 51%! Good news it is :-)
Thanks for the generous promotion Steve. In truth, I'm not a big fan of such measurements. Can't say it's always been that way. The way I see it is that if you have to measure you're missing the point, or possibly being distracted by a need for comparison. A quote from 'The Profit' always rings in the back of my mind. To paraphrase: 'Don't compare yourself to others as you may become vain or bitter'. I know it's not quite the same but such measurements do tend to set a standard which can be seen as success or failure. Whatever. I guess if one finds it helpful, so be it. We're all unique.

I lean more these days toward a larger perspective in life that recognizes that successful living is not measured in desirelessness, but in peace of mind among the desires of human life. After all, isn't striving for peace of mind born of a desire? Desires are valuable in that they are the creative foundation of the experiences we come here to explore. The problem/challenges stems from how we interrelate to desires and their relative fulfillment. Just my 2% worth. :wink:

WW

Onceler

Post by Onceler » Thu Dec 21, 2017 4:00 pm

Totally agree WW. This kind of measurement, and desire for this kind of state, convinces me more and more that “enlightenment” has more in common with a dissociative disorder. A tricked up way to feel nothing....except perhaps a buzz of bliss that blocks human emotional responsiveness.
Be present, be pleasant.

turiya

Post by turiya » Fri Dec 22, 2017 5:58 am

WW wrote:
Okay, good news. I'm like 2%. It could be worse....
lol Same here!

But, then, isn't the one who is at 2% just an idea of who we are that is arising in Awareness....? :wink:

I mean, who/what really "progresses" spiritually...? Isn't it just an evolution/progression of a temporary thought form?
“We ourselves are not an illusory part of Reality; rather are we Reality itself illusorily conceived.” - Wei Wu Wei

turiya

Post by turiya » Fri Dec 22, 2017 6:26 am

Mystic wrote:
When you become cognizant of the fact that no thing can disturb your inner peace then you can wear an S on your chest
Yes... no thing is (ever) disturbing the Self/Awareness/who we really are.... even while everything is (seemingly) disturbing the self/Ego/who we think we are. :D
“We ourselves are not an illusory part of Reality; rather are we Reality itself illusorily conceived.” - Wei Wu Wei

Tuttner

Post by Tuttner » Sat Dec 23, 2017 5:10 pm

Mystic wrote:When you become cognizant of the fact that no thing can disturb your inner peace then you can wear an S on your chest :D

That's such a great quote, Mystic. Just don't go too far and start wearing your underwear on top of your pants. Kidding aside though, it takes a lot to get to that point.

dijmart

Post by dijmart » Sat Dec 23, 2017 7:34 pm

turiya wrote:

I mean, who/what really "progresses" spiritually...? Isn't it just an evolution/progression of a temporary thought form?
Yup, the mind (not brain, thats an organ).
Take what you like and leave the rest.

SpaBlauw33

Post by SpaBlauw33 » Fri Dec 29, 2017 3:46 pm

Onceler wrote:Totally agree WW. This kind of measurement, and desire for this kind of state, convinces me more and more that “enlightenment” has more in common with a dissociative disorder. A tricked up way to feel nothing....except perhaps a buzz of bliss that blocks human emotional responsiveness.
Hi, thank you all for your wonderful insights. I don't know how to describe best, which words to use, or even if it is mind or ego. Still, as I had never before experienced such a 'natural' state of overwhelming 'oneness' joy and peace, it makes my intellectual desire :( to understand :( - "what the heck is going on" - a huge contrast to the moments I am able to experience the power of now.

The more profound the experience, the more the ego wants to make me doubt, this is psychosis or something I am suffering from, not an inner experience of "truth". Well, this intuïtive feeling of being right doesn't lie, it could not lie to 'me' , but then when one would be hallucinating another level of consciousness, it might bring the same "symptoms". So I had the 'need' to look for information on how to catch the difference.

Seems like some open minded psychiatrist and the essay he wrote about this, has enough 'convinced' me, in which 'category' I should belong :) When we look further into this, maybe it is better to find the answer from within, I really don't know, I want to be patient and things will start get more clear :) Off course, in the moment, there is never any doubt ! Yes, what a joy, here came 'my answer' to me, again, just right here :)

Ow, and for whom might be interested, the article I talked about is here, but it is in dutch I am afraid so ...
http://www.dokterdecuypere.be/Teksten_N ... ystiek.pdf

Anyway, this is such an interesting discussion / subject in it's whole :)
The barometer, ow, I'm already so fulfilled with being able to live in the present, as it is all new, yet I notice more things about 'me' that already were prepared / ready for the choice to continue this path. I feel not able to compare this, I know the path is long but, it is not a race, no. Still, I find the 'indicators' decribed here to be very useful and good!
The way I am still going from one extreme to the other it seems, like barometer enough for my case though :D it is all good and we will see what comes.

Thank you all for sharing, have a beautiful and peaceful day.

Onceler

Post by Onceler » Sun Dec 31, 2017 2:44 am

Please don’t let me rain on your parade! Believe no one, including me.....have fun. :wink:
Be present, be pleasant.