Merry Christmas. A Beautiful Gift

A place for anything that doesn't fit into the existing forums
User avatar
Webwanderer
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 6501
Joined: Fri May 12, 2006 12:03 am

Merry Christmas. A Beautiful Gift

Post by Webwanderer » Mon Dec 25, 2017 1:09 am


User avatar
kiki
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 4509
Joined: Fri Nov 26, 2004 8:55 pm
Location: Wherever "here" happens to be

Re: Merry Christmas. A Beautiful Gift

Post by kiki » Mon Dec 25, 2017 4:02 pm

That was great, web wanderer. Thanks.
"Miss Kelly, perhaps you'd like this flower. I seem to have misplaced my buttonhole ... Miss Kelly, you know, when you wear my flower you make it look beautiful." Elwood P. Dowd
---

User avatar
dijmart
Posts: 2107
Joined: Fri Jun 11, 2010 4:35 pm

Re: Merry Christmas. A Beautiful Gift

Post by dijmart » Mon Dec 25, 2017 9:02 pm

Nice, Merry Christmas!
Take what you like and leave the rest.

User avatar
turiya
Posts: 160
Joined: Sun Nov 27, 2016 11:14 pm
Location: CA

Re: Merry Christmas. A Beautiful Gift

Post by turiya » Tue Dec 26, 2017 3:59 am

:D
“We ourselves are not an illusory part of Reality; rather are we Reality itself illusorily conceived.” - Wei Wu Wei

User avatar
rachMiel
Posts: 2485
Joined: Wed Feb 10, 2010 4:46 pm
Location: Pittsford

Re: Merry Christmas. A Beautiful Gift

Post by rachMiel » Tue Dec 26, 2017 8:05 am

Merry, everyone! :-) Such a nice group you are, we are ... a blessing.
Merrily, merrily, merrily, merrily ...

NuanceOfSuchness
Posts: 61
Joined: Mon Jan 01, 2018 12:35 pm

Re: Merry Christmas. A Beautiful Gift

Post by NuanceOfSuchness » Mon Jan 01, 2018 4:39 pm

Oh, the moment has passed. Beautiful video. I particularly like how it was filmed amidst the stench and haze of trance-like consumers seeking that which does not exist.

User avatar
Webwanderer
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 6501
Joined: Fri May 12, 2006 12:03 am

Re: Merry Christmas. A Beautiful Gift

Post by Webwanderer » Mon Jan 01, 2018 5:00 pm

NuanceOfSuchness wrote:Oh, the moment has passed. Beautiful video. I particularly like how it was filmed amidst the stench and haze of trance-like consumers seeking that which does not exist.
Stench? That's pretty strong. How does that perspective serve you - or the season? What does exist in those shoppers is a desire to express a little love through the gifts they offer to family and friends. Is it that much different for those that gave through their participation in the flash mob in which you recognized the beauty?

WW

NuanceOfSuchness
Posts: 61
Joined: Mon Jan 01, 2018 12:35 pm

Re: Merry Christmas. A Beautiful Gift

Post by NuanceOfSuchness » Tue Jan 02, 2018 10:50 am

Webwanderer wrote:
NuanceOfSuchness wrote:Oh, the moment has passed. Beautiful video. I particularly like how it was filmed amidst the stench and haze of trance-like consumers seeking that which does not exist.
Stench? That's pretty strong. How does that perspective serve you - or the season? What does exist in those shoppers is a desire to express a little love through the gifts they offer to family and friends. Is it that much different for those that gave through their participation in the flash mob in which you recognized the beauty?

WW
'Stench' was quite harsh. I feel very lost and occasionally refer to the Pavlovian driven autonomics of humans from this lost place. They are lost too, but in mind. Compassion for one who is lost is incomparable.

User avatar
turiya
Posts: 160
Joined: Sun Nov 27, 2016 11:14 pm
Location: CA

Re: Merry Christmas. A Beautiful Gift

Post by turiya » Wed Jan 03, 2018 7:01 am

NuanceOfSuchness wrote:I feel very lost
At least you are aware of feeling very lost. :wink:

And, if you drop your attention from the feeling and place it completely on the awareness, instead... (so that there is only awareness of Awareness)... what happens then? Do you still feel lost?
“We ourselves are not an illusory part of Reality; rather are we Reality itself illusorily conceived.” - Wei Wu Wei

NuanceOfSuchness
Posts: 61
Joined: Mon Jan 01, 2018 12:35 pm

Re: Merry Christmas. A Beautiful Gift

Post by NuanceOfSuchness » Wed Jan 03, 2018 11:51 pm

turiya wrote:
NuanceOfSuchness wrote:I feel very lost
At least you are aware of feeling very lost. :wink:

And, if you drop your attention from the feeling and place it completely on the awareness, instead... (so that there is only awareness of Awareness)... what happens then? Do you still feel lost?
The feeling of being lost comes from a deep incompatibility with other people. Several weeks ago I had a temporary awakening which spanned many hours. It's completely shredded my mental concepts of who I thought I had been and the structure of the world around me seems drastically different henceforth. I find consolation in nature. I look at a tree stretching towards its ultimate creator - the mysterious darkness of the cosmos, the totality of consciousness itself - and it gently sways as if joyously waving at other passing lifeforms, inviting them to join in its moment of presence and symphonic rhythm of interconnectedness. Previously it was just a tree. I hardly gave them a second glance.

To answer your question: Yes, I've been firmly planting my attention in amongst my awareness and having glimpses of myself being aware of my being aware which further compounds the peculiarity of everything because that awareness of itself seems limitless and eternal. The feeling of being lost disappears. It's a very odd way in which to remedy my angst but a assume familiarising myself with this approach will bring some kind of normality.

Thank you for recognising my feeling lost. :-)

User avatar
Sighclone
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 6280
Joined: Wed Feb 13, 2008 6:22 pm

Re: Merry Christmas. A Beautiful Gift

Post by Sighclone » Thu Jan 04, 2018 7:29 pm

Thanks, WW - great video!
"God is love." - Ramana Maharshi. (Kind of does not matter what your "belief system" is...) And, moreover, if you believe in "no god," that's ok, too. But if you believe in "no love." Well, that's a problem...

Feeling "lost" is very typical after a big, long experience of awakening. I mean, "Jeepers, I am not who I thought I was for my whole life," is a pretty disorienting experience, particularly if it was a very riveting and authentic shift in awareness. It took me several months to re-orient. And then, integration of my "personality" with my new awareness...well, that continues! Meditation, chanting, etc. is useful, even after a big kensho. Ramana chanted his whole life.

Andy
A person is not a thing or a process, but an opening through which the universe manifests. - Martin Heidegger
There is not past, no future; everything flows in an eternal present. - James Joyce

NuanceOfSuchness
Posts: 61
Joined: Mon Jan 01, 2018 12:35 pm

Re: Merry Christmas. A Beautiful Gift

Post by NuanceOfSuchness » Thu Jan 04, 2018 8:34 pm

Sighclone wrote:And then, integration of my "personality" with my new awareness...well, that continues
That's very interesting Andy. I can't really convey this stuff to just anybody. Are you finding that you are choosing new components that make up your personality or is it an integration of your previous personality - alternatively, are you finding a new personality is just emerging as an organic process?

I'm not sure if my mechanistic view of this is helpful but having gone through this yourself you seem much more refined with your experiences in comparison to me.

User avatar
turiya
Posts: 160
Joined: Sun Nov 27, 2016 11:14 pm
Location: CA

Re: Merry Christmas. A Beautiful Gift

Post by turiya » Fri Jan 05, 2018 1:26 am

NuanceOfSuchness wrote:I look at a tree stretching towards its ultimate creator - the mysterious darkness of the cosmos, the totality of consciousness itself - and it gently sways as if joyously waving at other passing lifeforms, inviting them to join in its moment of presence and symphonic rhythm of interconnectedness. Previously it was just a tree. I hardly gave them a second glance.
Beautifully put.
I enjoyed reading that. Thank you. :D
“We ourselves are not an illusory part of Reality; rather are we Reality itself illusorily conceived.” - Wei Wu Wei

NuanceOfSuchness
Posts: 61
Joined: Mon Jan 01, 2018 12:35 pm

Re: Merry Christmas. A Beautiful Gift

Post by NuanceOfSuchness » Fri Jan 05, 2018 11:17 am

turiya wrote:
Beautifully put.
I enjoyed reading that. Thank you. :D
I have a different quality of respect for trees and foliage in general. It's humbling. :)

User avatar
Sighclone
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 6280
Joined: Wed Feb 13, 2008 6:22 pm

Re: Merry Christmas. A Beautiful Gift

Post by Sighclone » Fri Jan 05, 2018 8:31 pm

NuanceOfSuchness wrote:
Sighclone wrote:And then, integration of my "personality" with my new awareness...well, that continues
That's very interesting Andy. I can't really convey this stuff to just anybody. Are you finding that you are choosing new components that make up your personality or is it an integration of your previous personality - alternatively, are you finding a new personality is just emerging as an organic process?

I'm not sure if my mechanistic view of this is helpful but having gone through this yourself you seem much more refined with your experiences in comparison to me.
I can, of course, only speak about myself, but have heard similar comments from others. A personality is formed from various inputs over time (genetics, family, experiences, etc.) At the moment of Awakening, it is what it is. The discovery that you are not your personality is generally shocking. Several teachers say that what remains after awakening is the "body-mind." In my opinion and experience, what remains is the "body-mind-personality." Mooji also addresses this. "Personality" can also be thought of as an epiphenomenon of the body-mind. But everyone has one, that is unique.

Changes to personality occur regardless of spiritual growth. I am not "choosing" anything - yes the changes emerge as an organic process. Gary Weber's big blog is a fascinating place to explore: http://happinessbeyondthought.blogspot.com/

Andy
A person is not a thing or a process, but an opening through which the universe manifests. - Martin Heidegger
There is not past, no future; everything flows in an eternal present. - James Joyce

Post Reply