Interesting Wind Stuff...

A place for anything that doesn't fit into the existing forums
NuanceOfSuchness

Interesting Wind Stuff...

Post by NuanceOfSuchness » Sun Jan 21, 2018 11:07 pm

In one particular meditation session, I came to a rather unique understanding of Buddhism's Three Marks of Existence all fused together in one compact experience. The understanding itself wasn't profound, just amusing!

Whilst in some minor meditative state I realised I needed to relax the sphincter of my lower orifice in order to release some troublesome gaseous intestinal flora. This was at a time in my session where I had gained a fair measure of traction with my meditation object: noticing the sensation of the breath at the very entrance of my nostrils. After a few moments the repugnant fragrance entered my nostrils. I usually don't mind the smell of my own wind vectors but I had been having some stomach issues so it was quite unpleasant.

My motivation to maintain my meditation object had become severely compromised, and so enter Dukkha - dissatisfaction of the experience. After the air had cleared I saw Anicca - the transient nature of the collective physical universe, or in this instance, the impermanence of my fart's horrendous assault. Finally, it all came together with Anatta - the recognition of the origin of my gas which was not confined to the workings of my digestive system but was part of a greater process involving the Sun, photosynthesis, harvesting, relocation to a food outlet, my moment of purchase, my consuming the food and in part continuing through me into the atmospheric ether.

:D

jukai

Re: Interesting Wind Stuff...

Post by jukai » Wed Jan 24, 2018 4:04 am

NuanceOfSuchness wrote:relax the sphincter of my lower orifice in order to release some troublesome gaseous intestinal flora.
After a few moments the repugnant fragrance entered my nostrils. I usually don't mind the smell of my own wind vectors
the impermanence of my fart's horrendous assault.
:D
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
NuanceOfSuchness wrote:Finally, it all came together with Anatta - the recognition of the origin of my gas which was not confined to the workings of my digestive system but was part of a greater process involving the Sun, photosynthesis, harvesting, relocation to a food outlet, my moment of purchase, my consuming the food and in part continuing through me into the atmospheric ether.
Dude, this is the most interesting and informative analysis of farts I have ever come across. When I was younger, me and my best buddy would analyze farts, but without consideration for environmental impact. Of course, we were just fooling around, but this, what you have written here, is ... something else :D

You sound like a fartologist or fartographer.

BTW, you could suggest to Eckhart that farts can be a good portal into presence and as an example of impermanence in his next talk :P

NuanceOfSuchness

Re: Interesting Wind Stuff...

Post by NuanceOfSuchness » Wed Jan 24, 2018 10:41 am

jukai wrote:You sound like a fartologist or fartographer. :P
Fartologist and fartographer! Like that! If I was to pursue it with some measure of seriousness, I would no doubt have to subject my olfactory to the farts of other people. :lol: :lol:
jukai wrote:BTW, you could suggest to Eckhart that farts can be a good portal into presence and as an example of impermanence in his next talk :P
I must admit, I did become entirely present and in the very moment. Wisdom comes in many forms, I suppose! :D