What is it to watch the watcher?

A place for anything that doesn't fit into the existing forums
NuanceOfSuchness

What is it to watch the watcher?

Post by NuanceOfSuchness » Sun Mar 04, 2018 10:24 am

My thoughts are who I thought I was untill I began watching them. This then implies the existence of two components: my thoughts and the watcher. What is it to watch the watcher and is the method to do this the same as watching thoughts?

This is unusual as the watcher is usually silent so there's no anchor for watching something. Are you using your imagination?

Greatest kindness.

tomtom1

Re: What is it to watch the watcher?

Post by tomtom1 » Sun Mar 04, 2018 5:39 pm

How can you watch the watcher if you are the watcher? :D
That would just go on into infinity. Who’s then watching the watcher of the watcher?

turiya

Post by turiya » Mon Mar 05, 2018 2:41 am

Great question :D

I don't have an answer for it.

But here's Mooji:

https://youtu.be/5-Bmowpdqds
“We ourselves are not an illusory part of Reality; rather are we Reality itself illusorily conceived.” - Wei Wu Wei

NuanceOfSuchness

Post by NuanceOfSuchness » Mon Mar 05, 2018 9:01 am

turiya wrote:
Mon Mar 05, 2018 2:41 am
Great question :D

I don't have an answer for it.

But here's Mooji:

https://youtu.be/5-Bmowpdqds
That's quite a beautiful and powerful description that Mooji conveys. Thank you for sharing.

The watcher watching the thoughts must then be another mental construct but one that is more refined and purer than thought energy.

I've momentarily been beyond the watcher a few times, or at least it seemed so, but there was no intention in doing this and seemingly no particular method unless you include the method of watching thoughts with a gentle alertness. I may have just used my imagination though.
tomtom1 wrote:
Sun Mar 04, 2018 5:39 pm
How can you watch the watcher if you are the watcher? :D
That would just go on into infinity. Who’s then watching the watcher of the watcher?
Thanks tomtom1 - There seems to exist another dimension beyond watching thoughts. Who is watching the watcher of the watcher? I suspect consciousness itself.

tomtom1

Post by tomtom1 » Mon Mar 05, 2018 6:52 pm

Yes I think your right! You are conciousness all the other stuff is just arising within you (including the watcher). So then you don’t have to do anything other than know this to be so. Although watching your thoughts may be a good technique to help you realise this knowledge. Ie that you are free of them.

So when you say ‘I’ve momentarily been beyond the watcher’, the question is which I went beyond the watcher?

NuanceOfSuchness

Post by NuanceOfSuchness » Mon Mar 05, 2018 7:21 pm

tomtom1 wrote:
Mon Mar 05, 2018 6:52 pm
Yes I think your right! You are conciousness all the other stuff is just arising within you (including the watcher). So then you don’t have to do anything other than know this to be so. Although watching your thoughts may be a good technique to help you realise this knowledge. Ie that you are free of them.

So when you say ‘I’ve momentarily been beyond the watcher’, the question is which I went beyond the watcher?
Yes. The more questions I ask, the more questions arise. :D The 'I' that is asking the questions is never satisfied. The watcher of this mundane cognitive process seems to have a knowing of the discomfort this level of thinking produces - a greater intelligence if you like. When I put my awareness or watch my thinking, the chatter stops but the energy from that thought continues for a while longer. I can feel it clearly and I watch that energy until it dissipates. I don't seem to have to understand how or why this works but my incessant thinking has reduced massively. So, my mind went beyond the 'I' of a small part of the false self (I could never claim anything greater!) however, I was attempting answering your question of "which 'I' went beyond the watcher?" I just don't know but it felt like being on a cliff edge the uncertainty of which had me turning back.

dijmart

Post by dijmart » Wed Mar 07, 2018 4:40 am

Nice posts. I've enjoyed reading your Self-inquiry! :D
Take what you like and leave the rest.

dijmart

Post by dijmart » Sun Mar 11, 2018 5:50 am

tomtom1 wrote:
Mon Mar 05, 2018 6:52 pm
You are conciousness all the other stuff is just arising within you (including the watcher).
This ..above..is...it! :wink:
Take what you like and leave the rest.