I have to ask about your opinion of Gnosticism?

A place for anything that doesn't fit into the existing forums
Ervin

I have to ask about your opinion of Gnosticism?

Post by Ervin » Tue Mar 27, 2018 11:15 am

Hi.

I have sort of looked into Gnosticism here and there and am fascinated. I would like to mention So called Nag Hammadi scriptures, I find them to be of great value.

One of the interesting articles of some of the Gnostic faith is that the Old Testament God Yahweh is seen as a Demiurge, and that he is not the true God, but that there is a True God behind him/us. Now, some say that viewing Yahweh as a Demiurge is oversimplification of the Gnosticism, they have yet deeper understanding where the Demiurge is more of a metaphor/ allegory.

Anyway, what’s yours opinion on Gnosticism?

Thanks

Testigo

Re: I have to ask about your opinion of Gnosticism?

Post by Testigo » Thu Nov 22, 2018 3:06 pm

Dear Ervin,
I knew about Gnosticism around the year 70, because some friends of mine belonging to that movement gave me some books by Samael Aun Weor among other authors. I studied those books, compared them to others (Rosacrucians, Gran Fraternidad Universal, Anthroposophy, Budists, Krishnamurti's lectures, Hinduists, etc.)
What could I say without being too harsh in my criticism? Very little:
Too narrow point of view in relation to the way of liberation; following the path of modern Gnosticism to the very core of the prays, rites and teachings, there are very special sexual practices and concepts trhat in my opinion, exclude women from the possibility of geting enlightend. Those pactices and believes put women in a position of pasive and second class agents in a process that only benefit men and put them in the privilege role of rulers both socially and familiarly.
I got more sympathy for de old Gnosticim, that practiced in the times of Jesus. Among other things, they were the first to discover the real nature and intentions of domination of the world by a powerful and dangerous entity callef Jehova or yahvé that literally enslaved and exploted for many centuries the jews of the Old Testament.
Last edited by Testigo on Thu Nov 22, 2018 4:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TESTIGO

To land Here and Now

Testigo

Re: I have to ask about your opinion of Gnosticism?

Post by Testigo » Thu Nov 22, 2018 4:04 pm

Testigo wrote:
Thu Nov 22, 2018 3:06 pm
Dear Ervin,
I knew about Gnosticism around the year 70, because some friends of mine belonging to that movement gave me some books by Samael Aun Weor among other authors. I studied those books, compared them to others (Rosacrucians, Gran Fraternidad Universal, Anthroposophy, Budists, Krishnamurti's lectures, Hinduists, etc.)
What could I say without being too harsh in my criticism? Very little:
Too narrow point of view in relation to the way of liberation; following the path of modern Gnosticism to the very core of the prays, rites and teachings, there are very special sexual practices and concepts trhat in my opinion, exclude women from the possibility of geting enlightend. Those pactices and believes put women in a position of pasive and second class agents in a process that only benefit men and put them in the privilege role of rulers both socially and familiarly.
I got more sympathy for de old Gnosticim, that practiced in the times of Jesus. Among other things, they were the first to discover the real nature and intentions of domination of the world by a powerful and dangerous entity callef Jehova or yahvé that literally enslaved and exploted for many centuries the jews of the Old Testament.
TESTIGO

To land Here and Now