Who is to blame?

A place for anything that doesn't fit into the existing forums
nirvedh

Who is to blame?

Post by nirvedh » Fri Jun 22, 2018 11:17 pm

Hello all,
In 'A New Earth' Eckhart talks about diminished responsibility, saying that people can't be blamed for their actions as they are under the grip of the pain body. He said that the pain body is the source of violence and how 'normal' people sometimes act completely out of character. They take part in something negative and later say "I don't now what came over me".

My question is that are all criminals innocent? Have they simply been taken over by their pain bodies? I thought that it was the Ego that drove people towards pleasure in order to cover the underlying unease. If a person indulges in rape, murder etc is it the pain body that is responsible or the Ego?

Also when thinking about ordinary addictions. Eckhart says we use sex,drugs, alcohol to escape from the mind. Is it the ego that drives these impulses even if we know that drinking is harmful or is the pain body that is responsible for seeking physical pleasure?
Thanks!

Webwanderer

Re: Who is to blame?

Post by Webwanderer » Sat Jun 23, 2018 4:04 pm

That's an interesting exploration. The way I see it is that the pain one feels is an element that contributes to the ego's perspective. It's part of the identification that actually forms as the ego. That painful influence can be so dominant as to create a criminal mind that feels justified by virtue of the beliefs the ego holds.

As to innocence, of course we are all innocent from the context of the larger reality. But for most of us humans we don't live in that context. We live in a reality limited by physical, human relationships and contexts. There is however, purpose in our lack of awareness of the larger reality from whence we came. And while one might live a life of criminal, deviant behavior, eternity is forever. Once a life is lived, whether saint or sinner, it will be relegated to the context of a dream - forever available to glean what may be useful in the evolution of consciousness and being.

What is responsible, ego or (pain)body? Seems symbiotic. One might even add the context of our Source Being to the degree of responsibility in that a choice was made of environments through which to explore life experience. Dreams can be horrific, but even so can teach us much about our nature.

One thought on your title, "Who is to blame" may not be the best context through which to consider this interesting question. Maybe 'How to see pain's relationship to ego more clearly' is more helpful.

WW

nirvedh

Re: Who is to blame?

Post by nirvedh » Sat Jun 23, 2018 6:42 pm

Thank You WW. I knew I could count on you to reply :)