Literally always 'in the now'

A place for anything that doesn't fit into the existing forums
runstrails

Literally always 'in the now'

Post by runstrails » Mon Aug 13, 2018 12:59 am

I heard this incredible clip on the radio today. It's about a person who has the most severe documented case of amnesia. He forgets everything in the blink of an eye. That is, he cannot remember what has just happened from moment to moment. He is literally always 'in the now'. He has no concept of time (since he has no short term memory). Every moment is completely new. He believes every moment is when he has just woken up and is seeing the world for the first time.

Oliver Sacks (the famous neurologist discusses his case on radio lab):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z8PeBmmfNq0

Take a listen! Makes one think for sure!

smiileyjen101

Re: Literally always 'in the now'

Post by smiileyjen101 » Sun Aug 19, 2018 2:47 am

Thanks for sharing RT, fascinating excerpts.
My dad suffered progressive Alzheimer's disease, and my mum now goes in and out of dementia, so it's a known thing / experience from the other side of it for me.

That what remains of profound (selfless) love, and music (and warning sensing) without any of the extraneous 'noise' or labels makes sense to me. It's so interesting don't you think, that these things are when we 'lose' ourselves - our sense of self - completely anyway.

That he also maintained the ability to tell the time, use a telephone, and write in his journals ... at some point, maybe we give over sense of self and time to these things as well?

In nursing homes when they've brought children (toddlers) in to play with older residents with dementia or Alzheimer's the same effect happens as with his conducting. It just 'is' in the moment, and prior knowledge and skills are able to be brought forth in response to now situation happenings.

For those of us relating with people with these conditions, sharing their moments is challenging, but also an incredible experience of love.

What did you find fascinating?
Our rights start deep within our humanity; they end where another's begin~~ SmileyJen
http://www.balancinginfluences.com

runstrails

Post by runstrails » Mon Aug 20, 2018 12:43 am

Hi Jen,
Great to hear from you! I hope all is well with you. Sorry to hear about your parents. But you make some great points using their perspective.

I had similar thoughts to yours when I heard the piece. That love and music are timeless or beyond time so to speak was lovely to hear.

But what struck me the most was that every moment seemed like the first one for this poor soul. And similar to patients with Alzheimer's it lead to frustration and confusion.

So, I guess in this manifestation, the value of time and how it holds our fragile narrative together cannot be underestimated :D.

DavidB

Post by DavidB » Mon Aug 20, 2018 5:26 am

He could watch the same movies over and over and enjoy them like he'd never seen them before.

It's interesting though, as far as I can tell, spiritual development requires a certain amount of memory in order to facilitate development. At least in order to reflect, digest and assimilate. This evolutionary consciousness, developed memory for an advantageous reason, as far as I can tell.

Far too much happens in an average day, from moment to moment, for all of the information to be processed immediately, some of it at least, needs to be processed at a later, quieter time. Analyses takes up more time, energy and resources than does instinctive reaction, which often requires no thought at all. This higher ability to quantify and qualify is far too cumbersome to be produced on the fly, at least not very effectively.

It makes me wonder then, is the Now a state to be achieved, as a goal in itself, or simply a best place to be in which to develop spiritually. And then that begs the question, in the absence of a "Now" goal, what is spiritual development?
“Wisdom is knowing I am nothing, Love is knowing I am everything, and between the two my life moves.” ― Sri Nisargadatta Maharaj

turiya

Post by turiya » Mon Aug 20, 2018 11:59 pm

Interesting radio clip! :D

For me, it raises the questions: is he always "in the Now" as Presence? ... Or is his mind just trapped "in the now", as in "the present moment in time"... (and he's still identified with that sliver of mind/time)?

These questions came to me after watching this Mooji video:

https://youtu.be/ioZ2-vhpNbw
“We ourselves are not an illusory part of Reality; rather are we Reality itself illusorily conceived.” - Wei Wu Wei

smiileyjen101

Post by smiileyjen101 » Sat Oct 13, 2018 1:00 am

DavidB said: It makes me wonder then, is the Now a state to be achieved, as a goal in itself, or simply a best place to be in which to develop spiritually. And then that begs the question, in the absence of a "Now" goal, what is spiritual development?
boggling paragraph there David :shock: May I break it down...
is the Now a state to be achieved, as a goal in itself...
Goodness no! that would make awareness a means to an end.
the Now is where you are - regardless of what you're overlaying on top of it.
or simply a best place to be in which to develop spiritually
you're always there - so there is no best / worst.
Developing spiritually is re-cog-nising that.
in the absence of a "Now" goal, what is spiritual development?
:lol:
the absence of a "Now" goal, is spiritual development.

When / if you stop making a thing into a thing outside of its own time - e.g. a goal rather than a recognition of already is... then you're not exercising your mind muscles 'over' being, you are being.
when you are being - what is being - is the eternal energy, within the limitations of the physical.
Our rights start deep within our humanity; they end where another's begin~~ SmileyJen

smiileyjen101

Post by smiileyjen101 » Sat Oct 13, 2018 1:23 am

Trails said: But what struck me the most was that every moment seemed like the first one for this poor soul. And similar to patients with Alzheimer's it lead to frustration and confusion.
Frustration and confusion is not limited to patients with Alzheimer's or people who have lost neurological capacity that they once had - even when they had those capacities both my parents, and pretty much everyone I know, including me still have frustrations and confusions but only when we are arguing with our reality in spite of the obvious elements of that reality at some level.

He argues with the evidence that he was conscious before.

Frustration comes though impatience for things not to be as they are, but as we would have them. By the time we have them it's a whole other experience.

It's also interesting that Clive continues to immediately recognise his wife as she ages - that suggests some ability to absorb change/s. And the lack of him commenting about how she's aged, is somewhat inconsistent with the rest of his personality. Does the MRI images in the video linked below give any clues to how this is possible Trails?

My Granda, who suffered memory loss issues always thought I was my mother at the same age when I returned to Scotland as a young woman and would go to visit him. (he'd also ask why 'Helen' was wearing men's working trousers --- denim jeans not what any 'lady' would wear!).

I would always brace myself to first break his heart, then bring him joy, on realising who I was - it meant him not arguing with the evidence of the reality, but accepting it. In order for me to be at peace with it, it meant the same thing for me, accepting the reality of his capacity.

We would always have to coach him through the passing of time - I was not the 10-yr old who left the UK, I was now a grown woman. My parents had really moved all the way to Australia and taken the kids with them. It really had been over a decade since he'd seen us. There was always an intensely beautiful, devastating realisation of yes! I knew that! I've missed you all so much! I'm so happy to see you! Tell me how everyone is, what have they been doing?

It would take maybe the first ten minutes of a visit to broach and reach that point of being in, and accepting reality, it was worth it - for me, and I hope for him to then spend time staying in reality, in the real moments for the rest of my visit.

He could not hold onto 'me' as an adjusting or adjusted by a visit image, so even if I walked back in after leaving the room for five minutes, we would have to do the adjustment together (again).

This would bring tears as he realised both how much he had missed us as we grew up/older (his grand kids and his son and his daughter-in-law), and that in many ways he was missing us both in his life, and in his mind as well - with those realisations all at once. Once we got passed that staying in the moment was like it was with my Dad, it is what it is and much joy and love and laughter.

What they teach at about 18 minutes into this documentary is brilliant advice about how to navigate the now, not just for those without memory. Use the memory as a tool in the moment if it is available, not as the creator of the moment. Engage fully in the moment, rather than being shifted by distractions. That's when he has his peace, that's when we all have our peace.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ipD_G7U2FcM