Is presence basically the opposite of anxiety?

A place for anything that doesn't fit into the existing forums
Nyseto

Is presence basically the opposite of anxiety?

Post by Nyseto » Mon Aug 27, 2018 10:46 pm

I’ve also heard that all emotions boil down to two: love and fear. So therefore presence must be everything that’s not rooted in fear, the opposite of anxiety. Does that also mean that presence is relaxation in and of itself? Witnessing, surrender, letting go...are all relaxation?

It’s just that terms such as surrender, letting go, presence etc. are a bit too ephemeral for me to understand, they stimulate my mind more than anything. It’s a lot easier for me to understand something if I can relate to it on a physical level such as “relaxation”. Same with words like “meditation” or “prayer”. But the more I read about them, the more they imply just to “relax”. Why doesn’t Eckhart Tolle, Adyashanti, Mooji and all these spiritual gurus just refer to it as relaxation? Instead they mention space, stillness, etc. so I end up thinking about space and stillness however I can’t think about relaxation. I just hope that’s what all of this means.
"There is no such thing as enlightenment. The appreciation of this fact is itself enlightenment." -Nisargadatta Maharaj

Onceler

Re: Is presence basically the opposite of anxiety?

Post by Onceler » Tue Aug 28, 2018 12:14 am

I like where you’re headed with this. I prefer simple, everyday language as well. Relaxation works for me. I see fear as a pervasive sub-context to everything, perhaps love too. I think it’s possible to be stressed or anxious without fear....these states are very brief and responsive to external stimulus, a kind of survival mechanism. I also believe it is possible to be present through the gamut of human emotions and experiences, positive and negative. Once the context of fear is gone, we are free to experience life any which way.
Be present, be pleasant.

Nyseto

Post by Nyseto » Tue Aug 28, 2018 2:53 am

EXACTLY. With the stress and fear you mentioned as part of a survival mechanism makes sense. We would be dead without it. But even then, that type of stress if if you think about it (no pun intended), is purely on a fight or flight level so it’s a lot more visceral than psychological. There can’t really be a story behind it because that type of stress is of the present, right there in front of you whether you’re standing over an edge or facing a robber or something. But all the other stresses such as anger, sadness, guilt, hopelessness, loss, vengeance, etc. is all of mind’s doing. Alan Watts mentioned how the brain functions the way it’s supposed to when it’s not conscious about itself. “The brain can only assume its proper behavior when consciousness is doing what it is designed for: not writhing and whirling to get out of present experience, but being effortlessly aware of it.”

And then you have Osho who mentioned “There is no need to ask how to meditate, just ask how to remain unoccupied.” I think when people take something so simple and label it as “transcendental meditation” or “contacting the higher self” causes a lot of conflict and you end up with all these spiritual shoppers.

I particularly like what Sadhguru said-“when you don’t know anything, then you can pay attention. If you know everything, you don’t need to pay attention to anything.”
"There is no such thing as enlightenment. The appreciation of this fact is itself enlightenment." -Nisargadatta Maharaj

turiya

Post by turiya » Wed Aug 29, 2018 10:41 pm

Nyseto wrote:
Mon Aug 27, 2018 10:46 pm
I’ve also heard that all emotions boil down to two: love and fear. So therefore presence must be everything that’s not rooted in fear, the opposite of anxiety. Does that also mean that presence is relaxation in and of itself? Witnessing, surrender, letting go...are all relaxation?
The way I see it: Love is a byproduct of being conscious/present, and Fear (the psychological sort) is a byproduct being unconscious/not present.

And (it seems to me), relaxation is a kind of off-shoot of Love... and anxiety, an off-shoot of Fear.
“We ourselves are not an illusory part of Reality; rather are we Reality itself illusorily conceived.” - Wei Wu Wei