School of Awakening certification with your name on it

A place for anything that doesn't fit into the existing forums
mue114

School of Awakening certification with your name on it

Post by mue114 » Mon Nov 12, 2018 7:18 pm

Hi guys!
Last Eckhart Teachings newsletter contained an advertisement of Eckhart Tolle School of Awakening program.
This program costs about 1400 USD. It's still ok for me, but then I saw that they advertises it with the following extra: "You also get a certification with your name on it". I had a feeling like what the hell... Isn't this incompatible with the whole teachings? What do you think?
Thanks,
MUe

Webwanderer

Re: School of Awakening certification with your name on it

Post by Webwanderer » Tue Nov 13, 2018 7:16 am

I haven't seen it, but if it's as you say, that's a bit troubling. On the other hand, let it be a reminder that each of us is responsible for our own growth and development. If a certificate of awakening is attractive, it might be missing the point.

WW

kiki

Post by kiki » Tue Nov 13, 2018 3:58 pm

If true I find this astounding and troubling. It could be the business people around Tolle who are promoting this, which is a ridiculous thing to begin with. If that's the case ET should have nixed the whole idea, in fact, in my opinion he still should. No one who is actually awake needs or even wants any kind of validation or "certification" - a receipt for money paid for the course is plenty enough reminder they attended; anything beyond that is just stoking the fire of egoic identification. Whether they complete the course awake or not is something different altogether, and that's the main thing. And just to add, anyone who truly wants to wake up can do so with very limited expenditure of funds, or even none at all.
"Miss Kelly, perhaps you'd like this flower. I seem to have misplaced my buttonhole ... Miss Kelly, you know, when you wear my flower you make it look beautiful." Elwood P. Dowd
---

Webwanderer

Post by Webwanderer » Tue Nov 13, 2018 7:50 pm

I went and checked out the Tolle event I believe you are referring to. Here's a link:

https://www.soundstrue.com/store/Eckhar ... Conference

There are a number of speakers beyond Eckhart and Kim. I could not find a reference to "You also get a certification with your name on it". Maybe I just couldn't find it. Feel free to give me more detail on its precise location as I would like to read the over all context.

I think it possible that it's not so much a certification for any particular achievement such as 'awakening', rather simply a certificate of attendance. That kind of thing is not uncommon and is not a big deal - especially as it consists of a wide range of speakers.

WW

oak tree

Post by oak tree » Tue Nov 13, 2018 8:21 pm

https://schoolofawakening.eckharttolle.com/program

This seems to the event Mue is referring to.

Webwanderer

Post by Webwanderer » Tue Nov 13, 2018 11:42 pm

Thanks oak tree. You are correct. Here is the actual statement from the enrollment page.

"7. A Certificate of Completion and Optional CE Credits
Upon completion of The School of Awakening, you will receive a special Certificate of Completion signed by Eckhart Tolle and Kim Eng.

Additionally, students who participate fully in each aspect of program (either in-person or virtually) will be able to receive CE credits (for an additional fee)."

The print was too small for me to see exactly what it said on the certificate, but it seems to be a certificate of completion of the course and not a certification of 'Awakening'. That said, I'm not sure what makes it 'special'.

WW

Sighclone

Post by Sighclone » Wed Nov 14, 2018 6:20 pm

It would be interesting to know which professions allow CE credit for the course. Certificates for completion are common - doesn't mean you remember anything! It's far less worrisome than the old TM hints about learning to fly.

Andy
A person is not a thing or a process, but an opening through which the universe manifests. - Martin Heidegger
There is not past, no future; everything flows in an eternal present. - James Joyce

runstrails

Post by runstrails » Thu Nov 15, 2018 3:34 am

The CE certificates appear to be for counselors, social workers and psychologists:
https://www.soundstrue.com/store/cecredits

Sighclone

Post by Sighclone » Thu Nov 15, 2018 6:07 pm

Thanks, rt!

Andy
A person is not a thing or a process, but an opening through which the universe manifests. - Martin Heidegger
There is not past, no future; everything flows in an eternal present. - James Joyce

Admiral Akmir

Post by Admiral Akmir » Mon Dec 10, 2018 12:26 am

From the website...
Here's what you can expect to experience in the program:
  • A deepening into stillness, Presence, and your true power
  • Fully grounding the essential practices for an awakened life
  • Joining others on the path who are fully committed to living a life of Presence and a peaceful existence
  • Taking time for oneself to cultivate meaningful relationships that feed and nurture your "Deep I"
  • Finding ways to bring presence in your own life and out into the world to be of service to humanity
  • Releasing obstacles and self-imposed limitations to spiritual awakening
What if one did not experience these things after completing the class? What would happen? Would it be easy to let go of the attachments that would likely arise during the course of those six months? Would it be easy to even see those attachments honestly after spending so much time and money?

What would you say to someone if they came to you as a student? Would you tell them that you'll help them unlock their "true power", or get in touch with their "deeper I"? Would you give them a certificate after they had met certain goals? Who's journey would it be at that point? Would it be their own? Surely not if they are simply chasing a carrot on a stick that you placed before them. The path is simple and humble, and should be walked over a lifetime. The answers will not be found in the seats of expensive lectures. They cannot be bought and paid for.

Sighclone

Post by Sighclone » Mon Dec 10, 2018 5:30 am

It's hard to say what will trigger an opening for an individual. Maybe for some it takes the original belief that he or she will be sitting with "a group of advanced perhaps financially comfortable students, like they want to be thought of" who are listening to a unique spiritual master who has the audacity to charge thousands of dollars for "special" lessons for them and their luminous group of very special people. So they are now in their comfort zone, and maybe then can open to the heart of Being just long enough to have a life-changing experience. An experience which will be so meaningful that they will feel some embarrassment at the earlier needs of their now-transcended egoic self.

My point is, do we know what each person requires to awaken? Do we know what any person requires to awaken? Are we fully confident that all of it is bogus, and that any teacher who charges a lot of money is fleecing anyone? I can't say that. I can't make that judgement.

Andy

oak tree

Post by oak tree » Tue Dec 11, 2018 1:58 pm

Read that scholarships are / were available for this school of awakening program. Have no interest in it but glad there's an opportunity for those who haven't the money to perhaps receive a scholarship.