Is Everything the Ego says False?

A place for anything that doesn't fit into the existing forums
SamiT

Is Everything the Ego says False?

Post by SamiT » Mon Aug 26, 2019 5:33 pm

I have just heard something by Michael Singer. He said that we either visualise something or the voice in the head narrates, he said to visualise a boat which I did and he said you have thoughts that come up or you can consciously think of something that you want aka the boat.

My question is....is every thought that comes up that you DONT want to consciously think the voice of the ‘Ego’ and therefore false?

turiya

Re: Is Everything the Ego says False?

Post by turiya » Mon Aug 26, 2019 10:37 pm

Your identification with the thoughts (whether you "consciously think" them or not) is what's false... Identification = the "voice of the Ego".
“We ourselves are not an illusory part of Reality; rather are we Reality itself illusorily conceived.” - Wei Wu Wei

eputkonen

Post by eputkonen » Mon Aug 26, 2019 11:47 pm

The ego doesn't think or say anything. It is just thoughts arising and passing - no thinker. Why assign them to another mental fiction - the ego?
Don't pay thoughts any mind. Just be 100% devoted to the experience of the moment. Then you are fully present.
For the vast majority of the time, thought is not needed at all. Whatever thoughts arises just don't pertain to the here and now.
Whether the thought is false or true does not matter...it does not pertain to this moment.
Namaste,

~ Eric Putkonen
https://www.youtube.com/EricPutkonen

SamiT

Post by SamiT » Mon Aug 26, 2019 11:51 pm

Thanks could you elaborate a bit more for me?

eputkonen

Post by eputkonen » Tue Aug 27, 2019 1:59 am

SamiT wrote:
Mon Aug 26, 2019 11:51 pm
Thanks could you elaborate a bit more for me?
In what direction? What questions do you have?
Namaste,

~ Eric Putkonen

SamiT

Post by SamiT » Tue Aug 27, 2019 4:36 pm

So whatever the thought is saying it is not pertain to this moment? What if something is happening right in front of you or to you?

What about if you have been on antidepressants or anxiety medication? Does that inhabit your ability to be aware?

Also if awareness is what we are what is everything and we are aware of the thoughts sensations why does awareness allow itself to get so wrapped up in the story of the mind which creates so much suffering.

eputkonen

Post by eputkonen » Tue Aug 27, 2019 7:01 pm

Thought can only be about a moment ago or imagine a moment to come...thought is never about this very moment. Thought comes in afterward.
Awareness does not get wrapped up in the story...the story is just thought (suffering is a thought) and when the thoughts repeatedly arise it gives the impression of being wrapped up in it. It is all thought. Never mind thought. Just be aware and 100% devoted the the feeling/experience of the moment.
Namaste,

~ Eric Putkonen

SamiT

Post by SamiT » Tue Aug 27, 2019 9:37 pm

I am trying to be 100% devoted to feeling/experiencing the present moment but I keep getting dragged off in thought :?

eputkonen

Post by eputkonen » Tue Aug 27, 2019 10:52 pm

SamiT wrote:
Tue Aug 27, 2019 9:37 pm
I am trying to be 100% devoted to feeling/experiencing the present moment but I keep getting dragged off in thought :?
That happens. A long established habit is being countered. Don't repress or fight against thought. Just don't attend to them. Keep returning the attention to the feeling/experiencing of the present moment. If the present moment is most important, then let go of any thoughts about past and future that arise. Simply return to the present moment. The brain will catch the drift (as it truly is trying to help) and thoughts about past and future will cease arising. However, if you grab onto any thoughts about past or future...what you are really telling the brain is that you want more thoughts about past and future to dwell on - because that is more important/interesting than the present moment.
Namaste,

~ Eric Putkonen

SamiT

Post by SamiT » Tue Aug 27, 2019 11:04 pm

Thank you that response is helpful.

Maybe that’s why I keep getting anxiety thoughts because I believe in them.

eputkonen

Post by eputkonen » Wed Aug 28, 2019 1:16 am

Then as the habit of "anxiety thoughts" is established...the brain concludes you want to be aware of more "potential dangers" and so even more "anxiety thoughts" arise. It is a downward spiral really. The more you worry...the more is found to worry about.

Worry and anxiety are thoughts about imagined futures...let them go and return to feeling/experiencing the present moment.
Namaste,

~ Eric Putkonen

SamiT

Post by SamiT » Wed Aug 28, 2019 11:19 pm

The brain and the mind are different though aren’t they?

eputkonen

Post by eputkonen » Thu Aug 29, 2019 2:29 am

SamiT wrote:
Wed Aug 28, 2019 11:19 pm
What do you mean by "mind"?

I would say there is no mind...only thoughts arising. The mind is not really a thing in its own right...it is a pointer to the stream of thoughts. Thoughts arise because of the brain.
Namaste,

~ Eric Putkonen

Webwanderer

Post by Webwanderer » Thu Aug 29, 2019 4:54 am

SamiT, here's an alternative view. I would suggest that the brain primarily stores and releases information, as well as manages bodily functions. Mind exists beyond the brain and functions through it in this physical world expression. It is best recognized in its awareness of being and its ability to make choices. If there is no mind, and only brain, then it would seem that any choices anyone appears to make don't really exist - including this presumed imagined conversation. 'Consideration' is a function of mind.

Now you have two uniquely different takes on mind and brain. Do you have a choice as to which serves you best? Consider...

WW

SamiT

Post by SamiT » Thu Aug 29, 2019 9:38 am

eputkonen wrote:
Thu Aug 29, 2019 2:29 am
SamiT wrote:
Wed Aug 28, 2019 11:19 pm
What do you mean by "mind"?

I would say there is no mind...only thoughts arising. The mind is not really a thing in its own right...it is a pointer to the stream of thoughts. Thoughts arise because of the brain.
But In the Power of Now Eckhart refers to the Mind/Ego.